Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you see, that's why this thread is *really* called the "funny rat" - this is about dried rat dogs and peruvian guinea pigs... and some such...

guinea_pig.jpg

For literally years now I've seen this curiously titled thread, "Funny Rat". This evening, I decided to finally have a look.

Hmmmm...

Edited by riverrat

cojones?

somehow it's a bit sad to see the rat in such inactivity while hardly any new threads about anything beyond modern jazz and mainstream pop up... but then I guess most of the folks interested in such music have left from here by now... (and I've been mainly listening other stuff in recent years)

Yep, that's the problem...! Lately the purchases here have been a stack of Stanley Turrentine RVGs & the 40th anniversary edition of the Zombies' Odessey & Oracle, for instance...

But I'll put in a good word for the recent Keefe Jackson disc Just Like This--great band with most of the up&coming crew from the Chicago scene, plus Jeb Bishop's there too.

• 2 weeks later...

IHM had a crash and lost their archive of posts for a few weeks until today. They're still getting it together. Interesting place, but I really have to use the search engine to make it that way.

:rsmile:

Edited by 7/4

• 3 months later...

played some oldish rattish stuff a few minutes ago, very nice one:

31TEG5A0H1L._SS500_.jpg

The first album has Roscoe, Dave Burrell, Silva and Cyrille, plus Shepp on one track, the second spotlights Moncur as the lone horn, in front of Beb Guerin and two unknown (to me, that is) musicians, Fernando Martins (p) and Nelson Serra de Castro (d). Both were recorded in fall 1969 in Paris for BYG.

• 5 months later...

Not expecting to jump-start this thread, but I thought someone here might have an opinion/impressions of Michel Doneda. He was over here (SF/Bay Area) last week, playing with some of the local scene people and, most notably, Fred Frith and David Wessel. He has apparently worked with Fred Van Hove, Phil Wachsmann, Max Eastley, John Zorn, Eliott Sharp, Elvin Jones. I saw the Frith set--a little bit of a communication mismatch, although they both played resourcefully (Michel very free jazz in a Braxton sort of vein--extensive mastery of extended techniques, exceptional register control, a penchant for extreme velocity and fits of violence).

I also recently tracked down a CD by the Italian collective N.A.D. (Niu Abdominaux Dangereux)--mostly mostly scrabbly material in a no wavey kind of vein--but the guest list is really astonishing: Denardo Coleman, Fred Frith, Henry Kaiser, Christian Marclay, Zeena Parkins, Elliott Sharp, Riccardo Bianchi, Zamir Ahmad Khan, Sonny Sharrock.

Which makes me wonder why Denardo doesn't appear on more sessions that aren't hosted by his father, since his (present) percussion style is idiosyncratic and versatile enough to fit, I think, into a variety of contexts.

as for Michel Doneda...

I haven't been playing that kind of music for a while (a year or even two), but I remember liking this one quite a bit:

Michel Doneda, Jack Wright, Tatsuya Nakatani - From Between (SoSEditions)

Bagatellen review, One Final Note review, AAJ review

I also have "the difference between a fish" by Doneda/Leimgruber/Rowe, but I'd need to give it a spin to say anything about it.