Miles Davis - Paris 1957 (ORT)

John L

It looks to be more complete and with better sound than this RLR CD:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6970067-Miles-Davis-The-Unissued-195657-Paris-Broadcasts

Fresh Sound CD tracklist:

1 Solar

2 Four

3 What's New?

4 No Moe

5 Lady Bird

6 Tune Up

7 I’ll Remember April

8 Bag's Groove

9 'Round Midnight

10 Now's The Time

11 Walkin'

12 The Theme 

Edited by Ken Dryden

Both are great concerts. I think the sound is a little better here, though I haven't made a direct comparison this week. There are only a week apart between them. . . very similar performances but as you know there are significant differences between Miles concerts in any year.

31 minutes ago, Eric said:

Looks like Barney Wilen only appears on three tracks, making this otherwise a quartet?

Per the Fresh Sound website:

Miles Davis, trumpet (out on #5, 7, 10); Barney Wilen, tenor sax; René Urtreger, piano; Pierre Michelot, bass; Kenny Clarke, drums.
Recorded live at the Olympia, Paris, November 30, 1957

So it looks like a Wilen quartet for those 3 tracks, otherwise a quintet with Miles.

Ordered today along with the Philly Joe and Rikers Island discs.

15 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Per the Fresh Sound website:

Miles Davis, trumpet (out on #5, 7, 10); Barney Wilen, tenor sax; René Urtreger, piano; Pierre Michelot, bass; Kenny Clarke, drums.
Recorded live at the Olympia, Paris, November 30, 1957

So it looks like a Wilen quartet for those 3 tracks, otherwise a quintet with Miles.

Ordered today along with the Philly Joe and Rikers Island discs.

My goodness, I had it backwards, thanks for correcting me!  Much better, wanted to hear more Wilen!

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Cheaper to order from the label.

been doing that for years

The recording of this historic concert is presented in its entirety for the first time in this edition. The remastered original tapes have been used to produce this CD, ensuring excellent sound quality.

With little publicity and only one star arrived from America, Miles Davis, Bruno Coquatrix, owner and manager of the Olympia, accomplished an impressive feat by presenting a sold-out concert on Saturday, November 30, 1957, at 6 p.m. André Hodeir in Jazz Hot had written, "This concert by Miles Davis was one of the most beautiful jazz concerts we have ever heard in Paris. Brilliantly supported by Kenny Clarke, René Urtreger, Pierre Michelot, and Barney Wilen, the great trumpeter gave the best of himself in many passages."

The producer and owner of this recording was the late jazz promoter Marcel Romano, who brought Miles Davis to Paris. After more than 60 years in storage, Romano’s nephew and heir discovered the tapes and sold them to Fresh Sound Records for a commercial release.

The music on this album is a magnificent testament to Miles Davis’ engaging and captivating style, showcasing his unrivaled ability to push his peers beyond their limits and share his boundless creativity and inspiration with them, leaving an indelible mark on our hearts and minds.

—Jordi Pujol

Must be very interesting. Once I heard the movie score Miles recorded with the same personnel, also in Paris. But never heard live sets of this strange combination of Miles with Paris  based musicians. I always had thought that Miles at that stage of his career would play only with his own quintet, until I had read somewhere that Miles also played with those musicians on something called "Birdland Tour" which toured all the world in the 50´s . 

I have heard about Marcel Romano. He is also on a photo in NY with Bud Powell and Paul Chambers. I think he was the one who brought Bud to Paris....

Miles played with Urtreger’s quartet a handful of times, mostly in France, but at least once in the Netherlands too. These are just the dates for which recorded excerpts exist (perhaps there were one or two other appearances? — couldn't be many, given the short window of possible dates).

November 30, 1957 Olympia Theatre - Paris, France René Urtreger Quartet with Miles Davis
December 1957 Unknown venue - Unknown city, France René Urtreger Quartet with Miles Davis
December 4-5, 1957 Le Poste Parisien Studio - Paris, France René Urtreger Quartet with Miles Davis
December 7, 1957 Buttes Chaumont Studio - Paris, France René Urtreger Quartet with Miles Davis
December 8, 1957 Concertgebouw - Amsterdam, The Netherlands René Urtreger Quartet with Miles Davis
December 18, 1957 Beethovensaal - Stuttgart, Germany Erwin Lehn Orchestra 

Then less than two weeks later, he also appeared in Stuttgart with the Erwin Lehn Orchestra (big band) — and that’s included that in my cut-n-past above.

This is all from Peter Losin’s wonderful site (select the 1950’s from the drop-down list at the link below to see the entire decade, with links to each session/live-entry).

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx

NOTE: The blue color of the links didn’t come over, but that grid right above does have clickable URL’s for each live date — the underlined locations in the second column.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Continuing...  I’ve always been fascinated by the German big band date on 18-Dec-1957 in Stuttgart, with the Erwin Lehn Orchestra — which has FOOTAGE!!  What else is known about it? — the circumstances of how it came about, and really anything else about it — ???

Clips have been used in one or two Miles documentaries over the years, and I remember first seeing maybe a minute of this footage back in collage around 1992. Here’s the session details:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=571218

First, here’s video of the full-length cut of “Walkin” (which at 3:30 total, is more than a minute longer than what’s listed on Peter Losin’s site) — but I’m not sure if video of any of the other tunes are available online anywhere (but not on YouTube, far as I can tell).

As I said, I think the first time I ever saw any footage from this, was a part of a French(?) Miles documentary I got a 3rd or 4th generation VHS dub of back in around ‘92.  Not sure this is it, but the footage is sure close in any case.

And I just found this next one too -- AUDIO ONLY -- which appears to have more/most(?) of “Yesterdays” and a wonderful “Round Midnight”.  Maybe this is the entire thing, come to think of it -- I haven't had the chance to listen all the way through, but skipping around and looking at the individual track times, this might be everything:

And just googling around some more, and the complete session seems to possibly be as follows…

https://themidnightcafe.org/2022/07/14/miles-davis-stuttgart-germany-12-18-57/

I'll cut-n-paste all that here too, just for posterity...

Miles Davis – Stuttgart, Germany (12/18/57)

Posted on July 14, 2022 by Mat Brewster

Erwin Lehn Orchestra with Miles Davis
December 18, 1957 (6 items; TT = 13:27)
Beethovensaal, Stuttgart (Germany)
S¸ddeutscher Rundfunk (SDR) TV broadcast (B-)

Miles Davis (tpt); Horst Jankowski (p); Peter Witte (b); Hermann Mutschler (d)

1 Yesterdays (J. Kern-O. Harbach) 2:36
Splice in Davis solo at 0:50

2 ‘Round Midnight (B. Hanighen-C. Williams-T. Monk) 4:45

3 Walkin’ (rehearsal) (R. Carpenter) 0:55
With voiceover: Unknown announcer (0:06-0:21), RenÈ Urtreger’s wife talking about Davis’s 1957 visit to Europe (0:21-0:55)

4 Walkin’ (fragment) (R. Carpenter) 1:56
With voiceover: Mrs. Urtreger continues (1:35-1:56)

5 Walkin’ (fragment) (R. Carpenter) 0:58
With voiceover: Unknown announcer (0:53-0:58)

6 Walkin’ (incomplete) (R. Carpenter) 2:17

Present here are 1,2 and 6

1 Yesterdays
CD: Jazz Unlimited JUCD 2050, Storyville STA 130467
2 ‘Round Midnight
3 Walkin’ (rehearsal)
Video: Treffpunkt Jazz
4 Walkin’ (fragment)
5 Walkin’ (fragment)
6 Walkin’ (incomplete)

This concert was scheduled at the end of Davis’s European sojourn. It was broadcast on SDR-TV’s Treffpunkt Jazz. There is a lot of overlap among the fragments of “Walkin'” listed above. None is close to complete, and even when pieced together we have just an opening chorus and some of Davis’s solo.

Listed in the SWR Stuttgart archives are the following titles:

Probe (rehearsal) (Davis, Jankowski + Erwin Lehn Orchestra) (5:55)
Tune Up (Davis + Jankowski Trio) (3:35)
But Not for Me (Davis + Jankowski Trio) (3:00)
Yesterdays (Davis + Jankowski Trio) (2:30)
Bags’ Groove (Davis + Jankowski Trio) (3:15)
‘Round Midnight (Davis + Orchestra) (4:41)
Walkin’ (Davis + Orchestra) (2:53)
My Funny Valentine (Davis + Orchestra) (2:45)

Several of these titles are lost. Additional titles were performed by the S¸dfunk-Tanzorchester conducted by Erwin Lehn, and the Johannes Rediske Quintet with Ingrid Werner (voc).

Davis returned to the U.S. in late December, and a sextet with Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Garland, Chambers, and Jones began a two-week engagement at Birdland (January 2-15, 1958).

Thanks to Alexander Keth for the details of what’s in the Stuttgart archive.

Edited by Rooster_Ties