Massive Fantasy Sale On Oldies.com

street singer

I sent an email to Oldies saying that I read a jazz board where people who ordered on the same date & after were having orders filled. I quickly got 2 replies, the first stating "if there's any upside, it's that our fill rate on the product has gotten A LOT better this week, as more shipments of clearance product have arrived in our warehouse... so you'll see a much better fill today versus if we filled back the first week in July." He followed in another a bit later by saying my order shipped today and that I should be getting an automated email later saying as much. I'm pretty impressed by getting such quick emails.

The 4 that weren't filled (yet) were:

Stan Getz - Pure Getz

Jimmy Woods - Awakening

John Fahey - Voice of the Turtle

Stitt's Bits

In the 2nd email the customer service rep said "there's a pretty good chance we'll be able to get these to you within the next week or two."

The rest were filled:

Ken McIntyre - Looking Ahead

Brother Joe May - Live 1952-1955

Art Blakey - Coast To Coast (previously my latest Blakey was Industructible!)

Cal Tjader - Jazz at the Blackhawk

Kenny Dorham Quintet - s/t

Frank Rosolino - Free For All

John Lee Hooker - Graveyard Blues

Guitar Slim - Sufferin' Mind

Zoot Sims - For Lady Day

Little Richard - The Georgia Peach

Jimmy Woods Sextet - Conflict

Steve Lacy - Evidence

Lee Konitz - Peacemeal

Thad Jones - The Fabulous...

Art Farmer Quintet - Blame It On My Youth

Thelonious Monk - At The Blackhawk (not many left that I don't have. Not sure it was needed but I couldn't help myself.)

Looks like I'll have some listening to do as July turns to August.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's my list ordered 7/12. Wish me luck.

All Mornin' Long - Red Garland $4.98

The Boss Is Back! - Gene Ammons $4.98

The Chicago Sound - Wilbur Ware Quintet $4.98

Earthy by Prestige All-Stars $5.98

The Gambit - Shelly Manne $4.98

Kessel Plays Standards - Barney Kessel $4.98

Lem's Beat - Lem Winchester Sextet $5.98

Olio by Various Artists $4.98

Outskirts of Town by Prestige Blues-Swingers $4.98

Pairing Off - Phil Woods $4.98

The Red Rodney Quintets - Red Rodney $6.98

Soul Junction - Red Garland $4.98

Stairway to the Stars - Chet Baker $4.98

The Tenor Scene (Live) - Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Johnny Griffin $4.98

Thelonious Monk & Sonny Rollins $5.98

Sonny Rollins With the Modern Jazz Quartet $5.98

WorkTime - Sonny Rollins $5.98

I just received my shipment. I received the entire order with the exception of Red Garland's "Soul Junction" and Phil Woods "Pairing Off". No complaints here. As other posters have stated there is a cut in the bottom corner of the spine. Not really a big deal to me considering I was able to acquire some hard to find releases. A happy customer.

Still waiting too for my order from the 5th. I called them today and was pretty underwhelmed with a disinterested customer service rep. All that I was able to wrench out of her was that something, possibly an invoice(?), was supposedly printed out in the warehouse today which supposedly means that they are pulling the order today. The order supposedly is set to ship today or Monday. Judging from the customer service rep's indifference, I'm not especially confident in what I was told but I will hope for the best. I didn't think I'd dare ask what items might or might not ship.

So what do I do to reward such stellar service? I placed an order for 4 more discs! It's a sickness, I know.

Edited by mikelz777

8 of my 9 showed up yesterday.

I had called them Friday about the status - Setting The Pace is on backorder because they had to order more. I bet all you bastards ordered it as well :P

Glad to have KD's This Is The Moment! - that one's going to be impossible to find in the future.

Bertrand.

Just got two packages today: more (but still not all) of my first order and partial shipment of my second order. Looks like we may get all of these discs after all; just may take a little while.

Sounds promising. My credit card just got charged an amount equal to the total for 6 of 8 remaining items in my order--looks like one $4.98 title and one $5.98 title (which is either Burrell All Day Long & All Night Long or Rollins WorkTime) won't be included in the second shipment.

Edited by Patrick

My credit card just got charged an amount equal to the total for 6 of 8 remaining items in my order--looks like one $4.98 title and one $5.98 title (which is either Burrell All Day Long & All Night Long or Rollins WorkTime) won't be included in the second shipment.

Hey yo! Just checked & much the same happened to me. I'm $4.98 short...all things considered, I hope it's the Stitt...

Yesterday, I broke down and ordered 4 copies of the Stitt box. Today, I got a shipping notice and a credit card charge suggesting that all four shipped. (That was my entire order. One copy for my favorite library and three Christmas gift copies. I really do like that box. Hope my mother-in-law does too.)

Edited by BeBop

Yesterday, I broke down and ordered 4 copies of the Stitt box. Today, I got a shipping notice and a credit card charge suggesting that all four shipped. (That was my entire order. One copy for my favorite library and three Christmas gift copies. I really do like that box. Hope my mother-in-law does too.)

I ordered 1 copy of the Stitt set on 8 July, and just got an email saying they weren't able to fulfill my order and were cancelling it today.

Curious they can fulfill your order of 4 copies so quickly.

edit - Spoke with 2-3 people from Oldies since this post on the phone, and one guy told me that my order was already going out today, despite the cancellation email. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by Aggie87

Where are the clowns?

For a while there, I was beginning to think that Oldies had turned into something of a circus. But then I remembered the "delights" of dealing with CMG during the big sale and realized that now Oldies was playing the middleman, dealing with CMG on my behalf.

Now there's something to be thankful for.

Well, Oldies IS filling backorders; I got about 20 from two orders arriving today (not everything, but nearly).

I didn't realize they would according to my original invoice so I had ordered the following from amzon.com for about the same price and a bit more, and now I have these duplicates in case anyone is interested.

Sonny Rollins, "Easy Livin'", OJC, 5 dollars including postage to a US address

Sonny Rollins, "This is What I Do", OJC, 5 dollars including postage to a US address

Sonny Rollins, "The Cutting Edge", OJC, 5 dollars including postage to a US address

Sonny Rollins, "Sunny Days, Starry Nights", OJC, 5 dollars including postage to a US address

Sonny Rollins, "Falling in Love with Jazz," OJC, 5 dollars including postage to a US address

Chick Corea/Gary Burton, "The New Crystal Silence," 2 CD set, sealed, 5 dollars including postage to a US address

Edited by jazzbo

Hey, whatta fantastic idea!!! :tup

I ordered 1 copy of the Stitt set on 8 July, and just got an email saying they weren't able to fulfill my order and were cancelling it today.

Curious they can fulfill your order of 4 copies so quickly.

edit - Spoke with 2-3 people from Oldies since this post on the phone, and one guy told me that my order was already going out today, despite the cancellation email. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

I also ordered a copy of the Stitt set on July 8 and got a cancellation e-mail yesterday. Today Oldies.com's customer service manager told me they had cancelled my order because they couldn't fill it.

They have their priorities mixed up; cancelling earlier orders while filling a later one for the same set isn't my idea of fair play :tdown