Gerald Wilson

Jazz

I recently had the amazing chance to see this man locally. He didn't play, but he conducted the universities big bands on some of his compositions.

Does anyone have any good rec's to make on his albums, compositions, or anything else they can think of? What are the opinions here of his stuff?

Recommendations - Nearly anything you can find in print.

I would start with his MAMA Cd's from the mid-late '90's - Theme for Monterey, and State Street Suite - the record company is gone, but you still see the CD's for sale. Grab 'em quick, though.

If you like those then go to the Moasic set - absolutely fabulous music (aside from a few mediocre pop tunes thrown in, but don't let that deter you, the rest is great)

The recent New York, New Sound CD which I like a lot, though some people are not crazy about the sound (and I'll admit it's not as good as the Mama CD's, but still OK IMHO).

So start with the MAMA's.

In regards to his Pacific Jazz material, I'd recommend you try to find "Moment of Truth" & "Portraits" if you're not going to buy the Mosaic. Not your typical big-band stuff in that it isn't complex. He allows his band members plenty of room to solo, and the groove is mellow.

Both discs are OOP and hard to find, but I did see "Moment of Truth" at one of my local used stores the other day. If you really do want it, maybe I could pick it up for you and we can work out a trade or something.

I'd also recommend the box set. I bought it as soon as it came out (and I usually wait for things to start "running low").

If that's too pricey, I'd try to find a reissue of his album PORTRAITS. The MAMA CDs that John recommended are good too. I haven't heard his latest CD, so I'm no help there.

Also, the Carmell Jones Mosaic Select has some stuff with Gerald Wilson too, and it's an enjoyable set.

here's another question for you fellas. Now, not having any money hasn't so far done anything great for my music collection, so you can understand why I usually skip past the box sets (it only make me want them more! :D ).

But, on this site I have seen much talk about the mosaics. Are these sets in stores or online exclusively? Do I have to go to a jazz music speakeasy and say the secret password to even get a look?

P.S. - Underground, I thank you for the really nice offer, but see my money situation above! Plus, I KNOW I don't have anything in my collection that you guys don't already own or know about (very small collection).

Mosaics can be bought at www.mosaicrecords.com. Some stores also carry them. Sam The Record Man in Toronto, for example, has all the in-print Mosaics, but sells them at 100 percent mark-up.

Seeing as your financial situation isn't so great, maybe someone on the board would be willing to make you CD-R copies of the Mosaic.

Anyone!?!?! :unsure:

I dig his early recordings from the 1940's, just after he left Lunceford to stay in California and start his own band. There is a first volume on Classics that I enjoy very much, more is hopefully to come. This is another arranger - like Gil Evans - who grew up at the tail end of the swing era but went on to create real modern stuff - amazing.

I hear what you say about your financial situation, but I must agree with several posters, go with the Mosaic if you can beg, borrow or steal...I took a chance on this , the first Mosaic I bought that I knew nothing about prior to purchase and ,Boy, was I happy that I took the plunge. It is (mostly) magnificent, so good that I rarely get past the first CD, because I press the repeat button...

• 1 year later...

Just got a copy of "In My Time"

h03446d4ziy.jpg

Oh, MAN......the opening cut made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end! :excited:

This is an amazing set of music. And from a guy his age (88!) it's even MORE astounding. RUN (don't walk) to pick this up. You won't be disappointed - I'm not.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a copy of "In My Time"

h03446d4ziy.jpg

Oh, MAN......the opening cut made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end! :excited:

This is an amazing set of music. And from a guy his age (88!) it's even MORE astounding. RUN (don't walk) to pick this up. You won't be disappointed - I'm not.

....as it does Gerald's :P

• 2 years later...

I know there is a lot of respect for Gerald Wilson, but I do wonder if/when his skills as a composer began to degrade. That's pretty controversial, so let me explain. I think his individual pieces are still pretty interesting, but he has no idea of how they should fit into a large suite and he ends up repeating himself ad nauseum to the point where I do feel nausea. I've been listening to Monterey Moods, and he plays 7 variations of the same theme for roughly 50 minutes. My ears are just exhausted and I had to stop. This was a very similar experience to his concert at the Chicago Jazz Fest where they did about 7 or 8 variations of his new theme for Chicago. 5 would have been amazing and left us wanting more, by 7 or 8 I just wanted to leave the park. I know his earlier albums aren't constructed this way (or not the ones I've seen) so how did this come about? Does he just need a good editor to tell him less is almost always more?

I know there is a lot of respect for Gerald Wilson, but I do wonder if/when his skills as a composer began to degrade. That's pretty controversial, so let me explain. I think his individual pieces are still pretty interesting, but he has no idea of how they should fit into a large suite and he ends up repeating himself ad nauseum to the point where I do feel nausea. I've been listening to Monterey Moods, and he plays 7 variations of the same theme for roughly 50 minutes. My ears are just exhausted and I had to stop. This was a very similar experience to his concert at the Chicago Jazz Fest where they did about 7 or 8 variations of his new theme for Chicago. 5 would have been amazing and left us wanting more, by 7 or 8 I just wanted to leave the park. I know his earlier albums aren't constructed this way (or not the ones I've seen) so how did this come about? Does he just need a good editor to tell him less is almost always more?

That's the risk inherent in a "suite". I'm with you on the Monterrey thing, too much of a good thing. But at least it is a good thing.

FWIW, I don't think that Wilson was ever that strong a "composer" per se. It's his arranging that carries the day. His own material, in terms of melodies, etc. is actually nothing particularly "heavy", and is actually somewhat limited in terms of breadth and scope. His arrangements of those materials, though, make up for all of that.

Since Nobody's Mentioned It Dept.

My favorite single LP from the Mosaic box is the last one Wilson recorded for World Pacific, 'Eternal Equinox'.

It's seriously hip shit from June, 1969, especially when you've got George Duke, Paul Humphrey, Jean-Luc Ponty, Harold Land, Hadley Caliman, Bobby Hutcherson, and Richard 'Groove' Holmes on board.

With the exception of 'Aquarius' from 'Hair' (which is just cool enough) there's no concession to hit pop tunes. Most of the track were written by Wilson and they all groove. Caveat: one track not written by Wilson, the 3-minute 'Baby, Baby Don't Cry' is bewildering and will conk your head when you hear the vocal. (Those with the Mosaic set are probably in the habit of reaching for their remotes.)