BFT 239 Discussion Thread

Dan Gould

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, back for the rest 

@Rooster_Ties this sounds a lot like a Miles 70s band. Like it’s from one of those complete sets or something…hmmmm. I dig it though I can’t place it…

@sidewinder Is this an Ian Carr track? Or possibly related? I like the rhythm section and really the whole tune. 

@webbcity Jazz Messengers-ish in the beginning but that’s not my guess. Sounds more current. Bass and drums are laying it down. Wish I could make an educated guess on that trumpet…sounds familiar. Nice tune 👍

30 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Nope.

OK, listening again and I think that's John Taylor. And then it would be Ron Matthewson perhaps.  I didn't get that recent Jazz In Britain but I bet you did...

Edited by mjazzg

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

OK, listening again and I think that's John Taylor. And then it would be Ron Matthewson perhaps.  I didn't get thet recent Jazz In Britain but I bet you did...

Correct. The drummer is... (hint - a 'Tony' but not the one Jsngry had in mind !)

Edited by sidewinder

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

@Dan Gould Oh geez, I should know this chart, pretty sure we got hold of it in my lab/rehearsal band days...not sure if this is the original version or not, but it comes closer to it than those bands did! :g Alto is for real, for real. Electric bass gives it a more real blues "sound". The band itself is ok, but maybe could have used more air in the recorded sound, I dislike that claustrophobic sound on any record, but especially a big band. I wish I could remember the name of the chart, something to do with a bag or a sack or grease or something "of blues". I'll take it for the alto playing, whoever it is.

Alto is the attraction for sure.

Confused by your mention of the chart and a composition that is close to the actual title, because the LP gives leadership credit on all compositions and arrangements. And this would be after your lab/rehearsal band days.

Hopefully the alto can be named in the next 28 days ... the group is surely less well-known.

13 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Alto is the attraction for sure.

Confused by your mention of the chart and a composition that is close to the actual title, because the LP gives leadership credit on all compositions and arrangements. And this would be after your lab/rehearsal band days.

Hopefully the alto can be named in the next 28 days ... the group is surely less well-known.

Chris Woods?

9 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Correct.

Too easy for someone living in this country !

All those Kenny Wheeler gigs I went to stood me in good stead for this

My UK slection has also been ID'd, but not by another UK resident

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

OK, listening again and I think that's John Taylor. And then it would be Ron Matthewson perhaps.  I didn't get that recent Jazz In Britain but I bet you did...

Yeah, definitely John Taylor, who really has a touch on electric piano. I somehow forgot to mention that above, even though it's the only real clue I had.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Correct.

Too easy for someone living in this country !

Oh good grief, I own the (fairly recently acquired) album...a few hours ago I pulled it off the shelf and thought of checking the tracks while at home (now at work), but didn't follow through. 🙄

20 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Eric - First thought was Dolphy, but I'm thinking Jackie McLean

Neither of those guys, especially get the Dolphy guess though.

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

@Eric now this is where I'm comfortable.  I feel I should be able to ID the sax player but I can't at the moment. I'm guessing a late 80s into 90s possibly Black Saint but it could be a more contemporary recording influenced by then. Sax player is driving me mad.  I really like this and will hope I own it...***1/2

Thanks for your comments.  Yes, owned this myself for some time, maybe 20 years and always found it earnest and delightful!  Glad I found a home for it in this BFT!

6 hours ago, felser said:

@Eric – Alto listened to those early Ornette albums, and is my favorite part of the cut.  Piano is lost on me, though it’s probably a name I would consider favorably.   Not getting with the drumming at all.  Reminds me of some of the early Cecil Taylor with Jimmy Lyons and Sunny Murray, except too short and not intense enough.  I like the bass player ***

Analysis makes sense.  One clue - classic case of the local guy who never left home, same for his sidemen.  No recollection of how I discovered this, maybe a review or from a board member, albeit some time ago if so!  😁

@Big Al I know this, probably have it.  I like the arrangement, very '60's bachelor pad.  Weirdly, reminds me of Gil Evans.

@Dan Gould Hank Crawford?

@danasgoodstuff Spacy.  The stereo separation of the piano (pianos?) is interesting.  Sounds a little like Abdullah Ibrahim or Keith Jarrett.

@Dub Modal Early Savoy or (maybe) Dial or Prestige.  JJ?  "After You've Gone" contrafact.  Good unison playing at the end.

@Eric Sounds like Anthony Braxton or Oliver Lake.  Actually, can't be Braxton, because he's leaving space for others to solo.  Not my cup of bliss.

@mjazzg Nice groove, becomes almost hypnotic.  Has a little "jungle jazz" vibe, like you might hear in Starbucks about 20 years ago.  Bass + cello?  I like it.

@randyhersom Once I ID'd Rahsaan, it was easy.  Fly Me To The Moon from Roy Haynes's Out Of The Afternoon.

@Rooster_Ties I hear the influence of Miles's second quintet.  Again, not my thing.

@sidewinder Wayne?  Herbie?  Again, not my thing.

@webbcity Messengers with Freddie vibe.  I don't recognize the alto or tenor.  I do like the tenor, also the pianist.  Curious to know who this is.

Great work, y'all!

7 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Can I ask y’all what makes this sound west coast btw? I’m always trying to train my ears on this stuff and just want to know what y’all picked up on in that regard. 

🍻

For me, it's tone (instrumental, not recorded) and time (smoother). That and the more or less obvious presences of Pepper and Cooper).

But before the soloists started, I was trying to connect it somehow with this:

And....no. 

11 hours ago, mjzee said:

l Early Savoy

Yes! Pepper and Cooper on Savoy. This will be sleuthed soon. Good ears man 

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

or me, it's tone (instrumental, not recorded) and time (smoother). That and the more or less obvious presences of Pepper and Cooper).

Nice. Thank you