Overlooked pianists

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Hampton Hawes is overlooked (doesn't seem that way to me, but he's been mentioned) then he deserves to be on the list.  Another one that I don't think of as overlooked is Herbie Nichols.  

A pianist I do think of as overlooked and underrated is Dodo Marmarosa.  

BeBop, underrated yes, but not overlooked IMHO

Edited by Cyril

Curtis Clark. An "inside-out" player. Spent many years in Europe. Several recordings for Nimbus. LETTER TO SOUTH AFRICA, with John Tchicai, Ernst Reiseger & Louis Moholo is very strong.

Also, the Ellington-esque Michel Sardaby, whose fine compositions are equally overlooked.

Finally, Rene Urtreger, a superb Powell-inspired pianist who, like the much better-known Martial Solal, has taken his initial inspiration to some really wonderful and suprising places.

Edited by Joe

Freddie Redd from last night. Mr. Redd was setting on his hybrid walker/wheel chair on the corner of 27th and Broadway. He was sitting there in the 96F/35.6C temputure waiting for someone in the band to show up to help into the club. As I was getting to move from the corner the tenor player showed up and help him into the club. 87 years young.

F_Redd_2.jpg

Later that night.

Freddie_Redd.jpg

Rob Agerbeek - great Dutch pianist; listening to him with Dexter right now. Though in his heyday he was known as one of Europe's finest in the post-bop mold, I think his name may be off of most folks' radar.

Rob was born in 1937. He's almost 78. But he's  still performing with his trio. He isn't overlooked in the Netherlands.

Also, the Ellington-esque Michel Sardaby, whose fine compositions are equally overlooked.

Finally, Rene Urtreger, a superb Powell-inspired pianist who, like the much better-known Martial Solal, has taken his initial inspiration to some really wonderful and suprising places.

seconded ....