cds you sold or traded but wished you hadn't

connoisseur series500

Regret selling my Conn BN copy of JR Monterose. Now that was 12 years ago, and for some reason the music didn't hit me right. Now in hindsight, I wished I would've given it a second chance and it doesn't appear to be on the RVG horizon. Hard to believe that a CD can bug someone for over a decade. That's kinda scary :unsure: I also regret selling some of the 10 inch conns too. I sold the Sal Salvador and the two Howard McGhee's. Boy, that was stupid. <_<

Long sad story, but a year ago I had to trade in a lot of cds, and the ones that REALLY hurt, and I'm still kicking myself over: All of Jimmy Smith's BN cds that I had -- please don't ask how many :( . Thankfully, I'm now in a situation where I'm rebuilding my Jimmy Smith collection. In fact, I was able to get the Jimmy Smith Mosaic lp set off of ebay at good price last week. So, that has really brought great joy in my life, and man, the sound off those Qlps are great.
Come next Tuesday you can add "Back at the Chicken Shack" and "Midnight Special" via the new batch of RVGs!

I traded my 1,000+ rock and blues album collection in 1976 for the beginnings of my jazz collection. I don't regret it a bit. The rock albums included many original pressings with complete artwork and gatefold inserts, but it was all worth it. I could not have moved my initial jazz enthusiam forward, and could not have afforded any jazz collection, without the trade.

i have never sold or given away an lp, cassette, or cd.

there are perhaps 10 i have lent out that didnt make it back.

when i have only a few thousand, how can i do without one?

however, i am looking forward to looking backward. when i moved last in 1979, i put in a nice dry cool basement area a collection of several hundred vinyls i for which i had no shelves, which i havent touched in all that time.

in the next week or two, when the wind is just right, i am going to revisit my tastes of 1979, and am excited to know i will surely find a long forgotten love or two.

i have never sold or given away an lp, cassette, or cd.

when i have only a few thousand, how can i do without one?

Ha, good to see I am not the only one acting that way! :D

Well, in fact, almost ...

Out of my 5000+ vinyls and 500+ CDs I may have sold maybe 10 or 20 LP's or so (not counting duplicates, of course) through the years that really fell outside what I really eventually wanted to COLLECT (i.e. errors committed in my much younger days) but that was all.

15 years back, sold my Tim Buckley 'Starsailor' and People 'I Love You' CD's to the used store for $2 each, and sold a lot of the early Mosaic sets for their face value when the music came out on other labels, where they are worth hundreds now. Back then, my brain didn't comprehend that CD's would go out of print and have great secondary market value, or that for some reason the same music in a Mosaic set would be worth 10 times what it is in a normal Blue Note or Bluebird set that is just as nice and sounds just as good (still don't really understand why).

Probably the number one most regretted sale of all time on my part is an original vinyl LP of Frank Zappa's We're Only in it for the Money, that I got for a buck at a yard sale in the late 1970s.

On the other hand, I traded it for a bunch of Sonny Rollins records that were out of print in the U.S. as of the early 1980s, when I made the fated trade.

I have surprisingly few regrets of the many LPs and CDs that I've disposed of over the years. But I wish I had held onto vocalist Nancy King's CDs for Justice. I didn't care for her voice at the time, yet I really enjoyed hearing her with Fred Hersch and also saw her in person at the Jazz Standard last January during IAJE.

Probably the number one most regretted sale of all time on my part is an original vinyl LP of Frank Zappa's We're Only in it for the Money, that I got for a buck at a yard sale in the late 1970s.

In the early 80s, I had all of the Mothers' Verve LPs in dead mint original pressings, which it had taken me several years of searching to collect. My copy of We're Only In It For The Money even had the original inserts, in mint condition like the LP and jacket. I was an impoverished undergraduate, and eventually hit a patch where I needed money badly enough to convince me to sell all of them. In retrospect, I should've just sucked it up and stocked up on ramen noodles; I wound up not getting as much money for them as I'd expected to, and although I eventually replaced most of them, the replacements weren't as nice as the ones I'd let go.

In the sixties, I spent plenty of time on and off the dole and, during the dole periods, I had to sell LPs and even 45s. I sold plenty. Some I have never missed. Most I've bought again, as I became more prosperous. But there are still about fifty or so that have never been reissued on CD. I'll get 'em one day. Or if not, well...

MG

In the early 80s, I had all of the Mothers' Verve LPs in dead mint original pressings, which it had taken me several years of searching to collect. My copy of We're Only In It For The Money even had the original inserts, in mint condition like the LP and jacket. I was an impoverished undergraduate, and eventually hit a patch where I needed money badly enough to convince me to sell all of them. In retrospect, I should've just sucked it up and stocked up on ramen noodles; I wound up not getting as much money for them as I'd expected to, and although I eventually replaced most of them, the replacements weren't as nice as the ones I'd let go.

Yeah, mine was in excellent condition, with the inserts as well. I did OK on the trade, but still.

Yeah, mine was in excellent condition, with the inserts as well. I did OK on the trade, but still.

Man, I feel bad just reading these.

• 1 month later...

I think I never regretted selling any of the albums I sold because I felt that didn't like them anymore. Except for the first record that I ever bought myself. I should have kept that, no matter how crappy it was, simply because it was my first record ever.

But what I did regret was selling lots of vinyl LPs in the late 1980s and replacing them with CDs. I really should have kept the vinyls in addition to the CDs, especially as I didn't get that much money for them anyway. It cost me a lot of time to get at least some of them back via eBay.

I sold my paper round-funded Golden Age hip hop collection (150 albums and 12"s) for about £100 when I was 15. It was to finance various things (including Fats Waller records). MC Lyte, BDP, Juice Crew, all bought on import.

Schoolboy error.

I've seen a couple floating round local record shops since for about $35-40, but the money's not the thing. It's now a cardinal rule of mine as it is of all right thinking people NEVER to sell music. Unfortunately that means that my house is full of crap CDs, but a rule is a rule.