Horace Tapscott & Pan Afrikan People Arkestra - Live at IUCC 11/2678 2CD

jcam_44

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, T.D. said:

you won't find it under Tapscott - it's listed under Pan Afrikan People's Arkestra

13 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

I'm interested but what's the ratio of instrumental excursions to vocal/choir singing?

Forgive me, but jazz choirs just aren't my thing. Asking bc some of the BFTs have had some Pan Afrikan Arkestra tracks that included choirs and well, it was all good until...

Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra recordings from this era are almost entirely instrumental for the most part, vocals are most prominent on Tapscott's recordings with Dwight Trible, who started collaborating with him in the early 90s I believe. If I'm remembering correctly, the vocal sections in the recordings from the 70s (Live at I.U.C.C., The Call, Flight 17, Ancestral Echoes, and Century City Playhouse) are mostly very brief relative to the length of the tunes (Some of these don't even contain tracks with singing, just spoken word). The big band sets from Tapscott where vocals are most prominent are "Moers 1995" (bootleg) and "Why Don't You Listen? LACMA 1998" (PAPA augmented with a choir). Most likely, the only vocals on this new CD will be present on "Lift Every Voice" and probably some spoken word sections here and there. 

16 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra recordings from this era are almost entirely instrumental for the most part, vocals are most prominent on Tapscott's recordings with Dwight Trible, who started collaborating with him in the early 90s I believe. If I'm remembering correctly, the vocal sections in the recordings from the 70s (Live at I.U.C.C., The Call, Flight 17, Ancestral Echoes, and Century City Playhouse) are mostly very brief relative to the length of the tunes (Some of these don't even contain tracks with singing, just spoken word). The big band sets from Tapscott where vocals are most prominent are "Moers 1995" (bootleg) and "Why Don't You Listen? LACMA 1998" (PAPA augmented with a choir). Most likely, the only vocals on this new CD will be present on "Lift Every Voice" and probably some spoken word sections here and there. 

Agreed.

Looking at the booklet of the 2-CD P-APA Live at IUCC (1979), it appears that the only piece with choir is the short concluding "Lift Every Voice". By analogy, and recognizing some of the titles, I expect the same from the 1978 recording.

Don't have time to listen to "1979" tonight, may check tomorrow.

Edited by T.D.

31 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Agreed.

Looking at the booklet of the 2-CD P-APA Live at IUCC (1979), it appears that the only piece with choir is the short concluding "Lift Every Voice". By analogy, and recognizing some of the titles, I expect the same from the 1978 recording.

There is at least one track with a spoken word section. But it’s brief and I like it!

14 hours ago, T.D. said:

That will reduce the numbers count, for sure !  I think there’s probably a fair chance that JazzMessengers will get it in as well.

7 hours ago, Dodo said:

Great info. Thanks! 

Not a huge vocals fan here either but must say that with Tapscott it mostly really adds something special to the music plus the singers could actually sing.

I experience the opposite with some of the records of another fave of mine: Hannibal. On his records the, imo sometimes awful singing, really annoys me though never enough to fully skip a record of him.

4 minutes ago, Pim said:

Not a huge vocals fan here either but must say that with Tapscott it mostly really adds something special to the music plus the singers could actually sing.

+1. I'm not big on vocals, but they work with the Tapscott material. And Dwight Trible is really excellent, I enjoy the other Nimbus West (and Build an Ark) albums on which he appears, and am considering purchasing his recordings as leader.

8 minutes ago, T.D. said:

+1. I'm not big on vocals, but they work with the Tapscott material. And Dwight Trible is really excellent, I enjoy the other Nimbus West (and Build an Ark) albums on which he appears, and am considering purchasing his recordings as leader.

Yeah Trible is an excellent singer. And I actually LOVE Adele Sebastian’s singing on The Call!

14 hours ago, T.D. said:

Agreed.

I wholeheartedly recommend the 1979 I.U.C.C. recording, it's probably my very favorite of Tapscott's big band recordings, which is saying a lot because I really love every single one of them. The track McKowsky's First Fifth (which was cut from the original LP, either because of space limitations or maybe because of a brief section where the band loses sync with each other) includes a spoken word section BTW, which is in tribute to Eric Dolphy, and it's wonderful.

I'm really curious about the recording quality on this upcoming CD; Nimbus West likened the quality of some of Albach's documentations of the I.U.C.C. performances to field recordings, but I'm not sure about this recording specifically. Wish Nimbus included samples on their store page.

• 3 weeks later...