Massive Fantasy Sale On Oldies.com

street singer

Order placed 7/3:

The Big Soul Band by Johnny Griffin

Cookbook, Volume 1 (Rudy Van Gelder Remaster Series) by Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

The Honeydripper (Rudy Van Gelder Remaster Series) by Brother Jack McDuff

Jazz a la Bohemia by Randy Weston

More Power! by Dexter Gordon

Plays the Arrangements and Compositions of Gigi Gryce and Quincy Jones by Art Farmer Quintet

Soul Call by Kenny Burrell

The Tenor Scene (Live)

Ugetsu K-2 (Live) by Art Blakey

Nothing yet.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's my list ordered 7/12. Wish me luck.

All Mornin' Long - Red Garland $4.98

The Boss Is Back! - Gene Ammons $4.98

The Chicago Sound - Wilbur Ware Quintet $4.98

Earthy by Prestige All-Stars $5.98

The Gambit - Shelly Manne $4.98

Kessel Plays Standards - Barney Kessel $4.98

Lem's Beat - Lem Winchester Sextet $5.98

Olio by Various Artists $4.98

Outskirts of Town by Prestige Blues-Swingers $4.98

Pairing Off - Phil Woods $4.98

The Red Rodney Quintets - Red Rodney $6.98

Soul Junction - Red Garland $4.98

Stairway to the Stars - Chet Baker $4.98

The Tenor Scene (Live) - Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Johnny Griffin $4.98

Thelonious Monk & Sonny Rollins $5.98

Sonny Rollins With the Modern Jazz Quartet $5.98

WorkTime - Sonny Rollins $5.98

Edited by Tom 1960

I placed an order for 21 titles on July 5. It shipped out on July 14, and arrived today. It included only 13 of the 21 titles.

What I received:

African Cookbook by Randy Weston

All Day Long & All Night Long by Kenny Burrell

Coolin' by Teddy Charles

The Hawk Flies High by Coleman Hawkins [K2]

Invitation by Joanne Brackeen

The Life of a Song by Geri Allen

Many Moods of Christmas by Robert Shaw / Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

Monk's Music by Thelonious Monk [K2]

Montreux '77 by Ray Bryant

Passion Dance by McCoy Tyner

Teo Macero & The Prestige Jazz Quartet by Teo Macero

Timeless Portraits and Dreams by Geri Allen

What I didn't receive:

Conflict by The Jimmy Woods Sextet

Ellington Is Forever, Volume 2 by Kenny Burrell

Jazz Contrasts by Kenny Dorham

Really Big by Jimmy Heath

Serenade To A Bus Seat by Clark Terry

WorkTime by Sonny Rollins

Stitt's Bits: BeBop Recordings 1949-1952 by Sonny Stitt

So this is a bit of a bummer. No Stitt set. Emailed shipping notice had no indication of the partial fill (nor does my account online today). Invoice includes the following: "UNSHIPPED ITEMS? Please Read!!! We keep most unshipped items on backorder for up to 30 days from the date of the original order, at which time the backorder will automatically cancel without further notice. Items marked C/O (cut-out) or LMTD (limited) will not be backordered...." As far as I can tell, none of my unshipped items are denoted as cutouts or limited (but of course I wouldn't be surprised if they were one or both of these).

Can't complain too much. 13 interesting titles for $71.71 delivered

Edited by Patrick

What I didn't receive:

*Conflict by The Jimmy Woods Sextet

Ellington Is Forever, Volume 2 by Kenny Burrell

Jazz Contrasts by Kenny Dorham

Really Big by Jimmy Heath

Serenade To A Bus Seat by Clark Terry

WorkTime by Sonny Rollins

*Stitt's Bits: BeBop Recordings 1949-1952 by Sonny Stitt

Bummer! Two of my nine picks are on the list of items you didn't receive. I ordered the 5th, added on some titles the 7th and my order is still processing/waiting for back ordered items.

Edited by mikelz777

I ordered 45 of the Concord/OJC titles from Collectables/Oldies.com on 7/6, received order yesterday, 30 of the 45. Large chunks of what I ordered/received were Shelly Manne, Johnny Hammond Smith, and Cal Tjader titles, also a good number of OJC Limited Editions I was alway interested in but never could justify paying the premium prices for.

I just returned from a lunch time drive to my local independent retailer to do some browsing. When I walked in the store the proprietor happily said to me that I arrived in time as he had just received a bunch of Fantasy cutouts. Not surprisingly he had many of the items I ordered from oldies.com and I am still waiting to see if they will arrive. He was selling them for $7.99 and $8.99 (for K2s). I wondered whether I should tell him about the oldies.com sale and decided to let him know. He understandably was not happy to hear about the sale for lower prices and wondered whether they were coming from the same distributor as his. Since I always try to support him when I can, I picked up the following two items that I did not purchase in the oldies.com sale.

Flanagan/Coltrane/Burrell - The Cats (K2) - $8.99

Cannonball Adderley w/ Bill Evans - Know What I Mean? (K2) - $8.99

I also picked up a used copy of Dejan Terzic Quartet (w/ George Garzone) - Four For One for $2.99.

I placed my order on July 5th and still haven't heard from 'em. No worries though. Some nice used deals to be had locally with some Sun Ra and Fela Kuti discs popping up. And I finally made an honest man of myself and got Coltrane's Live In Japan for $24. :)

Edited by Quincy

I asked this on a different thread today and was referred to this thread...

For those who have purchased CDs from oldies.com's Fantasy sale, did you receive cutouts? The web site has this disclaimer: "Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale." So I was just wondering. Looks like a great bargain either way.

Also, does anyone know when the sale will end?

I asked this on a different thread today and was referred to this thread...

For those who have purchased CDs from oldies.com's Fantasy sale, did you receive cutouts? The web site has this disclaimer: "Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale." So I was just wondering. Looks like a great bargain either way.

Also, does anyone know when the sale will end?

All of the titles I received from the Fantasy portion of the sale had spine notches. The two that were not part of sale (Brackeen, Weston) did not have notches.

Not only are they not shipping anything to me, but they came to my house and took away some other Fantasy CDs that I already owned.

Bertrand.

You think you got it bad, an oldies.com agent broke into my room and confiscated all my K2s, OJC, OBC, Stax and CCR CDs and box sets. They also demanded all the Fantasy CDs that I have traded away or sold returned to them within 5 days or they're gonna bring the "pain" by hitting my CC for 2 times SRP. :o I need to find a lawyer.

Edited by trane_fanatic

Hmm. My order of July 6th (about 25 discs) has shipped per Oldies.com order status and all appear in the invoice but I haven't yet checked my cc statement. Are you sure they just haven't split the order, charging each separately upon shipment?

Hmm. My order of July 6th (about 25 discs) has shipped per Oldies.com order status and all appear in the invoice but I haven't yet checked my cc statement. Are you sure they just haven't split the order, charging each separately upon shipment?

Same thing happened to me and then I checked my invoice :tdown

I called to check on my order. I spoke to a very helpful representative who actually took the time to call the warehouse. She said that they had to order most of the items and that a large shipment had arrived today and they were in the process of matching the items to all of the orders.

She took my number and promised to give me a call back before close of business.

If all this checks out I will be very impresed and will add Oldies.com to my short list of CD sources.

Ended up getting 22 of the 40 discs I ordered. I did not get Rollins, Flanagan, Big Joe Turner and Tjader titles I'd ordered. (But did get titles from each of these, quite a few Rollins, three Tjaders, three Turners and a Flanagan.) Ordered the Rollins and Turner I didn't from Oldies at not too much more from half.com and amazon.com.

Edited by jazzbo

I only ordered nine titles so I'm hoping for a better fill percentage than you received. I see from someone's earlier post that they did not receive 2 of the titles that I ordered so we're already looking at almost a 25% no-fill rate if it holds true for me as well. I'm still waiting (im)patiently to hear or see anything on my order. Maybe I set myself back when I added some titles to my order 2 days after my initial order on the 5th. Any day now, right? (fingers crossed)

I only ordered nine titles so I'm hoping for a better fill percentage than you received. I see from someone's earlier post that they did not receive 2 of the titles that I ordered so we're already looking at almost a 25% no-fill rate if it holds true for me as well. I'm still waiting (im)patiently to hear or see anything on my order. Maybe I set myself back when I added some titles to my order 2 days after my initial order on the 5th. Any day now, right? (fingers crossed)

I received an email a couple of days ago that my July 9 order had shipped. No such email for my July 4 order.

In looking at the Oldies site, it doesn't appear that they are removing any titles that have been appearing on people's not-filled list. Is that a sign of hope that the non-filled portions of peoples orders will eventually be filled since they are still showing that they are listed for sale or is it more likely that Oldies doesn't know what stock they can get their hands on and aren't updating the listings in the sale?

Received Thursday

Ordered 29.....received 20.

MIA:

Hampton Hawes...Sermon

Sonny Rollins.......Sonny Boy

Hal Galper ..........Live

Willis Jackson.......Gravy

Curtis Fuller.........w/Red Garland

T. Flanagan..........Our Delights

Elmo Hope...........All Star Sessions

R. Garland...........P C Blues

Frank Morgan.......Love Lost and Found

The shipping reciept says these will remain on backorder for 30 days, I believe.