Bootleg: Miles Davis Quintet Live in Europe 1967

mjzee

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine today and am playing Disc 1 - sounds great. Have to agree with Chuck and others about there not being a good place to store the booklet.

Also, I did not receive an invoice in the package, which is odd because I usually do. How do I know what I was charged...or do I have to wait until I get my credit card statement?

I got mine today and am playing Disc 1 - sounds great. Have to agree with Chuck and others about there not being a good place to store the booklet.

Also, I did not receive an invoice in the package, which is odd because I usually do. How do I know what I was charged...or do I have to wait until I get my credit card statement?

If you ordered it from Amazon, go to your account and print an invoice.

If you ordered it from Amazon, go to your account and print an invoice.

Thanks Chuck,

I did order from Amazon and did print an invoice when I placed the order, but given all the price fluctuations and given that some got refunds, I wasn't sure that was the final price, but it does not seem to have changed in the week since I ordered.

I've been checking this out, and (needless to say) it's some truly amazing music.

It's interesting to watch the band perform and see how Miles communicates to them both musically (like the way he leads Tony into the half-time feel on Agitation) and non-verbally (like when he puts his finger up to his ear to tell the guys to listen more carefully). And the occasional intense "Miles glare"........

Also interesting to hear the similar setlists played very differently from night to night (much like on the Plugged Nickle sessions).

Best thirty bucks I ever spent! :tup

Ahhh...you're killin' me here! Got my shipping notice a couple of days ago, but the estimated delivery date is the 29th! I guess I'm not so good at that whole "delayed gratification" thing. (Insert "blah, blah, blah...first wife" joke here).

Great music but lousy packaging! I had the same problem as everyone else when I opened the shrink wrap and the booklet fell out. Luckily I caught it before it hit the wet sidewalk. (note to self: wait to you get home before playing with toys).

Minor issues aside, the music is absolutely sublime. Does it qualify for reissue of the year since it was technically never "officially" released?

LWayne

Great music but lousy packaging! I had the same problem as everyone else when I opened the shrink wrap and the booklet fell out. Luckily I caught it before it hit the wet sidewalk. (note to self: wait to you get home before playing with toys).

Minor issues aside, the music is absolutely sublime. Does it qualify for reissue of the year since it was technically never "officially" released?

LWayne

Not just reissue of the year, but "issue" of the year, period.

IIRC I read one review that said Miles stopped using a mure after 1965 but I notice that he carries a mute on stage with him in both tv shows even though he doesn't use it. BTW There's at least another 3 cds worth of material readily available from 1967 including the rest of the music from the concerts that were filmed.

I've heard/seen most of this music before (not the Paris concert, but everything else) but somehow it seems even better to me on this release. Maybes it's the sound quality or maybe it's just my excitement about the release.

And am I right that none of it is in stereo?

It may have already be mentioned on this thread, but the Paris concert includes two tracks that were not on the JMY No Blues release: Agitation and Footprints. The whole of disc 2, which contains these two tracks and the Copenhagen concert, is new to me.

Edited by John L

To be honest the only part of the packaging I don't like is the booklet being orphaned, without a home inside the case.

What cracks me up is to the right of where the songs are listed there's the red half moon that looks like where the space for the booklet was meant to go, had they made a pocket for it.

The fact that they picked this era, and not just one show, and not just one DVD, has me excited that there will be more great things to come. Maybe they actually paid attention to that Legacy poll they had last year (or the year before) where one apportioned votes amongst proposed projects.