New VMP Box - Story of Impulse Records

Eric

Details here:

https://www.vinylmeplease.com/products/the-story-of-impulse-records?variant=39416224907354

I suppose ... if you are a collector of these things.  Nothing here that interests me or otherwise don't have.  A vast catalog and hard to select eight albums and for sure, they did not select a bunch of obvious war-horse titles.  But still, what coulda been ...

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

A fair amount of "smoke & mirrors" in the "audio sourcing". No mention of original masters, production masters, safeties, etc.

They do say this:

The first six titles are AAA-mastered from tapes, and the final two are mastered from a hybrid of the highest quality digital and physical masters available, with lacquers cut by Ryan Smith and Barry Grint.

11 minutes ago, bresna said:

They do say this:

The first six titles are AAA-mastered from tapes, and the final two are mastered from a hybrid of the highest quality digital and physical masters available, with lacquers cut by Ryan Smith and Barry Grint.

In my experience the American Automobile Association does exquisite sound work.

Edited by AllenLowe

27 minutes ago, bresna said:

They do say this:

The non AAA appears to be causing some discussion on the VMP thread. 

4 hours ago, Brad said:

The non AAA appears to be causing some discussion on the VMP thread. 

As I was attempting to point out, AAA only means "all analogue" - source could be session tapes, production masters, safeties, reference copies, even cassettes. The number of generations from the session tapes makes a big difference.

4 hours ago, Pim said:

There’s really no reason to buy this for me part from the insane price. All of this music I already have or is not of my interest. The recent AS issue of Karma is excellent.

I agree.  Most of the music doesn’t interest me.  If they had a box that did, I might consider it. They were having a sale on their Vanguard box last year; I purchased it for $130. Good deal. Must be a slow mover. 

• 2 weeks later...

This box is uninteresting to me mainly because of the selection (how to not put Ascension?). About the price, don't know, I read there's a great work and care on their releases (AAA, mastering, high quality jackets, podcast, booklets, art prints, etc).

I'm instead watching at some of their Spiritual Jazz releases, since it's active this 20$-off promo on July.

Edited by maldororrr

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

No money from me until this gets reissued along with the mysterious Vol. 2:

OTAtNzI3Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

In case you are serious (presumably not) or an obsessive Impulse completist, there's a copy of this at Josey Records for a few dollars. It was in the Various section of Jazz. It's been there a good while and is probably still there.

Edited by kh1958

Actually, if it's a good price..

That Ohio State band was a Ladd McIntosh joint, and I am curious about him.

But $4.99 is as high as I want to get. It was in the Longview Treasure City cutout bins forever, and even in 1970-1974, that Joe DeVito guy on the cover was just not working for me. Nor were the other two pictures.

But on the inside, I see this!!!

OTAtMzE5OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Liner notes by Stanley Dance as well, in which he favorably compares a Ladd McIntosh chart to Duke Ellington.

Go figure. 

If it IS a good price and basically (at least in a wider sense) fits your style tastes, why not just file it in the "Obscurities and oddities" corner of your jazz collection? :D
That's what I would tell myself as a "purchase decision-maker" 😉 if an item like that came my way at a price at which anyone would be able to take chances.

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Actually, if it's a good price..

That Ohio State band was a Ladd McIntosh joint, and I am curious about him.

But $4.99 is as high as I want to get. It was in the Longview Treasure City cutout bins forever, and even in 1970-1974, that Joe DeVito guy on the cover was just not working for me. Nor were the other two pictures.

But on the inside, I see this!!!

OTAtMzE5OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Liner notes by Stanley Dance as well, in which he favorably compares a Ladd McIntosh chart to Duke Ellington.

Go figure. 

I don't recall the price but probably north of $5, but closer to $5 than $10. A tough decision awaits you. (Falling in the obsessive Impulse collector category, I already have a copy.)

Edited by kh1958

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Do you have the Beverly Jenkins and Oscar Brown records?

I still regret passing on the Jackie Paris side a few decades ago. Haven't seen it since .. 

I have LP copies of the Jackie Paris (stereo red/black label), the Oscar Brand (white mono promo), and the Beverly Jenkins (mono orange black label). 

Of the first 150, I'm only missing on LP the Johnny Hartman, I Just Dropped By to Say Hello, and the Archie Shepp, Fire Music.

Edited by kh1958

On 7/27/2023 at 11:42 AM, JSngry said:

How is that Jackie Paris? 

I pulled it out and listened again.

Jackie Paris' voice is very well recorded throughout. Interestingly, the recording lists three engineers. Frank Abbey (stereo), Bob Arnold (monaural), Rudy Van Gelder (re-recording and masters).

The album is a split session. The first side has orchestral arrangements by Bobby Scott; it's bordering on a pop album; not really my cup of tea. The best cut is Up in Duke's Place, which has a nice Barry Galbraith solo on guitar.

The second side is my strong preference--as he is backed by the excellent trio of Hank Jones, George Duvivier, and Roy Haynes. On 3 of the 5 tracks, Jackie Paris plays acoustic guitar, soloing on the one instrumental (Thad's Blues). The second side is what I would return to.

Edited by kh1958