miles65 Posted July 27 Posted July 27 11 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said: I think they are all in this 3 cd set Except for one take of Naughty Man wich was discovered later and included on the Jazz Oracle CD 'A gift from the president'. Quote
romualdo Posted July 27 Posted July 27 (edited) 2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said: I think they are all in this 3 cd set yep, I also did a quick cross check Edited July 27 by romualdo Quote
pglbook Posted July 28 Posted July 28 I just placed my order. I really like the change to a hardcover book. And the listening samples sound excellent. I am looking forward to this, especially as a lot of this music will be new to me. Quote
Chuck Nessa Posted July 28 Posted July 28 A discographical listing would help me make a decision. Quote
miles65 Posted July 28 Posted July 28 1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said: A discographical listing would help me make a decision. `You mean this? The Complete Louis Armstrong In New York 1924-1925 Limited Edition Collection (#286 - 6 CDs) - Quote
Chuck Nessa Posted July 28 Posted July 28 7 hours ago, miles65 said: `You mean this? The Complete Louis Armstrong In New York 1924-1925 Limited Edition Collection (#286 - 6 CDs) - Thanks, I missed it. Quote
EKE BBB Posted July 28 Posted July 28 (edited) What do you think about the pricing of this set? It is roughly $25 per CD, clearly above the usual ca. $18. Does the hardcover book justify this increase? Edited July 28 by EKE BBB Quote
miles65 Posted July 28 Posted July 28 41 minutes ago, EKE BBB said: What do you think about the pricing of this set? It is roughly $25 per CD, clearly above the usual ca. $18. Does the hardcover book justify this increase? Not to be funny. But I won't know until I have read the book. Quote
Stompin at the Savoy Posted July 28 Posted July 28 (edited) 49 minutes ago, EKE BBB said: What do you think about the pricing of this set? It is roughly $25 per CD, clearly above the usual ca. $18. Does the hardcover book justify this increase? Yeah, I think it does justify the increase. They are doing a print and binding job of 2500 or so copies. That's expensive to do. Edited July 28 by Stompin at the Savoy Quote
jazzbo Posted July 29 Posted July 29 An interesting exchange from facebook: Christopher Walters · I don’t want to be picky, but I wish somebody would do a conscientious job and reissue some of the lesser known titles that Louis appears on in the 20s. Besides all of the appearances with Nolan Welch, Lily, Del Christian, Seeger Ellis, and others that would be fantastic. I cannot wait to hear how this set sounds! Judging from the audio samples, it’s amazing.  Ricky Riccardi · · Author Christopher Walters It’s all coming, Christopher, just requires a little patience! We’re now in the public domain era so a recording has to be 101 years old before you can reissue it (without label approval…and sadly the labels no longer care). I’m currently working with Archeophone on a set that will include all of Louis’s 1925-1926 accompaniments and there’s already talks to keep going….by 2029, everything Louis recorded through 1928 should be out in freshly restored sets with new notes and great sound. Stay tuned! Quote
gmonahan Posted July 29 Posted July 29 Preordered, of course. I'll be interested to hear how it sounds compared especially to the 3-cd Henderson set I already have. Quote
hbbfam Posted July 29 Posted July 29 If the rest of the set sounds like the samples posted, this will be outstanding. Quote
jazzbo Posted July 29 Posted July 29 Perhaps of interest to some here. . . Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, the Complete Paramount Recordings 1923-1928 https://blackswanrecords.org/ Quote
mikeweil Posted July 29 Posted July 29 45 minutes ago, jazzbo said: Perhaps of interest to some here. . . Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, the Complete Paramount Recordings 1923-1928 https://blackswanrecords.org/ Now that is $ 25.00 per disc as well. Quote
hopkins Posted July 29 Posted July 29 The samples available on Mosaic's website sound good (I compared them to a few versions available on streaming sites). Quote
street singer Posted July 29 Posted July 29 (edited) The decision to go with a hardcover book for this one is interesting. New precedent for Mosaic releases? Or just exclusive to their forthcoming series of Armstrong releases? Also wondering if there well be room in the box for the book, or if it will need to be stored separately. Storing the book separately from the box is going to trigger some collector's OCD tendencies... UPDATED: Just noticed on the Mosaic website: "The 8″ x 11 1/2″ book is packaged in the standard 12″ × 12″ Mosaic Records box and rests securely on a custom-cut foam platform designed to keep it in place during shipping and handling." 👍 Edited July 29 by street singer Quote
mikeweil Posted July 30 Posted July 30 For us Europeans: TYQ Music offers it at pre-order price: https://tyqmusic.eu/product/the-complete-louis-armstrong-in-new-york-1924-1925-limited-edition-collection/?mc_cid=363b851334&mc_eid=fb3887c797 Quote
hopkins Posted July 30 Posted July 30 1 hour ago, mikeweil said: For us Europeans: TYQ Music offers it at pre-order price: https://tyqmusic.eu/product/the-complete-louis-armstrong-in-new-york-1924-1925-limited-edition-collection/?mc_cid=363b851334&mc_eid=fb3887c797 I pre-ordered it from there. Quote
2scoops Posted July 30 Posted July 30 TYQ is a better price than Jazz Messengers, who seem to have lost the plot recently. Their pricing is no longer as reasonable as it used to be and I’ve had a couple of customer service issues too. YMMV however. Quote
Late Posted July 30 Posted July 30 Ordered. The sound samples broke me down + the preorder discount. I'm especially excited about the Fletcher Henderson tracks in improved sound and all together. Quote
RiRiIII Posted July 30 Posted July 30 17 minutes ago, 2scoops said: TYQ is a better price than Jazz Messengers, who seem to have lost the plot recently. Their pricing is no longer as reasonable as it used to be and I’ve had a couple of customer service issues too. YMMV however. On 7/27/2026 at 11:04 PM, miles65 said: I live in the Netherlands and just ordered trough TYQ. I have good experiences with them. They and JazzMessengers are recommended by Mosaic. Indeed. 149 vs 200 EUR. Belgium wins. Quote
miles65 Posted July 30 Posted July 30 22 hours ago, mikeweil said: Now that is $ 25.00 per disc as well. Plus $ 75 shipping to Europe. Quote
hbbfam Posted July 30 Posted July 30 22 hours ago, street singer said: The decision to go with a hardcover book for this one is interesting. New precedent for Mosaic releases? Or just exclusive to their forthcoming series of Armstrong releases? Also wondering if there well be room in the box for the book, or if it will need to be stored separately. Storing the book separately from the box is going to trigger some collector's OCD tendencies... UPDATED: Just noticed on the Mosaic website: "The 8″ x 11 1/2″ book is packaged in the standard 12″ × 12″ Mosaic Records box and rests securely on a custom-cut foam platform designed to keep it in place during shipping and handling." 👍 Are there announced future Armstrong Mosaic releases? Quote
jazzbo Posted July 30 Posted July 30 (edited) Not mentioned, the only mentions from Mosaic of upcoming are those future Non-Armstrong "public domain" sets mentioned above. Ricky Ricardi has noted however that Archeophone Records is planning a second Armstrong set in the near future years. Edited July 30 by jazzbo Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.