Jump to content

Mosaic's Black and White label box set


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm currently listening to disc one.  Mosaic has done wonderful things with bad sources.  The music sounds great and so far, am supremely happy with my purchase.  The booklet seems slightly larger than most they have done.  I have glossed over it... appears to be their usual thorough job though I wish there was a section about all the hassles they went through to get the rights to do the box.  That's a minor quibble.  It's a blessing and one of 2,500.  If you haven't ordered it, you should consider doing so. 

Blessings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine arrived in Portland yesterday. I'm just finishing disc one as well. Some lovely Pee Wee Russell, and as a long-time fan of Bechet, I'm always delighted to hear more. Great booklet. I think I'm really going to enjoy exploring this set!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I've made it to disc 5.  Generally speaking, this has been a wonderful blast from the past and I've enjoyed it all.  It's not music I would usually listen to but still, it's infectious and baby, I've got the fever!  :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2022 at 11:51 AM, scooter_phx said:

Well, I'm currently listening to disc one.  Mosaic has done wonderful things with bad sources.  The music sounds great and so far, am supremely happy with my purchase.  The booklet seems slightly larger than most they have done.  I have glossed over it... appears to be their usual thorough job though I wish there was a section about all the hassles they went through to get the rights to do the box.  That's a minor quibble.  It's a blessing and one of 2,500.  If you haven't ordered it, you should consider doing so. 

Blessings.

Glad to hear it. I received mine last week. Just haven't had the time and space to give it a listen yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/07/2022 at 2:08 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

Does any forumist have any information on whether Jazzmessengers in Spain are likely to get this box set in stock?

Yes, apparently around the 20th but could be longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, OliverM said:

Yes, apparently around the 20th but could be longer.

I wonder what JazzMessengers' price will be. I usually order my Mosaics from them, but not this time, I thought a direct order from Mosaic might be a bit cheaper (even with the Customs charges) and faster; unfortunately, my order is still "processing"...

Edited by J.A.W.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in the UK and my thoughts were the same as J.A.W. regarding the price of the new set, when compared to JM.  I'm hoping I might avoid a customs charge but you never know.

My order is also still 'processing' - so much for shipping the last two weeks of June!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I will note is that in this phase of Mosaic's where they outsource shipping I have a) not received a shipping notice or a tracking number and the box set has just shown up, even though others have received both before a set arrives); b) I have received a shipping notice but not an actual shipping email with tracking; c) I have received a shipping notice and a shipping email with tracking; d) this last time I received an email that had a shipping notice and tracking number (but the tracking still shows that USPS is waiting for the package since Thursday). 

So sometimes I don't think a package is on the way and it just shows up, and sometimes I know shipping is imminent but have no tracking resource. . . every time the set has eventually reached me. So I've given up "holding my breath" waiting!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, jazzbo said:

One thing I will note is that in this phase of Mosaic's where they outsource shipping I have a) not received a shipping notice or a tracking number and the box set has just shown up, even though others have received both before a set arrives); b) I have received a shipping notice but not an actual shipping email with tracking; c) I have received a shipping notice and a shipping email with tracking; d) this last time I received an email that had a shipping notice and tracking number (but the tracking still shows that USPS is waiting for the package since Thursday). 

So sometimes I don't think a package is on the way and it just shows up, and sometimes I know shipping is imminent but have no tracking resource. . . every time the set has eventually reached me. So I've given up "holding my breath" waiting!

Yes, as excellent as Mosaic itself is, their outsourced shipping vendor's service has been erratic just as you describe.  I did get a tracking number this time and am expecting the set in the next day or so... excited to hear it and read the booklet.  As I think I mentioned elsewhere I was a big fan of Rhino's Central Avenue Sounds mid-1990s box set, and this new Mosaic seems to overlap with that particular bop 'n jump musical realm of 1940s Los Angeles.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Received my set on Tuesday and unfortunately it appears an elephant stepped on one corner of the shipping box, crushing one corner of the black box and plastic tray, though the CDs and booklet are okay.

Mosaic service has certainly gone down hill, as my query as to whether it was possible to obtain a replacement box/tray has gone unanswered for two days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Received my set on Tuesday and unfortunately it appears an elephant stepped on one corner of the shipping box, crushing one corner of the black box and plastic tray, though the CDs and booklet are okay.

Mosaic service has certainly gone down hill, as my query as to whether it was possible to obtain a replacement box/tray has gone unanswered for two days.

Did you mail Scott directly at scott@mosaicrecords.com ? In my experience he usually replies within a day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I'm on disc eight of the B&W set.  The only one that I really didn't care much for (in general) was the Jack McVea sessions.  I don't know why but they just didn't move me.  The Phil Moore sessions sound a great deal like Nat King Cole (which I guess isn't all that surprising).  They are pleasant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...