What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

Listening to Billy Hart's Enchance (A&M Horizon) Oliver Lake, Dewey Redman, Eddie Henderson, Hannibal, Don Pullen, Dave Holland, Buster Williams, Michael Carvin... A great album which lives up to the all-star casting.

I'm going to pull out and listen to two other Horizon LPs later (Revolutionary Ensemble and Sonny Fortune's Awakening)and which I have good memories of. Never seen any of these on CD...

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Billy Hart HAS been out on CD - I have it - but I'm pretty sure the others haven't. The Horizon series of albums WOULD make make a nice re-issue set although a number of them have already been re-issued on CD. There are a couple by Dave Liebman & the one you mention by The Revolutionary Ensemble that all deserve to be in print

Edited by Head Man

I was lucky enough to get the cd of Archie Shepp-Live(Life) at Donauschingen Music Festival many years ago.I know lots of folks that would love to see that get a proper release.What a concert-from 1967-Shepp,Grachan Moncur and Roswell Rudd on trombones,Jimmy Garrison -bass, Beaver Harris-drums.Why MPS doesn't re-release that is beyond me,they've been releasing other older titles.

Looking forward to Dogon A.D. coming out in a few months.Another chestnut.

• 3 weeks later...

I came across this last weekend: Oliver Lake - Ntu: Point From Which Creation Begins (Freedom, 1971). I like it, though I don't know if it rates a high-care reissue project. It does seem though that Freedom has been massively neglected in the CD era. I feel lucky when I see titles such as these in good vinyl.

• 5 months later...

taylor_fly.jpg

Don't think that Cecil's Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! has been mentioned. One that's been hard to come by and one that I'd buy a copy of as soon as it became available.

The vinyl is very findable - I guess you want it on CD...

Yep. Has it ever been reissued on CD?

I don't think it has - that's why I thought that 'hard to come by' understated the case!

taylor_fly.jpg

Don't think that Cecil's Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! has been mentioned. One that's been hard to come by and one that I'd buy a copy of as soon as it became available.

The vinyl is very findable - I guess you want it on CD...

Yep. Has it ever been reissued on CD?

I don't think it has - that's why I thought that 'hard to come by' understated the case!

I just played the album this weekend and posted it in the Vinyl thread. It's really a fine album, and if you are a CT fan, should get it. Has not been out on CD. MPS recorded it. Are they issuing CDs these days? If not, we might not see this one on CD, unless someone picks up the rights. David, I'm not saying this album is rare but I don't think it is all that common either.

That and Black Suite (Coursil) are hard to figure. I'm told that the America pressings were the originals, but as you say, I would suspect that Charly owns them now. P-Vine did a vinyl reissue of the Arthur Jones some years ago, though I'm not sure if they did a corresponding CD. It's a great record indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...