Morgan/Shorter and Chambers/Kelly Vee Jays

Chambers/Kelly query.

The Mosaic lists five tracks as the contents of 1st Bassman.

The euro vee Jay has six tracks:

1. Melody (Lateef) - 4:11

2. Bass Region (Lateef) - 10:38

3. Retrogress (Lateef) - 3:33

4. Mopp Shoe Blues (Lateef) - 6:08

5. Blessed (Lateef) - 7:07

6. Who's Blues (Adderley) - 8:26

The last one does not appear on the Mosaic. Any explanation?

Shades of Blue (aka Who's Blues) is on the Mosaic - it is just from a different session (the one with Cannonball issued as "Go"). Probably just tacked on to the European version of 1st Bassman ...

Edited by Eric

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had any interest in either of these sets, primarily due to the alternates. I took a shot and went with the Kelly/Chambers and I'm glad I did. There's some great music here and some fantastic sidemen (Cannonball, Lateef, Mogie, Shorter). And then there's the Strozier session which is excellent.

I really recommend this one if you're on the fence.

In the past, when I'd read through the Mosaic catalogue, I'd always stop at the Vee Jay Mosaics, read the words and think, "I'll never purchase these worthless sets. There are too many alternate takes. I'm not that much of a collector."

Damned DrJ made an excellent post and made me purchase the Vee Jay Mosaics. The sets are nothing short of excellent. They are not 'for collectors only.' They are for anybody who enjoys these performers. I don't know why I didn't place more trust in Cuscuna and Mosaic.

Edited by wesbed

:o oh no!!! I almost fainted when I read these two sets are on the Last Chance List in the new Mosaic brochure today ... a look at my bank account clearly say NO :angry: but my heart and ears say YES :tup , at least for the Kelly/Chambers ....

if you don't see me here for a while, it's because two months without internet might buy me the other set .... :w

Edited by mikeweil

:o oh no!!! I almost fainted when I read these two sets are on the Last Chance List in the new Mosaic brochure today ... a look at my bank account clearly say NO :angry: but my heart and ears say YES :tup , at least for the Kelly/Chambers ....

if you don't see me here for a while, it's because two months without internet might buy me the other set .... :w

We'll make it! Had the same feelings, and I definitively want them both... Yet it seems they will last some time, no? I think someone posted that they were not actually running low yet, but due to the license expiry, they'd put them on the list. Well, let's cross our fingers!

ubu

Oh no holy shitte!!!! :o

I dropped them a message asking how long they think the two sets are going to be around, and here's their answer:

Hard to estimate. But probably 1 - 3 weeks.

Get it?

Hard to estimate. But probably 1 - 3 weeks.

HOLY CRAP!!

Just placed my order: the Morgan/Shorter plus the HRS sessions. I have more than half of the Kelly/Chambers material, that´s why I didn´t include it.

I had the great sounding Japanese 24-bit K2 remastered Kelly / Chambers reissues, but sold them once I'd heard the Mosaic...

Just placed my order: the Morgan/Shorter plus the HRS sessions. I have more than half of the Kelly/Chambers material, that´s why I didn´t include it.

I had the great sounding Japanese 24-bit K2 remastered Kelly / Chambers reissues, but sold them once I'd heard the Mosaic...

Hans: do you want my heart to be broken when that one finally goes OOP? :(

;)

Hans: do you want my heart to be broken when that one finally goes OOP? :(

;)

Well, I think that's up to you... ;)

I had most of the Blue Moon issues of this material before I bought the two Vee Jay sets.

Until recently, I had ZERO interest in the Vee Jay Mosaics. I too, would skip over them in the catalog.

I am so happy that I bought both sets while I could. To me, the Blue Moons don't compare at all.

Both of my sets arrived yesterday - both in the high 1700s. The Morgan/Shorter was a winner from the first minute of listening, the usual amazing compositional quality from Wayne and front line playing unique to these two artists. Superb :tup Have also listened to the first two disks of the Kelly/Chambers and again its a big :tup . No issues at all for me with the alternative takes, its nice to hear the fresh insights the musicians add to the alternates. The usual great booklets and packaging, all in all a winning couple of boxes.

Can't understand why I didn't grab the Morgan/Shorter much earlier... :rfr

One more question about Morgan/Shorter as I consider taking out a second mortgage to get yet one more Mosaic set. :rolleyes:

I have the Wayning Moments Cd and have been giving it a spin over the past couple of days. I consider it to be excellent. Is the rest of the M/S set generally at the same high level as this one? If so, then I know what I'll have to do.