Just ordered my first Mosaic..

..the John Patton Select. Rather than pay silly money for the individual CDs, I thought I may as well spring for this set. I fear it may be the start of something.

:D bought that one about a year ago and it's still my first mosaic... played it again a number of times during the last week, you can't go wrong with that one, only along came john is available real easily and (knowing that with patton albums everyone has different favorites) to me that's the weakest of the bunch, my favorites are that certain feeling (which isn't even available on cd from japan) and oh baby (which is tough to find otherwise i believe);

(concerning the packaging and stuff, i must admit i didn't quite get the magic of mosaic: the booklet contains a short note from cuscuna, less than a page, the original liner notes and reproductions of the covers of three of the five original albums, which is of course fine but not really better than lonehill, plus they messed up the sound at the beginning of the way i feel; guess the big boxes are a different deal)

so this one didn't get me to buy more mosaics but to seek out pattons other albums which was difficult d expansive enough ...

If I had 2 cents.. I'd suggest considering.... the Tal Farlow since it's heading OOP and if you didn't want to spend that much cash... (Although most of us will tell you it's worth it... :) I'd vote for the Bobby Hutcherson Select.. My favorite Select...

Welcome aboard... :)

..the John Patton Select. Rather than pay silly money for the individual CDs, I thought I may as well spring for this set. I fear it may be the start of something.

(concerning the packaging and stuff, i must admit i didn't quite get the magic of mosaic: the booklet contains a short note from cuscuna, less than a page, the original liner notes and reproductions of the covers of three of the five original albums, which is of course fine but not really better than lonehill, plus they messed up the sound at the beginning of the way i feel; guess the big boxes are a different deal)

so this one didn't get me to buy more mosaics but to seek out pattons other albums which was difficult d expansive enough ...

The packaging/booklets of the Selects are not in the same league as that of the regular Mosaics, Niko. The Selects are "budget" oriented offerings from Mosaic, or at least they were when they started the program, I think. So the information and packaging are quite a bit simpler.

The packaging/booklets of the Selects are not in the same league as that of the regular Mosaics, Niko. The Selects are "budget" oriented offerings from Mosaic, or at least they were when they started the program, I think. So the information and packaging are quite a bit simpler.

I agree. Comparing Select and "big sets" packaging and booklets is not fair. Apples and oranges.

Edited by J.A.W.

If I had 2 cents.. I'd suggest considering.... the Tal Farlow since it's heading OOP and if you didn't want to spend that much cash... (Although most of us will tell you it's worth it... :) I'd vote for the Bobby Hutcherson Select.. My favorite Select...

Welcome aboard... :)

Sure, buy the Farlow ... if you're a coma patient. :rofl:

Seriously, Farlow doesn't come anywhere close to the swinging, foot-tapping tunes on the Joe Pass set. (Plus Pass is much cheaper!) So if you want the best guitar jazz Mosaic has to offer, that would be it. I've had those 5 discs in my car CD changer for going on 6 weeks and it still haven't tired of it. Not many Mosaics can do that.

I was thinking this morning why I can't seem to grasp the subdued nature of the Farlow set. Perhaps it's because sometimes Farlow went without the piano, and when he didn't, you barely realize it's there, unlike the Pass, where piano is as integral to the music as Pass himself. Heck, the whole band jams splendidly.

As far as a recommendation for the next Mosaic Select, my first and only choice would be the Dexter Gordon. That one I've played like 30 times through and I always thoroughly enjoy it. Good for any mood. I have 18 other Dexter albums, but that one is tops by a long shot. And it was my very first Mosaic purchase.

Edited by mellowT

Yes, it is the start of something, it's like a junkie's first shot of heroin, a smoker's first cigarette, an alcoholic's first drink... :rolleyes: Enjoy your select(I have that one and it's great), and I'm sure you'll buy many more. Welcome to the club!

Edited by PHILLYQ

Yes, it is the start of something, it's like a junkie's first shot of heroin, a smoker's first cigarette, an alcoholic's first drink... :rolleyes: Welcome to the club!

Indeed ... I remember getting Monk 001 for Christmas in 84 or 85 ... and 30+ big sets (hey that is less than 2/year!) and 20+ selects later, I can report that unlike the vices above, the 30th hit is just as good as the first :P

Edited by Eric

Yeah, I also started out with the vinyl Monk set back in '84 or 85. Soon got the Tina Brooks as well, and I was off and running... 45 sets later, I'm thinking of slowing down. One of these days.

Yeah, the Brooks was my 2nd set too ... to me, that is what Mosaic was/is all about. Talk about the thrill of discovery!

My first Mosaic was the Blakey set, saw the ad in Downbeat (I think?) when it was first released.

That was the one that let the flood gates loose. I wish I'd known of Mosaic earlier, but if I didn't manage to get some of those earlier sets at least I've gotten the music in one form or another thanks to Blue Note US and Japan.

Due to an uprecedented (for me) financial situation that I've taken advantage of, I have all the sets in print and many out of print. It's really an odd situation I've had this year to sit back and wait for them to release another!

Yes, it is the start of something, it's like a junkie's first shot of heroin, a smoker's first cigarette, an alcoholic's first drink... :rolleyes: Enjoy your select(I have that one and it's great), and I'm sure you'll buy many more. Welcome to the club!

My first cigarette made me sick and so did my first drink, so I don't think the analogy is quite right...

(Glad I quit smoking 20 odd years ago :))

Edited by J.A.W.