New Age Pianist George Winston - RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

George Winston, a pianist whose style is often grouped in the "New Age" music category has died at the age of 73 after a 10-year bout with cancer. Winston himself preferred to be called a "folk pianist".

https://www.georgewinston.com/about/

My wife & I have often listened to many of Winston's recordings over the years as we found them very enjoyable in a relaxed sort of way. We particularly liked playing his music at meal times. We saw him live several times as well, including the last time he came through the area just a few years ago. A memorable performance was when he played in Boston at the old Opera House, a beautiful venue to see/hear musical performances.

Folk piano' by way of John Cage: George Winston defies musical stereotypes

George Winston – Winter Into Spring (1982, Vinyl) - Discogs

Primary

1 hour ago, bresna said:

George Winston, a pianist whose style is often grouped in the "New Age" music category has died at the age of 73 after a 10-year bout with cancer. Winston himself preferred to be called a "folk pianist".

https://www.georgewinston.com/about/

My wife & I have often listened to many of Winston's recordings over the years as we found them very enjoyable in a relaxed sort of way. We particularly liked playing his music at meal times. We saw him live several times as well, including the last time he came through the area just a few years ago. A memorable performance was when he played in Boston at the old Opera House, a beautiful venue to see/hear musical performances.

Folk piano' by way of John Cage: George Winston defies musical stereotypes

George Winston – Winter Into Spring (1982, Vinyl) - Discogs

Primary

R.I.P.

I was given a cassette of one of his solo albums (it might have been Autumn, but I forget) back around 1990.

I enjoyed it and frequently played it in the car (until the cassette failed).

16 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

IIRC he produced a pretty good Professor Longhair album, so thanks to him for that.  RIP

The Longhair album was actually licensed from a French label, but he did have the good taste to release it it the US. I enjoyed the series of Hawaiian slack key guitar albums he produced on his Dancing Cat label, by Ray Kane, Sonny Chillingworth, Keola Beamer, Ledward Kaapana, Cyril Pahinui, Cyril Pahinui, and others.

Always enjoyed his music. My sister and I got to see him live in 1991 at the Paramount in Austin. They chilled the theater and then turned off the AC so we could better hear his piano. His albums Summer and the tribute to Vince Guaraldi are my favorites. I never thought of him as new age; he seemed to me to be the John Fahey of the piano.

2 hours ago, romualdo said:

there's the connection but his relationship with Fahey goes deeper than that

https://www.furious.com/perfect/fahey/fahey-winston.html

Thanks for sharing that.  I do think Fahey was a "rainmaker" - he started things, he made things happen.  I didn't know Winston recorded for Tacoma.  I didn't know John Abercrombie recorded for Wyndham Hill.  I've never heard of John Creger.

20 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Thanks for sharing that.  I do think Fahey was a "rainmaker" - he started things, he made things happen.  I didn't know Winston recorded for Tacoma.  I didn't know John Abercrombie recorded for Wyndham Hill.  I've never heard of John Creger.

I've been a listener of Fahey's for years, well before the term "American Primitive" was coined for his (and others) "category" of music