All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Sonny Rollins “A Night at the Village Vanguard” 2 cd set Blue Note US 2024 Released today a new version of this material purportedly from a better tape than any before. It does really sound good. Does it sound better than my previous favorite, the Japanese “24 Bit by RVG” complete edition? Maybe, but I love the sound of that one (too).
  3. Ethel Falkroft - Tomorrow's Lovers For Today's Songs!!!!
  4. There never would have been a Moody Blues without Pinder. He did most of their arrangements, he added the mellotron to their sound, without which, they would have been just an ordinary rock band. He was also the only remaining member of the original Moody Blues, who played mainly R&B covers He and Hayward decided to play only original material. My fave song of his was "Dawn Is a Feeling" from the first album. He was essentially their leader, and responsible for getting Hayward in the band. He added some jazz elements to the group. RIP, Mr. Pinder.
  5. The Wikipedia article on George Duvivier refers to a recording I have not found any reference to elsewhere. "Although he spent most of his career as a sideman, he recorded as a leader in 1956 with Martial Solal for Coronet." Coronet seems also as a somewhat unlikely label for such an album, but before making an edit of the article, I'd like to ask the members here whether they recognize this supposed album.
  6. Back around 1995 I was just getting into Mosaic sets. I had bought the big Andrew Hill set and one or two others. I called up Mosaic to order the Serge Chaloff cd set but was told it was sold out. So I ordered the Lee Morgan 50's set instead. The other day I came across the Serge Chaloff set for about what it would have cost new and purchased it. It arrived today and I am on the second disk. Really enjoying it!
  7. Agreed. I'd put it right up there with I Need Some Money.
  8. Dr. med. Claus Jacobi, retired clinic chief doctor, alto saxophonist and bandleader has died at 75. R.I.P. Göttinger Tageblatt, Friday, April 26, 2024, p. 12
  9. Today
  10. https://eu.desertsun.com/story/life/history/2023/07/09/mid-century-modern-destroyed-maslon-house-haunts-preservationists-architects/70391384007/
  11. As a native NC'er that title intrigues me quite a bit
  12. More from the same Beethoven set. This time it's LvB's last Piano Sonata, No. 32, Op. 111, performed by Wilhelm Kempff.
  13. Ordered the LP set through my local shop, and looking forward to it.
  14. Paul Bley Gary Peacock Paul Motian "When Will The Blues Leave" (ECM) 2019 .... photography by Catherine Peillon ....
  15. The Afghan Wings „Gentleman At 21“ (Blast First) 1993 …
  16. I'm now listening to Géza Anda's wonderful performance of Beethoven's Diabelli Variations. It's sides 5 & 6 in this 5-LP set: Beethoven Bicentennial Collection: Music for Piano, Vol. VIII (DG, 1971)
  17. Back Cover of : Sonny And Cher „Mama Was A Rock and Roll Singer“ (MCA) 1973 ….
  18. Rough mix from from a session on April 15; I am on tenor, Ray Suhy on guitar. Nick Jozwiak on bass, Shadow Atlas on drums. Very listenable, though it is not final. Working title is Utah Smith I am extremely proud of this performance; when jazz players try to be funky (and I have taken some flak here for suggesting this) they usually fall short. Truthfully, they rarely truly understand the old music this is based on. In jazz we like to praise our "elders" without having actually listened to them very much. Utah Smith was an evangelical guitarist, a pioneer of the country/blues style of fusion. Ray Suhy is the best guitarist I have ever heard, can play any and everything. This will be part of a 4 cd set coming out in 2 volumes in early September. It is not too late to get a heavy discount on pre-sale. Just don't tell Justin IV (or is it VI?).
  19. Besides myself, Duke Ellington comes to mind
  20. This LP is mono and I wish it were stereo. It has such a flat sound. Little ambiance, unless you count the reverb added to Elvin Jones' drums in places. It makes it sound like each player is in an isolation booth and when they solo, you only get the mic from that booth.
  1. Load more activity