Flying Dutchman Jazz Masters

Head Man

Just up on Amazon are a number of reissues from Bob Thiele's Flying Dutchman label:

2391951.jpg506507.jpgOnette_LiveatPrinceStreet.jpg

I'm not familiar with any of them, so can anyone recommend them....or not?

Plus....this one that came out a while ago:

CDBGPD-259.jpg

Edited by Head Man

some UK label (PD? is this all PD, is that the reason for no links?) did a 3CD box of the entire Gil Scott Heron material ... haven't been through it all yet, but it's a very nicely done set!

Part of the description of the Ornette Coleman release on Amazon U.K.:

Part of the Flying Dutchman Jazz Classics series, delivering classic and rare albums from this important label. All feature the original artwork and new sleeve notes and are taken from original source tapes with bonus tracks where available.

Apparently it's legit ("taken from original source tapes"), so here's a link to Amazon U.K.: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Friends-Neighbors-Ornette-Prince-Street/dp/B00CONC162/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1372423785&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=ornette+coleman+friends+and+neighbours

Edited by J.A.W.

some UK label (PD? is this all PD, is that the reason for no links?) did a 3CD box of the entire Gil Scott Heron material ... haven't been through it all yet, but it's a very nicely done set!

Apparently it's legit ("taken from original source tapes"), so here's a link to Amazon U.K.: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Friends-Neighbors-Ornette-Prince-Street/dp/B00CONC162/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1372423785&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=ornette+coleman+friends+and+neighbours

According to Amazon UK the Heron set is on "BGP/Ace," so should be as legit as possible.

Edited by jazzbo

T

I'd like to hear some of the music recorded at Montreux when they had a whole evening with their artists ...

Some of that stuff has been really obscure for whatever reason. The Gato Barbieri album recorded there, "El Pampero" is the best thing he ever did and a landmark album. It is not so obscure. The Larry Coryell album, "Fairyland" is pretty interesting, and is very obscure, as is the Leon Thomas album, "Gold Sunrise On Magic Mountain". Those two were released on an a subsididary label, and have never seen CD release. I know Harold Alexander also had an album recorded there for the labe, don't remember who else. The FD release I really want is "The Leon Thomas Album". I picked up the CD releases of his other FD albums when they came out on a French label several years ago, but that one has only been reissued in vinyl, no idea why.

According to Amazon UK the Heron set is on "BGP/Ace," so should be as legit as possible.

Ace did reissue these albums, so they are indeed as legit as possible :) I just remembered I got an e-mail from Ace earlier this week listing these releases.

Haven't been feeling too well physically these last few weeks, which is probably why I recently posted all kinds of stupid things, both here and elsewhere. I think I'd better keep quiet for a while.

Edited by J.A.W.

71TbeCqeriL._SL1181_.jpg

Another in the reissue - had my eye on this

Is this a compilation or Thiele's Big Band "Emergency"

I think Bradford, Carter & Tapscott play on this (one title? - In The vineyard)

Worth getting?

Worth getting for the good parts, if the good parts are worth it to you.

http://www.discogs.com/Bob-Thiele-Emergency-Head-Start/release/2344506

The Ornette cut comes from Coltrane's funeral & has been "circulated".

I don't see any signs of Basie's "Afrique" on any of these sites. Definitely the oddest album Basie ever did.

Half of it is the BEST album he ever did.

The other half sounds ancient by comparison.

I just remember that I disliked it a zillion years ago when I had it on LP--actually traded it away, which was rare for me (I'm a hopeless hoarder). I'd like the opportunity to give it another listen some time and hear it with older (wiser???) ears. As for Three Shades of Blue, the version of "Empty Ballroom Blues" on there is fantastic with Hodges in full flight. But Jim's right, some of the rest...not so great.

gregmo

I really like 'Afrique', bought the original CD issue - certainly very odd as a Basie album but it works to my ears and the Albert Ayler tunes are intriguing (Freddie Green deverves a medal for even trying to play this stuff). Lots of reverb on the recording - not untypical for this vintage.