Barbara Thompson RIP

sidewinder

1 hour ago, Late said:

Isn't Thompson on the unreleased Wayne Shorter/McCoy Tyner Blue Note session? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Wayne Shorter Quintet

Wayne Shorter (ts) Barbara Burton (vib, bells, per) McCoy Tyner (p) Miroslav Vitous (b) Alphonse Mouzon (d, per)

A&R Studios, NYC, October 13, 1970

9 hours ago, felser said:

Wayne Shorter Quintet

Wayne Shorter (ts) Barbara Burton (vib, bells, per) McCoy Tyner (p) Miroslav Vitous (b) Alphonse Mouzon (d, per)

A&R Studios, NYC, October 13, 1970

I am friends with Barbara Burton on Facebook. One day I will get the nerve to ask her about the session, and her brief stint with Weather Report. 

Not forgetting either that early German TV appearances by herself, Jon Hiseman, Wolfgang Dauner et al (on a youth show no less) led to the formation of the United Jazz and Rock Ensemble. I think her following in Germany might have been even bigger than the UK.

Strangely no mention of this sad passing at the UK jazz festival I attended over the weekend.

51 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

This is sad news indeed.

She was one of the few Jazz musicians I knew in the days when I didn't listen to Jazz, I think because of her fairly regular appearances on the BBC - do I remember a 'Rock Goes To College' or similar broadcast

Don’t remember that but it might be possible. She certainly had a high profile in UK jazz in the 70s/80s in particular.

We must also not forget her fantastic work on saxophones and flute with Neil Ardley’s New Jazz Orchestra. Classically trained flautist, superb technique.

Edited by sidewinder

On 11.7.2022 at 11:41 AM, sidewinder said:

Not forgetting either that early German TV appearances by herself, Jon Hiseman, Wolfgang Dauner et al (on a youth show no less) led to the formation of the United Jazz and Rock Ensemble. I think her following in Germany might have been even bigger than the UK.

Yes, she was very high-profile in Germany back in the 70s/80s (and even later in the space that the UJRE occupied) and was considered a fixture of the German jazz scene.