Overlooked pianists

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard of Peter Beets so I will check him out.

The point of this thread, I think, is to mention people that some/many of us may never have heard of, and for that I'm grateful. Sure, there are those of us who've been listening to Bobby Few or whomever for many years but hey, someone could always be turned onto his music.

FWIW i'd never heard of Peter Beets (apologies in advance if people have posted about him here and it hasn't registered... sometimes things go in one eye and out the other).

xybert, he's  from the Netherlands.  Peter (mainly with his trio) is a regular visitor to the US and Japan and also many European countries from Poland to Spain and from Rumania to France. He's a real good pianist.

FWIW i'd never heard of Peter Beets (apologies in advance if people have posted about him here and it hasn't registered... sometimes things go in one eye and out the other).

xybert, he's  from the Netherlands.  Peter (mainly with his trio) is a regular visitor to the US and Japan and also many European countries from Poland to Spain and from Rumania to France. He's a real good pianist.

Cheers, i'll have to give him a listen. One of those things where, now that i'm conscious of him, i'll probably see him everywhere.

Joel Weiskopf -- stylistically not quite in my bag (or bags) but definitely a talented guy. Several interesting albums on Criss Cross. I particularly like this one, with John Patitucci and Eric Harland:

http://www.amazon.com/Devoted-You-Joel-Weiskopf-Trio/dp/B000NVLABY/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1442362630&sr=1-4&keywords=joel+weiskopf

Edited by Larry Kart

I would also single out occasional (last I checked) O-board member Frank Kimbrough for more recognition. His latest, on Palmetto, show more of an Andrew Hill influence that previous records I recall under his own name. Either way, a lyrical player whose work possesses an individual tensile quality. NOUMENA (Soul Note) is another favorite.

Edited by Joe
sic

I would also single out occasional (last I checked) O-board member Frank Kimbrough for more recognition. His latest, on Palmetto, show more of an Andrew Hill influence that previous records I recall under his own name. Either way, a lyrical player whose work possesses an individual tensile quality. NOUMENA (Soul Note) is another favorite.

I dig Frank Kimbrough too. :tup 

Lullabluebye is the Kimbrough CD that I pull of the shelf most frequently.

51aJ4jm7DfL._SS300.jpg

• 1 month later...

A week ago I heard pianist Fred Simmons in a duo performance with vibraphonist Jay Hoggard. Simmons' discography is slim - his most notable association seems to be with Dewey Redman. I believe he has been in education for the past many years at Wesleyan in Middletown, CT. Anyway, intimate performance on a Sunday afternoon, which was quite impressive. Too bad we have not heard more from Mr. Simmons over the years.

Edited by relyles

Has anyone mentioned Donald Brown? He's also a very accomplished composer.

Peter Beets? Come on. He is one of the most recognized young piano giants of our time. He is praised worldwide, while his creativity keeps increasing...

He's really good. I'm not sure he rises to the level of "piano giant" yet.

He is very good. I played with him in Den Haag. He's a friend. Recorded with Joe Cohn as sideman a few times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

does somebody remember the late Siegfried Kesser, born in Germany, but he lived and worked in Paris.

Some might know about him, since he worked frequently with Archie Shepp (and recorded with him ! ) . He could play everything from bop to avantgarde, could play the blues really strong ,

I heard  him live  not only with Archie Shepp, also with Jimmy Witherspoon and Dee Dee Bridgewater......, great pianist.

12 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

does somebody remember the late Siegfried Kesser, born in Germany, but he lived and worked in Paris.

Some might know about him, since he worked frequently with Archie Shepp (and recorded with him ! ) . He could play everything from bop to avantgarde, could play the blues really strong ,

I heard  him live  not only with Archie Shepp, also with Jimmy Witherspoon and Dee Dee Bridgewater......, great pianist.

IIRC Kesser was in Shepp's band when I saw them at the Bracknell Jazz Festival.