Massive Fantasy Sale On Oldies.com

street singer

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much agree with Hans. I don't know why my 8 July order was cancelled yesterday either, and BeBop's from only a couple of days ago has been filled.

After talking with them on the phone I still don't understand.

My "hope" turned out to be short lived. I got a cancellation notice, and an assurance that my credit card charge would be refunded.

Very much agree with Hans. I don't know why my 8 July order was cancelled yesterday either, and BeBop's from only a couple of days ago has been filled.

After talking with them on the phone I still don't understand.

My "hope" turned out to be short lived. I got a cancellation notice, and an assurance that my credit card charge would be refunded.

That confirms my impression that they don't know what they're doing at Oldies.com. They charged me twice for something else last week and refunded the overcharge after I had complained. They're making a mess of things :tdown

My box of 6 arrived today. The two missing items were the Stitt box and Burrell All Day Long & All Night Long.

Just in case you're thinking about getting the Burrell somewhere else, it doesn't have the extra tracks that are on the individual Original Jazz Classics CD reissues.

Edited by J.A.W.

My box of 6 arrived today. The two missing items were the Stitt box and Burrell All Day Long & All Night Long.

Just in case you're thinking about getting the Burrell somewhere else, it doesn't have the extra tracks that are on the individual Original Jazz Classics CD reissues.

Thanks for the tip. This was not an essential title in my order.

I got my back-ordered Setting The Pace today, which completes my order of 9 (modest by youse guys standards, I know).

So other than Stitt's Bits, what titles have been declared officially unavailable by oldies.com? Note that it is still listed on their site (1-3 days), but the 'over 2,300' titles is now 'over 2,000', so they must have dropped some titles.

I plan to make small orders from time to time until they declare their stock depleted. I know some of these will be gone for good afterwards, but I just can't get 100 CDs at a time. I have accumulated a healthy Fantasy collection over the years. It's astounding how much good stuff there still is in their sale that I could get, and I'm not even thinking about stuff that I could get for regular price at Concord, Newbury etc.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Ordering tomorrow:

Art Pepper - Winter Moon

Charles Mingus - Right Now

Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite

Shelley Manne - The Gambit

Shelley Manne - The Three & The Two

Al Haig - Trio & Sextets

Johnny Griffin - Big Soul Band

Johnny Griffin - Change of Pace

Duane Tatro - Jazz For Moderns

Gene Ammons - Jammin' in Hi-Fi

Wilbur Ware - The Chicago Sound

Frank Rosolino - Free For All

Ken McIntyre - Looking Ahead

Barney Kessel - Poll Winners

Teddy Charles - New Directions

Might go back for the Griffin White Gardenias date, some more Manne and Rollins, the John Dennis, maybe Chet's Lerner & Lowe set...we'll see how much longer this goes on I guess.

So other than Stitt's Bits, what titles have been declared officially unavailable by oldies.com? Note that it is still listed on their site (1-3 days), but the 'over 2,300' titles is now 'over 2,000', so they must have dropped some titles.

Apparently everything in my July 5th order. (although they are all still listed as available for sale)

Jimmy Woods - Conflict

Jimmy Woods - Awakening!

Red Rodney - Red Rodney Quintets

Shorty Baker/Doc Cheatham - Shorty & Doc

Various - Birdlanders, v.1

Various - Birdlanders, v. 2

Jimmy Heath - Swamp Seed

Charles Kynard - Legends Of Acid Jazz

My July 5th order is still "processing" "waiting for back-ordered products." I placed a second order for 4 discs on July 25th and have already received notice that it shipped. I've called twice on the 7/5 order and got nothing that shed any light on anything. I've emailed twice regarding the status (albeit one was only 24 hours ago) and didn't get a response. I'm not back from vacation until August 3rd so I will give them until then. If I don't hear anything by then I guess I'll have to insist I talk with a manager and try to get some kind of concrete answer. Is everything I ordered out of print? I've seen others receive some of the titles I ordered. You'd think I'd at least get a partial order that should have shipped by now.

Yeah, it's tough to tell for sure. I just got shipments 2 and 3 of my order and thought it was rather odd which ones still haven't gotten here.

Art Farmer Farmer's Market

Bill Evans Interplay Sessions

Arturo O'Farrill Blood Lines

Strangely enough, the Evans and O'Farrill are still available on Oldies.com but don't show the sale pricing anymore.

Has anyone actually received the Stitt box, and when did you place your order?

I was wondering about that too. I haven't read the whole thread, but all I've recently seen were posts about the Stitt set being unavailable.

Edited by J.A.W.

I was finally notified that my order shipped. Luckily, it seems like it shipped complete:

Amtrak Blues by Alberta Hunter (CD)

Ben & Sweets by Ben Webster (CD)

Desmond Blue by Paul Desmond (CD)

Easy Living by Paul Desmond (CD)

For the Duration by Rosemary Clooney (CD)

Greatest Jazz Concert in the World (3-CD) by Various Artists (CD)

Highlights From The Plugged Nickel by Miles Davis (CD)

Like Someone in Love (Live) by Paul Desmond (CD)

Live by Johnny Winter (CD)

Live at Donte's by Joe Pass (CD)

Poinciana by Ahmad Jamal (CD)

Second Winter by Johnny Winter (CD)

Sunflower by Milt Jackson (CD)

The Trombone Master by J.J. Johnson (CD)

Yokohama Concert Volume 2: Chain Reaction (Live) by J.J. Johnson (CD)

I was finally notified that my order shipped. Luckily, it seems like it shipped complete:

Does the charged amount match what the entire order should cost? I think this is the only way to confirm that an order actually shipped completely. There is no updating on their orders page for partial fills.

Does the charged amount match what the entire order should cost? I think this is the only way to confirm that an order actually shipped completely. There is no updating on their orders page for partial fills.

Uh oh. I'll wait with baited breath.

Has anyone actually received the Stitt box, and when did you place your order?

I was wondering about that too. I haven't read the whole thread, but all I've recently seen were posts about the Stitt set being unavailable.

I gotta think that $4.98 for a triple-disc set was a pricing error & that they either sold our super-fast or somehow froze the stock for a future repricing.

I had overlooked the latest offer from Oldies.com and ordered the Kenny Dorham vocal album from some amazon marketplace seller, and it was a cutout. No idea where he got it from, but it was still in shrinkwrap.

BTW - that CD misses then opportunity of adding the instrumental track "Optional" from those sessions, which was issued on the "New Blue Horns" compilation - one of the instances where they didn't care to look at the discographical details before pulling the master tape.

Nat Adderley's album with the Three Sounds is another case in point.

Edited by mikeweil

Did not receive titles in bold:

Lockjaw Davis Trane Whistle

Lester Young In Washington D.C. 1956, Volume 5

The Jimmy Woods Sextet Conflict

Sonny Stitt Stitt's Bits: BeBop Recordings 1949-1952

Thelonious Monk Monk's Music (advertised as the K-2 version, let's hope so...) it was.

Jack DeJohnette The DeJohnette Complex

Art Blakey Child's Dance

Art Blakey Mission Eternal

Cannonball Adderley Pyramid

Let's see how/if this backordering thing goes down...

My credit card just got charged an amount equal to the total for 6 of 8 remaining items in my order--looks like one $4.98 title and one $5.98 title (which is either Burrell All Day Long & All Night Long or Rollins WorkTime) won't be included in the second shipment.

Hey yo! Just checked & much the same happened to me. I'm $4.98 short...all things considered, I hope it's the Stitt...

And it was.

Here's my oldies.com order:

Dream Band (Live) by Terry Gibbs

Dream Band, Volume 2: The Sundown Sessions (Live) by Terry Gibbs

Dream Band, Volume 3: Flying Home (Live) by Terry Gibbs

Dream Band, Volume 4: Main Stem (Live) by Terry Gibbs

(I already have volume 5!)

Extremes: Cal Tjader Trio / Breathe Easy by Cal Tjader

From Another Perspective by Peter Leitch

Guitar Moods by Mundell Lowe by Mundell Lowe

The Hawk Flies High [20-Bit K2 Super Encoding] by Coleman Hawkins

In the Pocket (2-CD) by Herb Ellis

The Jazz Scene: San Francisco by Various Artists

Latinsville by Victor Feldman

Our Blues: Concert on the Campus / Cal Tjader by Cal Tjader

(the info for this actually lists the info for the SENTIMENTAL MOODS CD. We shall see. I'll take either!)

Plays Fire Down Below by Ted Curson

Plays the Arrangements and Compositions of Gigi Gryce and Quincy Jones by Art Farmer

Soul Call by Kenny Burrell

Soul Outing! by Frank Foster

Trio / Quartet '91 by Peter Leitch

Wes Montgomery Trio (20bit K2 Super Coding) by Wes Montgomery

Was going to order the Charles Kynard SOUL BROTHERHOOD, but they went and changed the price from $5.98 to its regular price. Maybe another time.

Just a heads up, I got the following message in an email from Oldies last Friday:

"On a side note, if you're interested in ordering any more, I'd highly recommend doing so in the next couple days... our stock today is at the best level in the last 30 days, and we've got stock on most titles now..., but it's going fast..."