Lester Young - Boston 1950 (Uptown)

mjzee

Amazon

518-yL7IEfL.jpg

Release date: July 16

Legendary saxophonist Lester Young is captured during his residency in June, 1950 at the Hi-Hat in Boston on 14 tracks and in February, 1953 at the same venue on 2 other tracks. His group includes trumpeter Jesse Drakes, pianist Kenny Drew, bassist Joe Schulman and drummer Connie Kay. The two later Boston dates substitute Horace Silver for Kenny Drew and Franklin Skeete for Joe Schulman. Includes extensive liner notes and photos from the era.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news!

And no, to my knowledge, no Boston material was part of the "usual" boots!

The recent Storyville "100 Years-Forever Young" included tracks from a December, 1953 Boston date, but that is with Gildo Mahones on piano, not Horace Silver.

Someone mentioned to me recently about a big upcoming Uptown release, but declined to offer up any info. I guess the cat is out of the bag now! Let me add since July 16 is my birthday, this would make a great birthday present!

Edited by Tom 1960

Great news!

The recent Storyville "100 Years-Forever Young" included tracks from a December, 1953 Boston date, but that is with Gildo Mahones on piano, not Horace Silver.

too bad this Storyville "100 Years-Forever Young" info wasn't posted in the 'new releases' section 3 years ago.

Great news!

too bad this Storyville "100 Years-Forever Young" info wasn't posted in the 'new releases' section 3 years ago.

Hu? Don't understand ... it was definitely discussed, starting here:

Not a bad place to discuss Pres and his music, I guess ...