Happy 93rd Birthday William Shatner

2 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

He’s going to be here in Bloomington on Eclipse Day. (We’re right smack in the middle of the path of totality.)

Well that will be pretty neat for you.

I think the closest I got to totality was in the summer of 1984 when I was a freshman at FSU satisfying the "you must attend one summer semester" requirement.

The only time I ever witnessed totality was at the Stonehenge circle in 1999/2000. Actually wasn't quite totality in clouded conditions but the sky went dark, resident crows stopped their bird noise and the atmosphere over Salisbury Plain was incredible ! 

Edited by sidewinder

On 3/25/2024 at 6:36 AM, gmonahan said:

Happy birthday, Mr. Shatner! While I am a hopelessly committed Trekker, I still think his best work was with James Spader on "Boston Legal"!

my fav Shatner (happy birthday by the way) would have to be the Twilight Zone episode (1963) "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet"

Edited by romualdo

On 3/27/2024 at 5:58 AM, romualdo said:

my fav Shatner (happy birthday by the way) would have to be the Twilight Zone episode (1963) "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet"

Mine too.  Very poignant, you end up really caring about the guy.  Only downside is that the monster on the wing looks like a giant muppet!

What about his great performance in "The Intruder"(1962), the only serious (non-exploitation) movie that Roger Corman ever made:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055019/?ref_=nm_flmg_t_215_act

And then there was this one, just before he got the call for Star Trek. It was the only film ever made in Esperanto!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059311/?ref_=hm_rvi_tt_i_2

6 hours ago, sgcim said:

What about his great performance in "The Intruder"(1962), the only serious (non-exploitation) movie that Roger Corman ever made:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055019/?ref_=nm_flmg_t_215_act

And then there was this one, just before he got the call for Star Trek. It was the only film ever made in Esperanto!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059311/?ref_=hm_rvi_tt_i_2

Thanks,not familiar with either of those.  The first one looks really good, the second, uh, "interesting", though I'll pass on it.  Would like to see the first one.

On 3/30/2024 at 12:19 AM, felser said:

Just finished watching 'The Intruder'.  Very jarring movie even now, can't imagine how it must have hit viewers in 1963.  Had no idea Shatner had that in him.

Had no idea Corman had that in him, too! After he looked at the balance sheet, he said, "Back to exploitation movies".

On 3/29/2024 at 7:56 PM, JSngry said:

Was the OST on ESP? 

according to Anthony M. Taylor on one of the DVD commentary tracks, the screenplay was written in English and translated to Esperanto. When the sole surviving French print of the film was remastered for release, English language subtitles were created based on the original English language screenplay, not from a translation of the spoken Esperanto dialogue back into English. This results in as strange situation for a foreign language film: discrepancies between the English language subtitles and the spoken dialogue are actually due to mistranslations from English to Esperanto, not vice versa, or else reflect late changes which were not back-ported to the original English language screenplay.
Is that what you meant?
Helpful•23

50 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Here is a great tune in Esperanto.  Take three minutes out of your life and listen.

Probably would have been a big hit if people just bothered to take the time to learn Esperanto. I mean, how hard can it be?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Bernard Stollman was an advocate for Esperanto. 

Maybe that was what the label was named after.

On 3/25/2024 at 6:21 PM, sidewinder said:

The only time I ever witnessed totality was at the Stonehenge circle in 1999/2000. Actually wasn't quite totality in clouded conditions but the sky went dark, resident crows stopped their bird noise and the atmosphere over Salisbury Plain was incredible ! 

I once went through an eclipse in a tent in Zimbabwe. Every other night, I was kept awake / lulled asleep by animal noises: lions prowling, hyenas making love, hippos humping, water bird squarking, etc. When the eclipse happened, around 3am, there was such a complete cessation of noise that I, and everyone else in their separate tents, woke up.