RIP Billy Bang

B. Goren.

I didn't think that I would enjoy his playing either until I caught him live a couple of years ago in Pittburgh. It was really a tremendous show and he proved to be a very warm, engaging, individual who spoke to the audience at length about his experiences in Vietnam. He impressed me not only as a musician, but, more importantly as a human being.

You will be missed Billy.

Rest in Peace.

LWayne

I'm really sorry to hear this. I never had the chance to see him in concert. He was scheduled to play a duo with Kahil El'Zabar a few years ago in my hometown, but he couldn't make it (Hamiett Bluiett took his place). I enjoyed his latest album, Prayer for Peace, as well as the two albums preceding it. RIP.

Edited by Justin V

I'm really sorry to hear this. I never had the chance to see him in concert. He was scheduled to play a duo with Kahil El'Zabar a few years ago in my hometown, but he couldn't make it (Hamiett Bluiett took his place). I enjoyed his latest album, Prayer for Peace, as well as the two albums preceding it. RIP.

That's too bad you missed him. I only saw BB perform one time and it was w/ Kahil El'Zabar in 2006. He was great. Alas, he was a no show in 2007 w/ Barry Altschul and Joe Fonda, which turned into a great duo performance, IIRC.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Ah crap. I saw Billy only once in person, with Kahil and Hamiett, and it was one of the most memorable performances I've ever seen. You sometimes don't hear it in his fiery playing on record, but in person he was so lively and fun, always smiling and laughing as he (and the band) was tearing it up. He will be greatly missed.

I had the privilege of seeing Billy perform at the Vision Festival several times over the past few years. He will be greatly missed in that community of musicians and fans. Take the time to check out his wonderful recordings for Soul Note, including Rainbow Gladiator, Invitation, The Fire From Within, and Valve No. 10. You will be justly rewarded.

Rest in peace, Billy.

Edited by sonnymax

Damn.

I kind of lost track of his discography over the last couple of years, but his run of releases for Soul Note -- especially RAINBOW GLADIATOR, LIVE AT CARLOS I, VALVE NO. 10 with Frank Lowe, and the Stuff Smith tribute with Sun Ra -- are some of my favorite "post-Trane" recordings, period.

Many blessings upon you, Mr. Bang.

Sad news. I saw Billy Bang perform many times, mostly in the 70's and 80's in NYC. His recording Outline No. 12, which I see is available on CD done by Charly Records, is a little known gem featuring Sunny Murray, Frank Lowe, David Murray, and Charles Tyler in a large ensemble. Very ambitious music. I had the pleasure of recording him when he was in Ronald Shannon Jackson's Decoding Society for the Eye on You album. He managed to cut through two electric guitarists, electric bass, and two saxophones quite nicely. He dealt with his trauma and turned it into beautiful music. Can't ask for anything more, in my opinion. I hope he went without pain and in peace, as he deserved.

Bang was the nicest cat, and ready to GO whenever he came around Chicago to play with Kahil El'Zabar. They appeared in duo at the UICA in Grand Rapids (when UICA was housed in the old bank building), then played a hippie joint called Arco Iris with Tri-Factor (Bang, Bluiett and El'Zabar). Blue Lake Public Radio recorded that for broadcast, a rather rambling evening. When Bang returned to Grand Rapids in 2003 with a quintet featuring Frank Lowe we arranged a recording for broadcast that was eventually issued on Justin Time records.

Talked to Mark Helias about Bang this winter. I mean, in Viet Nam he wasn't a desk jockey, at all -- he was doing the dirty work of war. It profoundly affected him. Thankfully there was redemption in music.

As the song says, let's have faith he's now "At Play in the Fields of the Lord." God Bless, Bang -- thanks for the great vibrations.