Some Blues Recommendations, But Not the Kind That're Blue

Rabshakeh

There are some good blues threads on here already, but they generally stick to the classic blues template laid down by the likes of Muddy Waters, Hound Dog Taylor, BB King, etc. 

I would love to hear recommendations of your favourite blues LPs that depart from that template. 

No particular requirements other than (1) being clearly blues, (2) being post war, and (3) departing from the well known style.

I am looking for blues LPs with different instrumentation, fingerpicking, psychedelic edges or effects, more fragile vocals, more crazy vocals, horn sections, electric keyboards, different rhythms (Latin or afrobeat), part way to soul, heavy metal or funk, or just general weirdness or idiosyncrasy.

Post war only, please. Pre war blues has long been a favourite genre of mine, and I feel more comfortable there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up most of Robert Cray’s catalog in the dollar bins between 12-20 years ago — without really trying. I’ve always found him to be a little outside the norm, but the real deal never the less.

(Do I dare say: he’s not cray-cray, but he is Cray? :P)

Thing is, he doesn’t follow blues forms religiously all the time — not in the way that Bob Dylan (or Robert Johnson) both drop and add measures willy-nilly… …but his own forms (though all pretty ‘regular’), simply aren’t strictly blues.

(That said, his form alterations aren’t that radical, and may not be what you’re looking for. But he’s willing to go with some static harmony (pedal point bass), and/or alternating chords (iirc) a fair bit, which I like because it builds tension — just like in a LOT of the jazz I like too!)

I don’t spin him all that much (nor any blues artists) — but I’ve always liked him, and always meant to go hear him live.

The album that put him on the map was Strong Persuader (Mercury, 1986) — but I don’t think anything of his after that is sub-par.

Anyone else here like Robert Cray?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Have you tried Otis Taylor? He has a bunch of CDs, all pretty good. He's very idiosyncratic--trance blues, he calls it; his vocals are in a somewhat narrow range but he writes interesting lyrics; he mostly plays banjo and has unconventional combinations of musicians on his CDs, including some jazz musicians (he's collaborated with Jason Moran and Ron Miles). Several of his CDs feature the psychedelic blues guitarist Eddie Devilboy Turner.

60's Paul Butterfield, Stevie Ray Vaughan, 60's Johnny Winter, Louisiana Red, Roy Buchanan, early Fleetwood Mac, early John Mayall, Bloomfield/Gravenites., 60's Savoy Brown, early Ten Years After, Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson.

Gary Clark Jr. maybe?  — don’t own anything by him (yet)… …but every time I’ve seen him on TV (Austin City Limits, for one, maybe a couple other time too), I’ve been both impressed AND intrigued by what sounded like a willingness to break blues forms.

Surely someone else here knows better than me, and can weigh in.

1 hour ago, felser said:

60's Paul Butterfield, Stevie Ray Vaughan, 60's Johnny Winter, Louisiana Red, Roy Buchanan, early Fleetwood Mac, early John Mayall, Bloomfield/Gravenites., 60's Savoy Brown, early Ten Years After, Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson.

Plus Canned Heat. 

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I picked up most of Robert Cray’s catalog in the dollar bins between 12-20 years ago — without really trying. I’ve always found him to be a little outside the norm, but the real deal never the less.

Thing is, he doesn’t follow blues forms religiously all the time — not in the way that Bob Dylan (or Robert Johnson) both drop and add measures willy-nilly… …but his own forms (though all pretty ‘regular’), simply aren’t strictly blues.

(That said, his form alterations aren’t that radical, and may not be what you’re looking for. But he’s willing to go with some static harmony (pedal point bass), and/or alternating chords (iirc) a fair bit, which I like because it builds tension — just like in a LOT of the jazz I like too!)

I don’t spin him all that much (nor any blues artists) — but I’ve always liked him, and always meant to go hear him live.

The album that put him on the map was Strong Persuader (Mercury, 1986) — but I don’t think anything of his after that is sub-par.

Yes, I saw him locally long ago and know his current keyboard player.  That said, I've heard live performances that were more compelling to me than anything on record and stopped buying his albums long ago.  but I'd still say I like him.

When I was working in the record store last year, one of the most depressing things was straightening the bues section and realizing that there was next to nothing from the last 30 years or so that had any interest to me.  And yes, I have heard some.

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I am a huge Robert Cray fan, although I find his albums to be a bit uneven in inspiration.  

Robert Cray's real genius is in his guitar playing (IMO).  He is one of the handful of blues guitarists who reached the pinnacle of the art, someone who speaks through his guitar with a blues voice so distinctive that you know it is him after just a few notes.  He is probably the last of the giants in that regard.   

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Never heard anything that left an impression or that made me want to search for more. Better stuff elsewhere... 

One great album, 'Strong Persuader', which is very special.  Agree that the rest of his catalog is lukewarm at best.

Some longtime faves, either veering between Soul, Gospel and Blues :

William Bell "This Is Where I Live" (Stax)    2016

Mighty Sam McLain "Give It Up To Love" (AudioQuest)    1993

Terry Evans "Blues For Thought (Pointblack)     1993

Pops Staples "Peace To The Neighbourhood" (Pointblack)    1992 ....

Or Country Blues :

Johnny Shines "Too Wet To Plow" (Tomato)     1977 ....

Thanks everyone!

I am particularly looking for LPs, rather than artist names. Again, only from the postwar period.

Was vaguely hoping that there would be some Latinised blues or steel drum blues classics out there.

16 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Some longtime faves, either veering between Soul, Gospel and Blues :

William Bell "This Is Where I Live" (Stax)    2016

Mighty Sam McLain "Give It Up To Love" (AudioQuest)    1993

Terry Evans "Blues For Thought (Pointblack)     1993

Pops Staples "Peace To The Neighbourhood" (Pointblack)    1992 ....

Or Country Blues :

Johnny Shines "Too Wet To Plow" (Tomato)     1977 ....

Thanks! These look great. Something to explore.

5 hours ago, felser said:

I know a lot of these guys, and as a younger man, the Brits and Stevie RV were a platform in, but I think that I tend to see Mayall etc as following the template as closely as they were able. 

5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Have you tried Otis Taylor? He has a bunch of CDs, all pretty good. He's very idiosyncratic--trance blues, he calls it; his vocals are in a somewhat narrow range but he writes interesting lyrics; he mostly plays banjo and has unconventional combinations of musicians on his CDs, including some jazz musicians (he's collaborated with Jason Moran and Ron Miles). Several of his CDs feature the psychedelic blues guitarist Eddie Devilboy Turner.

Where would you start with him?

5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I love Strong Pretender. Almost an 80s MOR rock record but the fact that it still clearly blues at heart elevates it. Plus really really great songwriting throughout.

Clarence Gatemouth Brown - "San Antonio Ballbuster".

Straddles the fence of post-war "Blues" and "RHYTHM & Blues" and should amply satisfly BOTH camps (unless you blues people are in a constant down-homey mood - or rut ;)). The  original reissue release on Red Lightnin' later resurfaced on a Charly LP. Same contents.

9 hours ago, felser said:

One great album, 'Strong Persuader', which is very special.  Agree that the rest of his catalog is lukewarm at best.

If you haven't heard it yet, I would suggest checking out his earlier album "False Accusations."  That really blew my mind when it first came out, and it is still my favorite Robert Cray album.  

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks everyone!

I am particularly looking for LPs, rather than artist names. Again, only from the postwar period.

Paul Butterfield Blues Band

East West

I’m Cutting Out - Mike Bloomfield 

The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper.  Incredible album.

Canned Heat (their first album)

CH was steeped in the blues. Alan “Blind Owl” Wilson was something else. Their Woodstock performance was eye opening.

Edited by Brad