Guitar – Dave Okumu
Guitar, Electronics, Producer – Martin Terefe
Piano, Synth – Nick Ramm
Saxophone, Flute – Nubya Garcia
Saxophone, Woodwind – Shabaka Hutchings
Synth, Melodica – Nikolaj Torp
Tuba – Theon Cross
Violin, Electronics – Raven Bush

I didn't exactly jump up and down with joy listening to disc 1. I'm liking disc 2 more.

•  

200002987.png?1680210928797200002953.png?1680210928797

London Brew - New Album Inspired By Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Out Today

Featuring Benji B, Theon Cross, Nubya Garcia, Shabaka Hutchings, Dave Okumu,

Tom Skinner, Martin Terefe & More

cover-1c3c7e02c62d4c12927daddf808567fb-half.jpg

London Brew is out today on Concord Jazz, a new album inspired by Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from a crème de la crème collection of UK jazz luminaries, available now on 2CD and digitally, with the 2LP release (available on black vinyl, limited edition opaque blue, and indie-exclusive voodoo maroon vinyl) to follow on April 14.

Comprised of a veritable who's who of some of the most important and innovative musicians of the 21st century, London Brew features contributions from Benji B, Theon Cross, Nubya Garcia, Shabaka Hutchings, Dave Okumu, Tom Skinner and more, brought together by Producer and guitarist Martin Terefe and Executive Producer Bruce Lampcov.

image-191cf82b99354847b20366c27497a343-full.jpg

London Brew Trailer

Speaking of the album's release, Lampcov offers: "I can hardly contain my excitement now that London Brew is finally ready to be served to the world, after the idea for it was conceived more than three years ago. This record was inspired by Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, shaped by the trials of a global pandemic, and created with the exceptional talents of London's finest musicians. It is a testament to the creative ingenuity and collaborative spirit of these musicians, as well as the support of numerous allies who have helped bring it to fruition."

"An eight-song, almost 90-minute LP of genre-hopping experimentation that blurs the lines between rock, jazz and ambient, sometimes within the scope of one song"

- NY Times

Read The New York Times Feature Here

"Brilliant though many of these musicians have been in numerous other contexts, this might be some of their finest work: a thrilling voyage into the outer regions of electric jazz" - Uncut, 9/10

“It’s a kind of jazz - on an ambitious scale, drawing dark beauty from chaos - it would be nice to hear more than twice a century" - MOJO, 4/5

"An epic feat of improvisation" - The Observer

"As Wayne Shorter, who played on Bitches Brew, famously said, jazz means 'I dare you.' The players on London Brew have taken the dare, and good for them" - Stereogum

"Almost magically, it shrewdly captures an ever-shifting London at a very specific point of time. Davis would be proud" - Loud and Quiet, 8/10

"The success of London Brew isn't in trying to emulate the original Brew but in inspiring the players to live up to the concept. The album feels both of the original vintage in its occasional psychedelic trappings and, masterfully, altogether new... Rarely is retro so now" - The Wire

"Capturing the contrary emotions of the pandemic, lockdown, and the easing of restrictions, London Brew relishes in union, and communal creativity"  Clash

To tie in with the album's release, a new single from the album also sees release today,
"It's One of These": an abstracted, syncopated Afrobeat maelstrom that cooks up a storm at the heart of London Brew's running order and allows Hutchings ample space to shine.

Of the track, Terefe explains: "After choosing various pieces of the source material to work on, this is the one I finished mixing first. It’s starts with such a dirty groove and then comes Shabaka’s initial formula one race through and around the inner workings of the ensemble. Then all of a sudden it falls apart, new sections appear as trying to and rev it all up again but it starts and stops in the most magical way. I followed the melodies and loved what I found."

London Brew reflects an emotional journey through the period in which it was conceived, having been recorded during the pandemic and after many months of isolation and the inability to collaborate in person. Recorded in December 2020 at Paul Epworth's Church Studios in London, Terefe explains how the resulting music is "sometimes uncomfortable, other times it's familiar and joyous and other times it's like deep meditation."

image-2c26525c8baf4a23821c012f6372330b-full.jpg

London Brew - Raven Flies Low [Single Edit] (Official Audio)

What began as a plan for a live performance at the Barbican in honour of the 50th anniversary of Bitches Brew in early 2020 - an event that was sadly to be scuppered by the pandemic - would eventually blossom into so much more. London Brew is a collection of original recordings rooted in inspiration and celebration - not just a rapturous, moving tribute to one of the most totemic figures in modern music but equally a one-off moment in London's musical history captured forever on four sides of vinyl. As Lampcov writes in the album's liner notes, "London Brew is also inspired by... London. The city, the people, her creativity and her struggles. London Brew is primordial, born out of a year of trying to get to grips with what being human is about. The sounds and melodies cover the gamut of human emotion from delicate and caring to coarse and angry. Nothing is left unsaid."

An intelligent, dexterous assault on the senses from a group of artists united in their freewheeling vision, London Brew's eight tracks are unified by an experimental, improvisatory fire. "In all my years of recording, I'd never been involved in an improvisatory process on this scale," offers The Invisible's Dave Okumu. "It's ease and sense of endlessness is surely a testament to the calibre of each musician and the unique manner in which they've taken on the lessons Miles set before us through his recording and performances."

Theon Cross highlights how "the possibility of playing with a larger group of people [at the end of a year marked by the pandemic] with such an open and free approach was an incredibly powerful and moving experience," while Shabaka Hutchings comments: "For me, that's what Bitches Brew is. It's a bunch of musicians making music because of the love of making music, as a social force and as a social construct. They are creating something that expresses unity and motion. That's what it is to be alive… you know, you have unity, you have motion, and you have vibration. You don't get any more alive than that. That's Bitches Brew." That's London Brew, too, and you won't have ever heard anything quite like it.

image-896fb3d58ecb4aff910f2d3a5953fba9-full.jpg

London Brew is:

Benji B: Decks, Sonic Re-cycling

Raven Bush: Violin, Electronics

Theon Cross: Tuba

Nubya Garcia: Saxophone, Flute

Tom Herbert: Electric Bass, Double Bass

Shabaka Hutchings: Saxophone, Woodwinds

Nikolaj Torp Larsen: Synthesizers, Melodica

Dave Okumu: Guitar

Nick Ramm: Piano, Synthesizers

Dan See: Drums, Percussion

Tom Skinner: Drums, Percussion

Martin Terefe: Guitar, Electronics

Artist Title Time    

London Brew Miles Chases New Voodoo In The Church (Edit) 03:15    
  London Brew Raven Flies Low (Edit) 03:38    
  London Brew London Brew 23:34    
  London Brew London Brew Pt 2. - Trainlines 15:48    
  London Brew Miles Chases New Voodoo In The Church 07:28    
  London Brew Nu Sha Ni Sha Nu Oss Ra 08:55    
  London Brew It’s One Of These 06:55    
  London Brew Bassics 02:50    
  London Brew Mor Ning Prayers 09:52    
  London Brew Raven Flies Low 12:57    

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I really enjoy the voice of A. Grace Lee Mims on this album.  Her sound reminds me of Ellington vocalists like Adelaide Hall ("Creole Love Call") or Kay Davis ("On a Turquoise Cloud").  Not a typical "jazz voice"--but also not unprecedented.

Really dig the "Coltrane" named track ....

8 hours ago, GA Russell said:
  •  

200002987.png?1680210928797200002953.png?1680210928797

London Brew - New Album Inspired By Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Out Today

Featuring Benji B, Theon Cross, Nubya Garcia, Shabaka Hutchings, Dave Okumu,

Tom Skinner, Martin Terefe & More

cover-1c3c7e02c62d4c12927daddf808567fb-half.jpg

London Brew is out today on Concord Jazz, a new album inspired by Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from a crème de la crème collection of UK jazz luminaries, available now on 2CD and digitally, with the 2LP release (available on black vinyl, limited edition opaque blue, and indie-exclusive voodoo maroon vinyl) to follow on April 14.

Comprised of a veritable who's who of some of the most important and innovative musicians of the 21st century, London Brew features contributions from Benji B, Theon Cross, Nubya Garcia, Shabaka Hutchings, Dave Okumu, Tom Skinner and more, brought together by Producer and guitarist Martin Terefe and Executive Producer Bruce Lampcov.

image-191cf82b99354847b20366c27497a343-full.jpg

London Brew Trailer

Speaking of the album's release, Lampcov offers: "I can hardly contain my excitement now that London Brew is finally ready to be served to the world, after the idea for it was conceived more than three years ago. This record was inspired by Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, shaped by the trials of a global pandemic, and created with the exceptional talents of London's finest musicians. It is a testament to the creative ingenuity and collaborative spirit of these musicians, as well as the support of numerous allies who have helped bring it to fruition."

"An eight-song, almost 90-minute LP of genre-hopping experimentation that blurs the lines between rock, jazz and ambient, sometimes within the scope of one song"

- NY Times

Read The New York Times Feature Here

"Brilliant though many of these musicians have been in numerous other contexts, this might be some of their finest work: a thrilling voyage into the outer regions of electric jazz" - Uncut, 9/10

“It’s a kind of jazz - on an ambitious scale, drawing dark beauty from chaos - it would be nice to hear more than twice a century" - MOJO, 4/5

"An epic feat of improvisation" - The Observer

"As Wayne Shorter, who played on Bitches Brew, famously said, jazz means 'I dare you.' The players on London Brew have taken the dare, and good for them" - Stereogum

"Almost magically, it shrewdly captures an ever-shifting London at a very specific point of time. Davis would be proud" - Loud and Quiet, 8/10

"The success of London Brew isn't in trying to emulate the original Brew but in inspiring the players to live up to the concept. The album feels both of the original vintage in its occasional psychedelic trappings and, masterfully, altogether new... Rarely is retro so now" - The Wire

"Capturing the contrary emotions of the pandemic, lockdown, and the easing of restrictions, London Brew relishes in union, and communal creativity"  Clash

To tie in with the album's release, a new single from the album also sees release today,
"It's One of These": an abstracted, syncopated Afrobeat maelstrom that cooks up a storm at the heart of London Brew's running order and allows Hutchings ample space to shine.

Of the track, Terefe explains: "After choosing various pieces of the source material to work on, this is the one I finished mixing first. It’s starts with such a dirty groove and then comes Shabaka’s initial formula one race through and around the inner workings of the ensemble. Then all of a sudden it falls apart, new sections appear as trying to and rev it all up again but it starts and stops in the most magical way. I followed the melodies and loved what I found."

London Brew reflects an emotional journey through the period in which it was conceived, having been recorded during the pandemic and after many months of isolation and the inability to collaborate in person. Recorded in December 2020 at Paul Epworth's Church Studios in London, Terefe explains how the resulting music is "sometimes uncomfortable, other times it's familiar and joyous and other times it's like deep meditation."

image-2c26525c8baf4a23821c012f6372330b-full.jpg

London Brew - Raven Flies Low [Single Edit] (Official Audio)

What began as a plan for a live performance at the Barbican in honour of the 50th anniversary of Bitches Brew in early 2020 - an event that was sadly to be scuppered by the pandemic - would eventually blossom into so much more. London Brew is a collection of original recordings rooted in inspiration and celebration - not just a rapturous, moving tribute to one of the most totemic figures in modern music but equally a one-off moment in London's musical history captured forever on four sides of vinyl. As Lampcov writes in the album's liner notes, "London Brew is also inspired by... London. The city, the people, her creativity and her struggles. London Brew is primordial, born out of a year of trying to get to grips with what being human is about. The sounds and melodies cover the gamut of human emotion from delicate and caring to coarse and angry. Nothing is left unsaid."

An intelligent, dexterous assault on the senses from a group of artists united in their freewheeling vision, London Brew's eight tracks are unified by an experimental, improvisatory fire. "In all my years of recording, I'd never been involved in an improvisatory process on this scale," offers The Invisible's Dave Okumu. "It's ease and sense of endlessness is surely a testament to the calibre of each musician and the unique manner in which they've taken on the lessons Miles set before us through his recording and performances."

Theon Cross highlights how "the possibility of playing with a larger group of people [at the end of a year marked by the pandemic] with such an open and free approach was an incredibly powerful and moving experience," while Shabaka Hutchings comments: "For me, that's what Bitches Brew is. It's a bunch of musicians making music because of the love of making music, as a social force and as a social construct. They are creating something that expresses unity and motion. That's what it is to be alive… you know, you have unity, you have motion, and you have vibration. You don't get any more alive than that. That's Bitches Brew." That's London Brew, too, and you won't have ever heard anything quite like it.

image-896fb3d58ecb4aff910f2d3a5953fba9-full.jpg

London Brew is:

Benji B: Decks, Sonic Re-cycling

Raven Bush: Violin, Electronics

Theon Cross: Tuba

Nubya Garcia: Saxophone, Flute

Tom Herbert: Electric Bass, Double Bass

Shabaka Hutchings: Saxophone, Woodwinds

Nikolaj Torp Larsen: Synthesizers, Melodica

Dave Okumu: Guitar

Nick Ramm: Piano, Synthesizers

Dan See: Drums, Percussion

Tom Skinner: Drums, Percussion

Martin Terefe: Guitar, Electronics

Artist Title Time    

London Brew Miles Chases New Voodoo In The Church (Edit) 03:15    
  London Brew Raven Flies Low (Edit) 03:38    
  London Brew London Brew 23:34    
  London Brew London Brew Pt 2. - Trainlines 15:48    
  London Brew Miles Chases New Voodoo In The Church 07:28    
  London Brew Nu Sha Ni Sha Nu Oss Ra 08:55    
  London Brew It’s One Of These 06:55    
  London Brew Bassics 02:50    
  London Brew Mor Ning Prayers 09:52    
  London Brew Raven Flies Low 12:57    

This release is of no interest to me, but I didn't realize Concord was still putting out jazz recordings. I enjoyed many of their releases from the 70's into the late 90's. Kind of dried up after that, at least for me. 

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

43331771au.jpg

👍

18 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-3640239126.jpeg

I heard that album for the first time only recently, and I really enjoyed it.  :tup

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

Really dig the "Coltrane" named track ....

Me too.  And -- without the chanting/singing -- it's quite different than the version heard on Clifford Jordan's Glass Bead Games.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I’d forgotten how nice and mellow this cd is. Soundstage back behind the speakers. Great band.

Chet Baker “Chet” Orin Keepnews Edition, Concord cd

f0997b29f82ed80117171e7eafae20c56d8b56f6

I agree with you on this one. I play it quite often.

I know it gets a bad rap on the other music discussion forum, but I really like the Analogue Productions SACD of this date. I still wonder if the negativity over there is because AP used Doug Sax to master it instead of the forum members' preferred mastering engineer.

22 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I really enjoy the voice of A. Grace Lee Mims on this album.  Her sound reminds me of Ellington vocalists like Adelaide Hall ("Creole Love Call") or Kay Davis ("On a Turquoise Cloud").  Not a typical "jazz voice"--but also not unprecedented.

:tup I also enjoy her (classically trained?) singing here, and the album is a Strata-East favorite. Like some others, I prefer this version of John Coltrane to Clifford Jordan's (which is also good).