Silence, Love or No Love for Lionel Hampton set????

okay.. I just finished listening to the Lionel Hampton set and here's is what I think...

I really liked it.. far more than I expected to....I was very pleasantly surprised by Hamp's vocals.. I'm not a big fan of Pre WWIII jazz but this set worked for me... Almost every tune swung... Only one (I think) version of Flying Home... (I was afraid there would be 5 different takes and 3 alternates... <_< <_< ). What's also interesting about this set.... is who is on it...It's got Johnny Hodges, Cootie Williams, Chu Berry, Ben Webster, Charlie Christian among others....

Another thing that pleasantly surprised me was that most of the sessions are small group sessions not big band... (I prefer small group settings.) Disc 5 was the weakest of the bunch with more poppish tunes and background vocals... The background vocals are IMHO what doomed the Dinah Washington Roulette set... :angry: :angry: :angry: but in this case... they seem to be only on the fifth disc...

Overall I was very impressed... This is causing me to reconsider the Chu Berry... Highly recommended if you like this genre... (Or as in my case.. want to get a better taste of it..)

The thing I find confusing... :huh: :huh: :huh: is that there seems to be NO discussion of this set on this board... Given the interest in the Chu Berry, Goodman, etc... What's up with the lack of love for Hamp???

There was a discussion of this great set before and after it came out. Despite what the liner notes say I consider this date one of best in jazz history:

Dizzy Gillespie (tp), Benny Carter (as, arr), Coleman Hawkins, Chu Berry, Ben Webster (ts), Lionel Hampton (vib), Clyde Hart (p), Charlie Christian (g), Milt Hinton (b), Cozy Cole (d).

Supervised by Leonard Joy

NYC, September 11, 1939

041406-2 When Lights Are Low RCA (F) PM 42406 (LP)

041406-1 When Lights Are Low Vic 26371

041407-1 One Sweet Letter From You (LH-vcl) Vic 26393

041408-1 Hot Mallets Vic 26371

041409-1 Early Session Hop Vic 26393

Yeah, that Bluebird box is worth hanging on to.

The set is quite nice, great sound and notes. As Joe so rightly points out we discussed this before and after, and I bet it gets listened to and not "chronicled" here by members (I know I've listened to it and not noted that in any "listening" thread; I probably only list about 5 to 10 percent of the listening I do.

I've not yet heard a compelling argument for replacing my Bluebird LP box. Otherwise I'd have been all over it by now.

Enough said. I'll hold for now.

You have the Bluebird box too?

I mean, the music is terrific. "Essential" in a lot of places, more so than many Mosaic sets, I think.

The only reason I'm loathe to replace my Bluebird set is the accompanying book, which is as good as it gets, imo. Outstanding notes by Dan Morgenstern & some really cool photographs as well. I've taken really good care of these LPs, the packaging is fantastic, and I don't "upgrade" from vinyl to CD just to be "upgrading". so I'm standing pat. But when Last Chance rolls around, the materialist in me might go for the "object", if I can afford it. Otherwise, that's one more for the rest of y'all. So carpe diem.

Make no mistake - unless you have a severe case of cranius en recti about pre-"bop" jazz (and some of this stuff is in the process of climbing the fence, especially where Hamp is concerned), this set will not disappoint and may very well thrill in quite a few places.

Hopefully, that's enough said!

I was first introduced to these sessions when they were scattered over several LP's in the 1960's. When the Bluebird box came out, I was all over it. LIke others here, I haven't seen any need to go for the Mosaic. That said, I'd consider it essential listening for anyone interested in small group jazz of the 1930's.

Yes, Chuck, not every date is a masterpiece, especially as we get to the later sessions, but I'd say the overall the level is very high!

The only reason I'm loathe to replace my Bluebird set is the accompanying book, which is as good as it gets, imo. Outstanding notes by Dan Morgenstern & some really cool photographs as well. I've taken really good care of these LPs, the packaging is fantastic, and I don't "upgrade" from vinyl to CD just to be "upgrading". so I'm standing pat. But when Last Chance rolls around, the materialist in me might go for the "object", if I can afford it. Otherwise, that's one more for the rest of y'all. So carpe diem.

Have the Bluebird box too. Hope I have enough sense and self control to say no when the Mosaic reaches Last Chance.

What we're seeing here is that people jumped on the chance to get this material in this comprehensive form when they had the chance.

If you weren't around then, this is your chance.

Absolutely. I have the Bluebird box too, though I confess I thought long and hard about selling it when I got the Mosaic. Decided to keep it for several of the reasons already outlined here. But the Mosaic is very, very fine, and there are some great sessions there.

I don't think anybody has reissued the similar instrumental sessions Teddy Wilson led for Columbia (or was it Brunswick?), have they? Some fine work there.

greg mo

I don't think anybody has reissued the similar instrumental sessions Teddy Wilson led for Columbia (or was it Brunswick?), have they? Some fine work there.

greg mo

There is a series of single CD's on the Hep label that covers these sessions in chronological order, nicely remastered by John R. T. Davies. The vocals by Billie Holiday and others are included along with the instrumental sides.

greg mo

There is a series of single CD's on the Hep label that covers these sessions in chronological order, nicely remastered by John R. T. Davies. The vocals by Billie Holiday and others are included along with the instrumental sides.

Correct. These have been posted on this board several times ( a search will no doubt produce those posts), but here goes again: Hep Teddy Wilson CD releases