Bethlehem label being reissued in US

romualdo

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well rounded lot - nicely done!

myself, i'm tough on piano trios. that being said, i need to give 'love gloom cash love' (what a title, really....) a chance.

now that i think about it, this isn't so bad either...

Mr+&+Mrs+Jazz.jpg

Typical corny Parlophone artwork of the time :)

i know you know it's identical to the bethlehem artwork...

or did you mean 'corny' as in it looks as if he's sitting in a cornfield?

Typical corny Parlophone artwork of the time :)

i know you know it's identical to the bethlehem artwork...

or did you mean 'corny' as in it looks as if he's sitting in a cornfield?

Not just typical Parlophone, probably. More like typical of a lot 60s covers, even in Rock music, when apparently many producers/artwork people saw fit to show the musicians in all sorts of pastures/rural/pseudo-nature settings - anything to make them lurk around in places where they probably never set foot when PLAYING their music ... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

which ones did you order, clunky?

and can i not get some love for 'california suite'? it's really a great date.

Mel+Torm%E9+-+California+Suite+-+Factory

forgive the uk parlaphone artwork....(!)

Absolutely. I love Mel Torme, his Bethlehem stuff in particular.

And, ftr, just as you said you're tough on piano trios, I really don't like male jazz singers.

And, ftr, just as you said you're tough on piano trios, I really don't like male jazz singers.

Same here. Torme on Bethlehem is about as good as that genre gets.

Missed out on the Nichols ( at a sensible price) although I have the Charly edition from 1989 ( it sounds pretty good - but I've never heard another version ) Oh , for those lost tracks ! Maybe one day. Now that'd be worth celebrating.

I've held out on purchasing the Herbie disc for sometime mainly because I got the impression his piano was out of tune for this session. True or untrue?

About Verse Music Group: Verse Music Group is a global entertainment company based in New York City founded by award-winning music industry veterans Curt Frasca and Sabelle Breer in 2010. Verse Music Group owns over 50,000 copyrights through the acquisition of iconic brands and music catalogs such as, Salsoul Records, West End Records, Bethlehem Records and Golden Records and featured songs by artists Rod Stewart, Nina Simone, Jennifer Lopez, John 5, Avril Lavigne, Commodores, Tupac, and Celine Dion among many others.

Says it all. Clueless people working off a model irrelevant to this context, certain that their holding featuring the Great John Coltrane is a moneymaker.

Reminds me of the antique shop owner trying to peddle beat-up 70s US Beatles LPs for $50.

Same here. Torme on Bethlehem is about as good as that genre gets.

Agreed. California Suite is a delight, and the rest of the Bethlehem material is solid, especially the stuff with Marty Paich. Lulu's Back in Town!

For what it's worth, I did a comparison between the Japanese CD reissue from 1999 (TOCJ-62026) of Dexter Gordon's Daddy Plays the Horn and the recent American reissue. The latter won on all counts; the Japanese CD has pumped-up highs and lows and is louder than the American CD, which sounds more natural to me and is much easier on the (my) ears. I haven't heard the recent Japanese reissue.

Edited by J.A.W.

Not what you were asking for, Hans, but I prefer the 1994 Nichols (Bethlehem 20-30112) to the new Japanese release (CDSOL-6008). Besides the bit loud mastering the bass seems somewhat boosted. Otherwise there is no real gain for that title imo.

I have to agree with Lon that East Coasting is sonically very enjoyable and dynamic. I have however nothing earlier to compare it against.

I was wondering where these Bethlehem sessions were recorded. Probably not a case of all the same studio and engineer like Van Gelder for Blue Note?

I finally got the Nichols in from Japan. I agree, a bit loud, and some bloated bass, but to be honest I always hear that bloat on this album, and everything else sounds really good on this one especially the piano and the snare drum. Glad I got it.