Mosaic's Black and White label box set

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

Mosaic hasn't been on time with a release date since I don't know when. We'll see, but I wouldn't expect this one until the end of the summer. I'd be delighted to be wrong!

gregmo

• I'll bet this one is on time.  They've been trying for years to release this set.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s going to be on time this one. Usually Mosaic doesn’t charge my credit card unless somethings going to be shipped soon. If The release date is out into the future, they usually don’t take payment. The last set, Lenny Tristano, I ordered that one was first available to order, but not anywhere near the shipping date, I wasn’t billed until 15 days or so prior to the release date. My credit card was charged $169 yesterday for this new one. I placed the order a few weeks ago.   

1 hour ago, Hardbopjazz said:

It’s going to be on time this one. Usually Mosaic doesn’t charge my credit card unless somethings going to be shipped soon. If The release date is out into the future, they usually don’t take payment. The last set, Lenny Tristano, I ordered that one was first available to order, but not anywhere near the shipping date, I wasn’t billed until 15 days or so prior to the release date. My credit card was charged $169 yesterday for this new one. I placed the order a few weeks ago.   

Dunno about that.  My card was charged when I placed the order (April 11).  Maybe it's different because I used PayPal.

Mosaic charges PayPal orders when they are placed, credit card orders when shipped (or nowadays, perhaps when transferred to the "shipping partner"). Before they farmed out the shipping, iirc the policy was clearly stated on the Mosaic website, but the site's changed over the years.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

Mosaic charges PayPal orders when they are placed, credit card orders when shipped (or nowadays, perhaps when transferred to the "shipping partner"). Before they farmed out the shipping, iirc the policy was clearly stated on the Mosaic website, but the site's changed over the years.

PayPal does that. PayPal is a vehicle for sending money. Mosaic had no part in it beyond accepting PayPal as a form of payment.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

On 5/19/2022 at 9:46 PM, T.D. said:

I think many sites do that. I know that Acoustic Sounds only takes (or prefers) credit cards for preorders. 

4 hours ago, tranemonk said:

Question for you guys... Which previous Mosaic set "sounds" kinda like this Black and White set? I don't mean sonically. I mean in terms of the music. I'm trying to decide whether to fork up the cash and need a reference point. Thanks.

Try The Complete H.R.S. Sessions:

The Complete H.R.S. [Hot Record Society] Sessions (6 CDs, MOSAIC ...

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

That's a good choice. I think I'd choose the Bee Hive set as the one that might seem most similar.

But the era would be wrong.  The Black and White box covers the years 1942-1947 (with one 1949 session at the end).  Other good comparisons would be the Mosaic Commodore boxes or the (non-Mosaic) Keynote box.  What makes this B&W box especially interesting (at least to me) is its focus on L.A. musicians, as opposed to N.Y.

6 hours ago, mjzee said:

But the era would be wrong.  The Black and White box covers the years 1942-1947 (with one 1949 session at the end).  Other good comparisons would be the Mosaic Commodore boxes or the (non-Mosaic) Keynote box.  What makes this B&W box especially interesting (at least to me) is its focus on L.A. musicians, as opposed to N.Y.

What Keynote box?

17 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions, and yeah, that's a good point of reference.  Another good musical point of comparison IMO, though not a Mosaic set, is Rhino's Central Avenue Sounds box set from the 1990s.  There may even be several Black & White releases in that collection.

Do you guess that the Black and White will sound better or worse (now I'm asking about the sonic experience)? Also I'm listening to Classic Capitol now and I thought it covered a broader (and earlier) spectrum of years than the Black and White set?

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I honestly don't think there's a Mosaic set quite like this one as far as material and scope. One that is far less complete but that is somewhat similar in nature is the EMI compilation "The Aladdin Records Story":

Agreed, but why not a single Lester Young track in this Aladdin compilation?

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I honestly don't think there's a Mosaic set quite like this one as far as material and scope. One that is far less complete but that is somewhat similar in nature is the EMI compilation "The Aladdin Records Story":

https://www.discogs.com/release/7394431-Various-Aladdin-The-Aladdin-Records-Story

That's a great set.  Superb liner notes, great sound quality, and very innovative packaging, with an often surprising mix of recordings.  

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

https://www.discogs.com/release/7394431-Various-Aladdin-The-Aladdin-Records-Story

Now there's one from which I definitely got my money's worth!  Jumpin' Like Mad also worked for me big time-and it does have a Lester Aladdin track.

https://www.discogs.com/release/9828776-Various-Jumpin-Like-Mad-Cool-Cats-Hip-Chicks-Non-Stop-Dancin

Edited by Jim Duckworth
added information