RSD Releases

Brad

Albert Ayler - Europe 1966, from Org
Chet Baker - Chet, from Craft. First time in mono in a long time. 
Chet Baker - Blue Room: The 1979 Vara Studio Sessions In Holland, from Anagram

Miles Davis - TURNAROUND: Unreleased Rare Vinyl from On The Corner
Bill Evans - Treasures Solo, Trio & Orchestra In Denmark 1965-1969, from Anagram Records (looks to be part of Elemental Records)
Charlie Parker - Afro Cuban Bop: The Long Lost Bird Live Recordings, from Liberation Hall/Rockbeat. 
Max Roach and Archie Shepp - Force - Sweet Mao - Suid Afrika 76, from LMLR

Archie Shepp - Live at Massy, from LMLR

Sonny Stitt - The Bubba Sessions

Sonny Stitt - Boppin’ in Baltimore, from Anagram. Mastered by Bernie Grundman

The Bird one doesn’t look like anything special: a compilation of previously released sessions. 

There are also a couple of Muddy Water releases that look interesting. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same here. 'Live At Massy' is good too

I thougt the Shirley Scott discussed in its own thread is a RSD too, it is in the UK. As is a reissue on Gilles Peterson's Arc label of Lateef's Detroit wiith map co-ordinates album. I'll get that and the Scott I suspect

Edited by mjazzg

I’ll be tempted with the Miles ‘Turnaround’, those Miles issues have been fun so far, albeit material taken from the box sets.

The two Left Bank sets will be of interest as well (although just the Shirley Scott seems to be on the UK list). Not sure about the Bill Evans 3LP Danish thing - could be expensive..

There’s also this one on Gearbox.

art-blakey-the-jazz-messengers-at-the-ja

Not forgetting also the ‘Mr Benn’ album, featuring Duncan Lamont and co !

In summary... empty your pockets.

Edited by sidewinder

Is this newly discovered Bird?

Charlie Parker - Afro Cuban Bop: The Long Lost Bird Live Recordings, from Liberation Hall

Perhaps not new stuff.

This vinyl debut captures one of the biggest names in jazz, at the peak of his powers, live in concert.

this 180-gram double set features 18 selections from charlie parker, one of jazz’s greatest saxophonists. all the recordings were captured in the late 1940s and early '50s at such storied venues as carnegie hall and birdland in new york, the jubilee in los angeles, and the portland civic auditorium. focused on experiments in afro-cuban fusion, parker is joined by a dazzling array of jazz legends including dizzy gillespie, milt jackson, art blakey, woody herman, stan kenton, red rodney, and others. the track listing matches the cast of musicians – classics ‘cherokee’ and ‘a night in tunisia’ are captured in pristine form, while maintaining the intimate jazz spontaneity of parker’s best recordings. the package includes an essay by rock keyboardist keith emerson.

52 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'd buy it just to read Keith Emerson's insights on Bird...

My hunch is that it's all been out there before, just not "officially".

The RSD blurb says “While these tracks have previously appeared on other albums, this is the first time they have been gathered in one package.”

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I'm pretty sure the Ayler has all been out on cd before.

Yes, on hathut Lorrach/Paris & Stocholm/Berlin. 

By the way, more from Munich, Rotterdam & Helsinki in a new hathut.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

That Roach/Shepp is Hall Of Fame material imo. They did another one for Hat that is better known, but Force is....oh my god, SO good.

Colored vinyl by a suspect label, I'm satisfied with my original pressings.

Edited by cayetano
Wrong format.

47 minutes ago, cayetano said:

Colored vinyl by a suspect label, I'm satisfied with my original pressings.

Those not so endowed might not have such concerns.

It's a truly great record that was released on a truly obscure and long-defunct label, how anybody gets it today is not really my concern. 

Are there any masters to be had? 

4 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Charlie Parker - Afro Cuban Bop: The Long Lost Bird Live Recordings, from Liberation Hall

Perhaps not new stuff.

This vinyl debut captures one of the biggest names in jazz, at the peak of his powers, live in concert.

this 180-gram double set features 18 selections from charlie parker, one of jazz’s greatest saxophonists. all the recordings were captured in the late 1940s and early '50s at such storied venues as carnegie hall and birdland in new york, the jubilee in los angeles, and the portland civic auditorium. focused on experiments in afro-cuban fusion, parker is joined by a dazzling array of jazz legends including dizzy gillespie, milt jackson, art blakey, woody herman, stan kenton, red rodney, and others. the track listing matches the cast of musicians – classics ‘cherokee’ and ‘a night in tunisia’ are captured in pristine form, while maintaining the intimate jazz spontaneity of parker’s best recordings. the package includes an essay by rock keyboardist keith emerson.

I got this a few years ago on cd and Amazon is saying a cd will be available again in April. 

15 hours ago, medjuck said:

I got this a few years ago on cd and Amazon is saying a cd will be available again in April. 

Apparently it was issued in 2015 and it’s being reissued again. I suppose it’s being issued in vinyl is what makes it novel. 

9 hours ago, Pim said:

Really like the Ayler boxed set. Nice way to compile these concerts and I am pretty sure Craft will make something nice out of the package. 

I was really hoping they may have added the previously unreleased Copenhagen concert, unfortunately no

already have all of this on 2CDs

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/15959

The stated label is ORG - is that related to Craft?

On 2/18/2023 at 6:28 AM, kh1958 said:

Perhaps not new stuff.

11 of the 18 titles are on this Jazz Factory CD

https://www.discogs.com/release/6252008-Charlie-Parker-Live-With-The-Big-Bands

On 2/18/2023 at 6:36 AM, JSngry said:

Stitt/Baltimore is previously unreleased Left Bank stuff with , Kenny Barron.

And the Bubba thing has Jaws and Sweets... 

I am unaware of Stitt with Barron on another occasion so this one is interesting to me. Plus more Left Bank issues on the same RSD?  But I don't think it's CD as well so that's a disappointment.

The Bubba Thing is ridiculous as far as I know its had multiple releases, though perhaps not on vinyl since then?  Should be Eddie Higgins on piano.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I am unaware of Stitt with Barron on another occasion so this one is interesting to me. Plus more Left Bank issues on the same RSD?  But I don't think it's CD as well so that's a disappointment.

The Bubba Thing is ridiculous as far as I know its had multiple releases, though perhaps not on vinyl since then?  Should be Eddie Higgins on piano.

One site I saw said the Stitt would be available on cd but I didn’t see it on Amazon unlike the Bishop and Scott dates.