jazzbo

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, miles65 said:

Miraculously my set arrived without VAT or import duties. 

You may be in for an unpleasant surprise: if the set was shipped by FedEx they will send you a VAT invoice separately, usually within one or two weeks of delivery. Note that only VAT (21% in the Netherlands) and a handling fee wiil be due, no import duties, CDs are exempt from import duties in the EU.

45 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like the Belgian TYQmusic or jazzmessengers might be the way to go for future sets.

TYQMusic's prices for Mosaic sets are usually lower than Jazz Messengers'.

7 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

You may be in for an unpleasant surprise: if the set was shipped by FedEx they will send you a VAT invoice separately, usually within one or two weeks of delivery. Note that only VAT (21% in the Netherlands) and a handling fee wiil be due, no import duties, CDs are exempt from import duties in the EU.

Well, I guess anyone in Europe (or indeed anywhere outside the US) who buys this set is going to be financially fleeced whichever option they choose. Such is life. The variable is whether you get the set this year or some (currently) indeterminate time next year.

Edited by sidewinder

Gotta admit that I started with disc 4-- the Timme recordings. They're great.  I'm presuming he used 33 1/3 recording discs.   Was the big breakthrough that Columbia made later the use of a micro-groove?  Obviously 33 1/3 had been used earlier (e.g the Ellington "stereo" recordings). 

5 hours ago, medjuck said:

Gotta admit that I started with disc 4-- the Timme recordings. They're great.  I'm presuming he used 33 1/3 recording discs.   Was the big breakthrough that Columbia made later the use of a micro-groove?  Obviously 33 1/3 had been used earlier (e.g the Ellington "stereo" recordings). 

The Timme recordings (including the two Three Deuces live tracks) are indeed the "icing on the cake" in this set IMHO - the tracks are long (ranging from 5 to 18 mins) giving Don plenty of solo time. SQ is average to excellent but Don's tenor shines through - it's superb.

55 minutes of Monk over 6 long tracks

My only minor issue is, as with the Chu Berry set, only selected tracks (in many cases) from a session are included - some (not all) of the incomplete sessions would have been better served if all of the tracks were included even though Byas was not prominent/soloing.

Edited by romualdo

Hey gang, just a quick note about several discrepancies between Mosaic’s labeling for sessions in the booklet and the jewel case/insert liner session labels. C24 Earl Bostic on pg 27 is labeled as A11 on the jewel case and in the larger booklet’s discography. There are then duplicate A12 session labels on pg 27-28. The first is correct, and the second should be A13, as listed on the jewel case and in the booklet discography.

Fortunately all of Loren’s notes seem to be there! I was just a bit confused when I went to read his comments on these sessions and thought I’d try to offer a little clarification. Man, what an amazing set thus far! 

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Hey gang, just a quick note about several discrepancies between Mosaic’s labeling for sessions in the booklet and the jewel case/insert liner session labels. C24 Earl Bostic on pg 27 is labeled as A11 on the jewel case and in the larger booklet’s discography. There are then duplicate A12 session labels on pg 27-28. The first is correct, and the second should be A13, as listed on the jewel case and in the booklet discography.

Fortunately all of Loren’s notes seem to be there! I was just a bit confused when I went to read his comments on these sessions and thought I’d try to offer a little clarification. Man, what an amazing set thus far! 

The other error I've detected is track #5 on disc 7

Sometimes I'm Happy (15/7/45, WNEW Radio Broadcast, Sunday Afternoon Swing Club, NYC - Hathaway, Ann vo acc by DB with Froeba, Frank & His Boys) - it's listed as being on the recent Storyville CD "Timme's Treasures" - it's certainly not on my copy. Actually some of the information on that CD is incorrect & has been revised for the Mosaic set.

On 12/15/2023 at 7:16 PM, miles65 said:

Miraculously my set arrived without VAT or import duties. 

I'm holding my breath. I wasn't charged duty either but I've known to receive these charges later. It's only ever happened when Mosaics have arrived by courier services. I noted that  the full value of the set was declared on mine unlike all previous Mosaic shipments over the past thirty years....

The music is superb and I'm only on Disc One. A real triumph of set by Mosaic.

8 minutes ago, Fred said:

Just purchased. 208,41 euros shipped to Italy

Result !

9 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I'm holding my breath. I wasn't charged duty either but I've known to receive these charges later. It's only ever happened when Mosaics have arrived by courier services. I noted that  the full value of the set was declared on mine unlike all previous Mosaic shipments over the past thirty years....

The music is superb and I'm only on Disc One. A real triumph of set by Mosaic.

I'm in the same boat.

Holding back on opening up the box until Xmas !

Edited by sidewinder

The 3 tracks Don Byas Slam Stewart are on the CD Giants of the tenor sax Ben Webster/Don Byas

Commodore CCD 7005. These recordings were stangely missing in my collection. I found a cheap copy at discogs. https://www.discogs.com/release/5977955-Ben-Webster-Don-Byas-Giants-Of-The-Tenor-Sax/image/SW1hZ2U6MTM4Njc3ODg=

Thanks.  I just ordered it.  I bought a bunch of the Commodore cds at reduced prices when I had an office on the Universal lot but unfortunately didn't buy this one.  (Though  I'm not sure  this  was part of that series. ) Also I think I did find I Got Rhythm on Spotify--  I'm not sure because Spotify gives so little information but it is Byas and Slam and there's applause at the end.

Edited by medjuck

8 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Did you find a way to avoid paying Spanish VAT? 

I am afraid I was too optimistic. 😔

The package arrived yesterday, with a notice to pay VAT under a very odd procedure: the guy from FedEx left a bank current account number (without any bank account holder reference), written by hand on a piece of paper, so that I can make a bank transfer of €40-something to pay VAT. He also provided a phone number to send the bank transfer document via WhatsApp.

I wasn't at home when the parcel arrived, so I could not make any of the obvious questions. If I had not received the parcel with the set as well (still unopened from my side), I would have thought this was scam.

Edited by EKE BBB