Herb Ellis 1921-2010

brownie

I've found a lot of jazz musicians play it -- it's I Got Rhythm changes, so it's as universal as the blues. since everyone in the audience knows the Flintstones Theme, it's a connection with the half of the crowd that knows naught about the music.

I think the first jazz guy I heard play it was Clark Terry. It was kind of clever initially in the 70s or so, but now it's just kind of tired.

The other garbled song line that people never seem to know is "Gee our old LaSalle ran great" from the All in the Family theme.

Back on topic, RIP Herb Ellis.

"Nothing But the Blues" is a wonderful session...

r.i.p.

Man, RIP. Just picked up "Nothing But the Blues" a couple of weeks ago and it has surely convinced me that this man can play. Besides "Ellis in Wonderland" I have nothing else by him, but these two dates are really really good.

He definitely enlivened any date he appeared on - they are probably hard to find at this point but he recorded Roll Call as a leader for Justice Records, easily recommended, with Mel Rhyne on organ.

RIP.

Never heard of that one. Interesting.

MG

That's a very nice record indeed! Will spin it later.

R.I.P.

Sad news indeed.

I almost "met" him tangentially. I was living in Jo'burg, South Africa, in the early 70s, and Herb visited there in late 1974 or early 1975. I was on vacation in England at the time, and our drummer, Joe, ferried Herb around in my car for the duration of his visit. Herb insisted in playing at a concert in a black township near Pretoria, where things turned ugly, almost violent; he was glad to get out of there, and said "never again", lol.

• 4 years later...

Not a great fan maybe, but a fan I am! "Nothing But the Blues" is a wonderful session, and there's plenty of fine Ellis with Oscar Peterson, too!

But I confess, I had no idea he was still around mellow.gif

r.i.p.

I recently picked up NbtB (the 2CD set on Avid) and man, this is a glorious album.

Not a great fan maybe, but a fan I am! "Nothing But the Blues" is a wonderful session, and there's plenty of fine Ellis with Oscar Peterson, too!

But I confess, I had no idea he was still around mellow.gif

r.i.p.

I recently picked up NbtB (the 2CD set on Avid) and man, this is a glorious album.

Great music indeed!!