ghost of miles Posted July 5 Posted July 5 (edited) I can’t seem to copy and paste Ricky Riccardi’s Instagram post, so here’s the link instead: Louis Armstrong in NY 1924-25 Six CDs, shipping in August. Nice bookend to Archeophone’s forthcoming Louis in Chicago set. Full post from Ricky’s Facebook page: I promised breaking news on yesterday’s WKCR Louis Armstrong Birthday Broadcast and for those who missed it, here it is! Coming soon (in the next month), Mosaic Records will be putting out a six-CD boxed set of every track Louis Armstrong recorded in New York City between October 1924 and November 1925! Name ‘em, they’re there: Fletcher Henderson, Bessie Smith, Maggie Jones, Clarence Williams, Sidney Bechet, Ma Rainey, Lil Armstrong, Eva Taylor…the list goes on! I’m usually a big blabbermouth about the production of these sets, but I’ve been unusually tight-lipped about this one as the last Pops set I did for Mosaic had so many delays, I kept talking about it and years kept passing us by. Not this time—we’ve been working on it since September and it’s just about ready to go! We assembled a dream team for this one consisting of Scott Wenzel, David Sager, Doug Benson, and myself plus a network of some of the most respected 78 collectors on the planet. Doug did an incredible job with the sound restoration, David wrote a wonderful introductory essay, I contributed 30,000 words of track-by-track analysis, and Scott oversaw everything with a steady, encouraging hand. A pre-order link isn’t up yet but it will be ready any day now, and the set should be shipped in August. If you’re in New Orleans next month, I’ll be joining Scott and David for a panel about the making of the set at Satchmo Summerfest—will be fun! This is the third Armstrong set I’ve co-produced for Mosaic in the last 12 years and I don’t take it for granted for a second as I’ve been such a fan and supporter of the label since high school. This is the also their first set of public domain material and I think it’s going to be a harbinger of some exciting things to come in the years ahead. (And for my younger followers, it will not be in streaming or anything like that so invest in a CD player if you want to hear it!) More to come when it’s officially official but for now it’s official enough—plan accordingly! Pops is Tops! #louisarmstrong #mosaicrecords Edited July 5 by ghost of miles Quote
Chanders Posted July 5 Posted July 5 Let’s hear it for the public domain 😃. This raises a lot of questions about what Mosaic might be able to do as more and more jazz passes the century mark. Quote
ghost of miles Posted July 5 Author Posted July 5 50 minutes ago, Chanders said: Let’s hear it for the public domain 😃. This raises a lot of questions about what Mosaic might be able to do as more and more jazz passes the century mark. Indeed! I know of at least one other long-mulled set that’s now within striking distance, thanks to public domain. Quote
gmonahan Posted July 5 Posted July 5 1 hour ago, ghost of miles said: Indeed! I know of at least one other long-mulled set that’s now within striking distance, thanks to public domain. Well, don't be coy--what is it?! Quote
miles65 Posted July 5 Posted July 5 1 hour ago, ghost of miles said: Indeed! I know of at least one other long-mulled set that’s now within striking distance, thanks to public domain. i hope is starts with a D... Quote
gmonahan Posted July 5 Posted July 5 15 minutes ago, miles65 said: i hope is starts with a D... And includes a lot of recordings originally issued on Okeh...... Quote
John L Posted July 7 Posted July 7 I've purchased this music so many different times and thought that I would never be purchasing it again. But I was wrong. I am in on this! Quote
SwingItTrev Posted July 7 Posted July 7 On 7/6/2026 at 7:19 AM, gmonahan said: And includes a lot of recordings originally issued on Okeh...... I'm here for it! But in the meantime - Yay for more early Mosaic sets! Quote
mesfen Posted July 25 Posted July 25 How will this set compare to the French Integrale The Complete Louis Armstrong? The first 3 vols covers the material that the new mosaic will contain; these sound incredible. Don’t know what tricks Mosaic has up their sleeves to enhance the audio better than these French selections Quote
miles65 Posted July 25 Posted July 25 2 hours ago, mesfen said: How will this set compare to the French Integrale The Complete Louis Armstrong? The first 3 vols covers the material that the new mosaic will contain; these sound incredible. Don’t know what tricks Mosaic has up their sleeves to enhance the audio better than these French selections The sound on Mosaic will be great. The Frémeaux sets deletes a number of alternate takes. Henderson tracks where Louis does not solo are omitted. From a number of tracks only Louis' solos are retained. It's not that Intégrale at all. Quote
Big Beat Steve Posted July 25 Posted July 25 2 hours ago, miles65 said: From a number of tracks only Louis' solos are retained. It's not that Intégrale at all. Seriously? That's a no-go for any serious reissue. I am surprised that Frémeaux resorted to such tampering. Quote
EKE BBB Posted July 25 Posted July 25 (edited) I have to revisit my Frémeaux Integrale Louis Armstrong discs... I own all 15 of them but did not remember such omissions... In any case, I'm in for the new Mosaic. I will buy Armstrong early recording as many times as a decent reissue is released... and no doubt this Mosaic will be... Edited July 25 by EKE BBB Quote
miles65 Posted July 25 Posted July 25 There are 16 tracks by Henderson missing. How come you do me like you do? takes 2 and 3 are fragments only. There are 11 tacks missing as accompanist of blues singers. Quote
Stompin at the Savoy Posted July 27 Posted July 27 The Complete Louis Armstrong In New York 1924-1925 is now up for pre-order on the Mosaic site! Ships end of August. I'm in. Quote
jazzbo Posted July 27 Posted July 27 (edited) Thanks for the headsup. I'm in. Edited July 27 by jazzbo Quote
jazzbo Posted July 27 Posted July 27 (edited) Wow "We also took an unprecedented step of replacing our signature Mosaic brochure — often the most complete, accurate, historical, and analytical reporting ever done on the music — with an honest-to-goodness book." " We also took an unprecedented step of replacing our signature Mosaic brochure — often the most complete, accurate, historical, and analytical reporting ever done on the music — with an honest-to-goodness book. Written by Grammy winner Ricky Riccardi and Dave Sager, it contains more than 20 photos and approximately 42,000 words. When we considered everything that could be written about Armstrong and this era, we couldn’t find anything we felt comfortable leaving out of the record. Written by Grammy winner Ricky Riccardi and Dave Sager, it contains more than 20 photos and approximately 42,000 words. When we considered everything that could be written about Armstrong and this era, we couldn’t find anything we felt comfortable leaving out of the record." Edited July 27 by jazzbo Quote
Stompin at the Savoy Posted July 27 Posted July 27 (edited) I'm a little surprised that they are only producing 2500 of these. I guess they don't expect them to sell well? Edited July 27 by Stompin at the Savoy Quote
jazzbo Posted July 27 Posted July 27 (edited) As it's not a licensed product they could theoretically produce more at a later date if they deem it a worthy prospect and the "book" authors wish. I suspect they estimate this as a good number though, assuming many Armstrong "nuts" have passed and most Armstrong fans have versions of many of these already. Edited July 27 by jazzbo Quote
romualdo Posted July 27 Posted July 27 (edited) I'm in even though I already have much of this material, including the John RT Davies transferred Forte 3CD Fletcher/Louis set Just went to order & WTF!! Shipping to Queensland (Australia) is now $100 whilst all the other states are only $50. Why are they discriminating one state & lumping us in with China & South Africa Edited July 27 by romualdo Quote
mikeweil Posted July 27 Posted July 27 I'm seriously tempted as I have very little of his early sideman dates. Quote
Stompin at the Savoy Posted July 27 Posted July 27 I guess I have most of the Fletcher Henderson material, none of it in particularly great sound though. Some of the other stuff pulls in singers I might never have collected. Overall I expect this to be a great haul and am stoked about the book even though it pushes up the price a bit. Early Louis Armstrong! He is special. Quote
EKE BBB Posted July 27 Posted July 27 6 hours ago, jazzbo said: Thanks for the headsup. I'm in. I'm in as well! 😀 Quote
Chanders Posted July 27 Posted July 27 (edited) Fantastic. Can't wait. Do any European buyers know how Mosaic in Europe is working these days? I've not pre-ordered a set since I left the US and I have seen nearly all the new releases eventually show up at TYQ or JazzMessengers ... is that to be expected with all new sets? Edited July 27 by Chanders Quote
miles65 Posted July 27 Posted July 27 3 hours ago, Chanders said: Fantastic. Can't wait. Do any European buyers know how Mosaic in Europe is working these days? I've not pre-ordered a set since I left the US and I have seen nearly all the new releases eventually show up at TYQ or JazzMessengers ... is that to be expected with all new sets? I live in the Netherlands and just ordered trough TYQ. I have good experiences with them. They and JazzMessengers are recommended by Mosaic. Quote
Chuck Nessa Posted July 27 Posted July 27 On 7/25/2026 at 7:55 AM, miles65 said: There are 16 tracks by Henderson missing. How come you do me like you do? takes 2 and 3 are fragments only. There are 11 tacks missing as accompanist of blues singers. I think they are all in this 3 cd set Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.