Bootleg: Miles Davis Quintet Live in Europe 1967

mjzee

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else pick up the error in the notes? There's a reference made to Shorter's AUTObiography, "Footprints". Pretty sure he didn't write it.

You're right. It was a very amateurish book, almost swooning to its subject. What was particularly funny was the photo with Lew Tabackin and Denny Zeitlin misidentified as each other.

Listening right now, loving the music, and surprised how good the sound quality is. Haven't really looked at the booklet, but like others, I find it annoying that it just sits there loose. But for $30 for this package, it's amazing and essential stuff.

Edited by felser

Listening right now, loving the music, and surprised how good the sound quality is. Haven't really looked at the booklet, but like others, I find it annoying that it just sits there loose. But for $30 for this package, it's amazing and essential stuff.

Waiting for mine. Antwerp & Copenhagen are up on Spotify, but not Paris--I guess ORTF may have withheld the rights for this form of distribution. This weekend I listened to Rotterdam--the sound is good--I wonder why this wasn't included.

Having listened to the 3 cds, a couple of comments:

1) Thanks to another Board member, I have had the Paris concert on a bootleg cd for a number of years. I note that the sound quality of the new official release seems to be no better than the bootleg, which was admittedly very good, but one gets one's hopes up when it comes to official releases.

2) I lament the fact that the sets contained the same tunes. There was such a wealth of great compositions from this period and I would have liked to have heard more of them. In fact not all of these tunes on these sets were from the period. Can't blame Columbia/Legacy for that.

Edited by skeith

1) Thanks to another Board member, I have had the Paris concert on a bootleg cd for a number of years. I note that the sound quality of the new official release seems to be no better than the bootleg, which was admittedly very good, but one gets one's hopes up when it comes to official releases.

2) I lament the fact that the sets contained the same tunes. There was such a wealth of great compositions from this period and I would have liked to have heard some of them. In fact not all of these tunes on these sets were from the period. Can't blame Columbia/Legacy for that.

Can't blame a busy touring band for having a relatively fixed repertoire, and each audience was different--they weren't thinking about a box set!

From what I've heard online, Antwerp sounds much better than the release I have, "His Greatest Concert Ever."

2) I lament the fact that the sets contained the same tunes. There was such a wealth of great compositions from this period and I would have liked to have heard some of them. In fact not all of these tunes on these sets were from the period. Can't blame Columbia/Legacy for that.

Can't blame a busy touring band for having a relatively fixed repertoire, and each audience was different--they weren't thinking about a box set!

It's a shame none of the club gigs during 1966 and 1967 were recorded - maybe there was more variety there. (Though I've never actually heard anybody argue that they played more new material elsewhere - so maybe it was just this small set of new songs along with the older stuff.)

To supplement what Pete wrote, one of the themes that crops up in Bob Belden's liner notes [regarding the new material] is "Miles wanted something that he could play live."

Guy

Here's the setlist of a recording from Berkeley in April of 1967 (with Albert Stinson on bass):

DJ Intro 00:18

Gingerbread Boy 09:08

Stella by Starlight 10:17

Dolores 07:08

'Round Midnight 09:44

So What 08:47

Walkin' 08:54

Theme 00:31

DJ Outro 00:27

From Newport:

July 4, 1966

Track 01. Introduction/Gingerbread Boy - 9:10 (11.7MB)

Track 02. All Blues - 11:17 (14.4MB)

Track 03. Stella by Starlight (cut off during piano solo) - 7:32 (9.6MB)

July 2, 1967

Track 04. Gingerbread Boy - 9:00 (11.9MB)

Track 05. Footprints - 8:11 (10.8MB)

Track 06. Round About Midnight (faded out) - 4:16 (5.6MB)

And this one:

Stella by starlight 9:53

Agitation 9:26

Autumn leaves 10:49

Miles Davis trumpet

Wayne Shorter tenor sax

Herbie Hancock piano

Richard Davis bass

Tony Williams drums

Recorded in Portland at Oregon State Collage, May 1966

Here's the setlist of a recording from Berkeley in April of 1967 (with Albert Stinson on bass):

DJ Intro 00:18

Gingerbread Boy 09:08

Stella by Starlight 10:17

Dolores 07:08

'Round Midnight 09:44

So What 08:47

Walkin' 08:54

Theme 00:31

DJ Outro 00:27

From Newport:

July 4, 1966

Track 01. Introduction/Gingerbread Boy - 9:10 (11.7MB)

Track 02. All Blues - 11:17 (14.4MB)

Track 03. Stella by Starlight (cut off during piano solo) - 7:32 (9.6MB)

July 2, 1967

Track 04. Gingerbread Boy - 9:00 (11.9MB)

Track 05. Footprints - 8:11 (10.8MB)

Track 06. Round About Midnight (faded out) - 4:16 (5.6MB)

And this one:

Stella by starlight 9:53

Agitation 9:26

Autumn leaves 10:49

Miles Davis trumpet

Wayne Shorter tenor sax

Herbie Hancock piano

Richard Davis bass

Tony Williams drums

Recorded in Portland at Oregon State Collage, May 1966

Yeah - all of these were one-offs where the band was unlikely to stretch their setlist too far. (Though the sole live recording of "Dolores" is fun to hear!) But I wonder what they played on their extended residencies during 1966 and 1967.

Guy

This set is old news already. Now I'm waiting for the Fall 1971 European Tour. That was one hot band.

I think I burned almost every concert from that tour to disc - I think it was upwards of 20 discs. Would be a fun box to have. :)

Though I think that group was better with Jack than with Ndugu.

This set is old news already. Now I'm waiting for the Fall 1971 European Tour. That was one hot band.

Yes! I was just listening to some of the live recordings of that band recently. It is interesting that Miles made some disparaging comments in his autobiography about Ndugu Leon Chandler to the effect that "it didn't work out" and he was trying to get Dejohnette back after the tour. To my ears, however, the simple funky grooves that Chandler laid down with Michael Henderson were a great backdrop for Miles, Bartz, and Jarrett. Dejohnette is a great great drummer, but it was almost a relief to hear a less busy rhythm section laying down the funky grooves on-the-one that Miles was gravitating to in any case. Some of those concerts really grab me - Vienna, for example.

I wish Verve would somehow get enough testerone to try a Coltrane budget bootleg again (and again). We had Olatunji, we had the Half Note material. Now give us something else in the best possible sound. Please.

Somehow Fantasy was able to have the rights to release that Trane European box set back 10 years ago or whatever it was. Maybe it doesn't need to be Universal (because I can't see them doing it).

I wish Verve would somehow get enough testerone to try a Coltrane budget bootleg again (and again). We had Olatunji, we had the Half Note material. Now give us something else in the best possible sound. Please.

Somehow Fantasy was able to have the rights to release that Trane European box set back 10 years ago or whatever it was. Maybe it doesn't need to be Universal (because I can't see them doing it).

Those were Pablo masters.

Just receieved mine and playing the Antwerp set. Sound is far better than the Jazzman cd if my memory is correct.

Reading the booklet reminded me that I Miles in London on this tour. My only real recollection of the concert is the audience reaction after the Archie Shepp segment when one or two scuffles broke out between Shepp fans and non-Shepp fans.

Edited by JohnS

Have you guys noticed at the end of the DVD it lists in the credits that "Walkin'" was performed? Not on my copy.

I also note that the booklet and back cover do not list Walkin' as being on the DVD.

That track was on the bootleg.

I know this was all discussed before, but I wanted to tie up the loose end.

Those were Pablo masters.

Yeah, Granz has the tapes or the rights to them from the shows he produced after he sold Verve and started releasing them when he launched Pablo. Then it appears that the rights went to Fantasy when he sold Pablo, including stuff he hadn't yet released. I've always found it interesting that he somehow managed to hold back the Tatum stuff when he sold Verve.