Newport Jazz Festival 70th Anniversary

9 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

WTF is Andre3000? It is the first name mentioned on the Montreal Jazz Festival billing as well. Stupid group names mean music of no interest to me.

i just looked up this clown and he is another useless rapper. Giving top billing to a rapper at a jazz festival is total bs.

Extraordinary post, factually incorrect apart from anything else.

Andre3000 is cool. I'm down. No, it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but nobody is getting hurt in the process and he seems like a genuinely curious, creative dude. Few "star power" artists in this time period are actually able to use the opportunities afforded to them by their celebrity to do something neat that turns people on/out/etc.

14 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

WTF is Andre3000? It is the first name mentioned on the Montreal Jazz Festival billing as well. Stupid group names mean music of no interest to me.

i just looked up this clown and he is another useless rapper. Giving top billing to a rapper at a jazz festival is total bs.

He was half of the group OutKast and has been a highly rated A List personality for about 20 years. OutKast was known for highly creative music that moved beyond hip hop, and Andre 3000 in particular. You might remember their mainstream hit "Hey Ya" from two decades ago.

Currently he is making new age flute music on a flute-shaped synthesiser, with a sort of 'spiritual jazz' brand identity, even if not much musical content. I don't think that his flute music is as good as a Paul Horn record even, but it looks cool and the "jazz" turn of such a significant artist has drawn huge press. His flute record was probably the most talked about improvised album of the last three years. His record has shown up on this forum. So he does make perfect sense as a headliner for a jazz festival.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

He was half of the group OutKast and has been a highly rated A List personality for about 20 years. OutKast was known for highly creative music that moved beyond hip hop, and Andre 3000 in particular. You might remember their mainstream hit "Hey Ya" from two decades ago.

Currently he is making new age flute music on a flute-shaped synthesiser, with a sort of 'spiritual jazz' brand identity, even if not much musical content. I don't think that his flute music is as good as a Paul Horn record even, but it looks cool and the "jazz" turn of such a significant artist has drawn huge press. His flute record was probably the most talked about improvised album of the last three years. His record has shown up on this forum. So he does make perfect sense as a headliner for a jazz festival.

Bleh.... Still very disappointed...

Am I wrong in thinking that George Wein kinda treated Newport differently than some of his other festivals? It seemed to me (and maybe I'm just being revisionist and nostaglic) that even though George (esp in his later years) had non-jazz headliners... it was never like it is now... It's gone way far away. I thought having Common was bad a few years ago.. this lineup looks even less jazz.

Looks like a pretty healthy lineup to me. A good number of younger artists featured to illustrate that Jazz is an evolving and vital art form.

Some non-Jazz artists to pull in the curious who may then connect with some of the Jazz acts thereby helping to maintain and increase the genre's audience.

Some Jazz adjacent artists who use Jazz to inform their music, showing the influence of the genre we all love.

Nice all round programming by McBride I'd say

On 4/9/2024 at 2:44 PM, Ken Dryden said:

George Wein included non-jazz acts because of the bottom line, he said so in more than one article and I think his autobiography.

I do find it puzzling as to why the non jazz acts are often the first 8 to 10 acts billed for what is supposed to be a jazz festival. I feel like the Jazz Masters on the bill deserve better, having somebody like Bruce Springsteen billed above Duke Ellington is ridiculous (though Duke would have not shown up had that happened).

Duke was pissed when Louis Jordan was billed above him. But he did show up. 

I went to the second weekend of the New Orleans Jazzfest in both '90 and '91.  Jazz fans were objecting to the non-jazz acts even then.

However, there was one stage that was 100% modern jazz.  If you had no interest in anything else, you could at any time listen to the real deal.

Has anyone ever seen the video of the original New Orleans Jazz Festival? It was booked by Willis Conover and had consistent high quality acts. There were also some excerpts issued on five or so Scotti Bros. CDs. I've got all of them.

Andre 3000 is also the first one mentioned on the Montreal Jazz Festival bill. Sorry, it would be a total waste of time, like listening to electrified Yanni.

I guess I should have gone to Newport when I was younger when there wasn't so much non-jazz filler.

6 hours ago, medjuck said:

Duke was pissed when Louis Jordan was billed above him. But he did show up. 

When was that, and where?

I love Louis Jordan, but his mass popularity was far behind him by the time of the modern jazz festivals.

Was it something that Johnny Otis was booking? Didn't Jordan and Otis do business together for a minute or two in the late 60s?

9 hours ago, GA Russell said:

I went to the second weekend of the New Orleans Jazzfest in both '90 and '91.  Jazz fans were objecting to the non-jazz acts even then.

However, there was one stage that was 100% modern jazz.  If you had no interest in anything else, you could at any time listen to the real deal.

The Festival has not fundamentally changed.  There  is still the Jazz Tent, which is all Modern Jazz, with ten to twelve National/International headliners spread out over the course of the festival (this year including Kenny Barron, Charles Lloyd, Lakecia Benjamin, Terence Blanchard, Nicholas Payton,  Samara Joy, Stephon Harris, Legacy of Wayne Shorter, and Amina Figarova). There is also Economy Hall, which is all New Orleans traditional jazz. There is a Blues stage, a Gospel stage, a World music stage (this year they have three African bands and twenty (!) bands from Columbia), a stage that is mostly modern brass bands, a stage that is mostly zydeco, an interview stage (some jazz artists), a diverse obscure music stage including some jazz (Lagniappe Stage). Then three large stages that feature (though not exclusively) pop bands.  The latter three are very easy to ignore, as I do. (The exception is the egomaniacal Rolling Stones, who this year are appearing and requiring all other stages to shut down when they perform.) You only need one stage at a time.

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

I love Louis Jordan, but his mass popularity was far behind him by the time of the modern jazz festivals.

Was it something that Johnny Otis was booking? Didn't Jordan and Otis do business together for a minute or two in the late 60s?

Mel Torme wrote in his autobiography about an agent telling him that his being billed above Duke Ellington wasn't a problem. But when Duke found out, only his band played the first few nights until Mel finally relented and gave Duke top billing. Artists like Duke Ellington earned top billing on every engagement and to see artists billed at the top of a jazz festival that have nothing to do with jazz above NEA Jazz Masters is beyond pathetic. 

I imagine these people would book Kenny G at the top of the billing without hesitation. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

It was a club booking: The Zanzibar, 1945.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't understand why they couldn't have thrown us a bone with some well-known jazz like Pat Metheny, Hiromi, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Gregory Porter, Brad Mehldau, Joshua Redman, Benny Green, The Cookers, Eric Alexander, Diana Krall, Regina Carter, Wadada Leo Smith, Maria Schneider, etc. There are SO many acts they could have booked... but just so disappointing. I don't even want to think about what they're going to do for their 75th anniversary...

On 4/10/2024 at 12:34 PM, mjazzg said:

Looks like a pretty healthy lineup to me. A good number of younger artists featured to illustrate that Jazz is an evolving and vital art form.

Some non-Jazz artists to pull in the curious who may then connect with some of the Jazz acts thereby helping to maintain and increase the genre's audience.

Some Jazz adjacent artists who use Jazz to inform their music, showing the influence of the genre we all love.

Nice all round programming by McBride I'd say

Completely agree with this.
I've heard nearly all of these people in that festival lineup
and have played about 80-85% of them on my show and,
really, a good percentage of them do represent an ever-evolving
artform that's known as "jazz" ... well, at least in the 21st Century.