Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Al

Board Members You've Had the Pleasure of Meeting

53 posts in this topic

I am notoriously shy in real life, but I did once meet a fellow mod back in my AAJ days.  I have seen a few board members in real life, but haven't approached them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

That’s awesome, brother! Do you have a goal weight in mind? What habits have you changed that led to this? 

Goal is to keep going down, slowly but surely, by eating wisely in terms of both content and quantity, and by just not being sedentary. Do SOMETHING everyday, walk, move furniture, pull weeds, just burn more calories than you take in, no need to get all mathy about it, just use your own good sense. I've got a Fitbit that I put on from time to time, just to monitor what is happening when I do whatever I'm doing at the time, to get a feel of what happens when I feel like this, is this what a necessary metabolic event feels like, and learn from that. Not at all unlike practicing scales and stuff . I don't panic over a plateau, embrace it, just do what you need to do to not let it go up from there, and when it seems to be wanting to move, make it move downward until the next plateau arrives. Lather, rinse, repeat.

All-time high was weight 310, about 3 years ago. That was stupid, entirely unnecessary, and totally my own fault. I weighed 250 when I stopped smoking around 10 or so years ago and am aiming to at least get back to that. If I get down to 225, that would be awesome, and if I ever again get down to my wedding weight of 185, I will be The Most Dangerous Man Alive, i tell you true on that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never met anone from this board, but met well over 20 from the erstwhile Jazz Corner forums. Some of them multiple times in multiple cities. 

Some remain very good friends to this day. 

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Goal is to keep going down, slowly but surely, by eating wisely in terms of both content and quantity, and by just not being sedentary. Do SOMETHING everyday, walk, move furniture, pull weeds, just burn more calories than you take in, no need to get all mathy about it, just use your own good sense. I've got a Fitbit that I put on from time to time, just to monitor what is happening when I do whatever I'm doing at the time, to get a feel of what happens when I feel like this, is this what a necessary metabolic event feels like, and learn from that. Not at all unlike practicing scales and stuff . I don't panic over a plateau, embrace it, just do what you need to do to not let it go up from there, and when it seems to be wanting to move, make it move downward until the next plateau arrives. Lather, rinse, repeat.

All-time high was weight 310, about 3 years ago. That was stupid, entirely unnecessary, and totally my own fault. I weighed 250 when I stopped smoking around 10 or so years ago and am aiming to at least get back to that. If I get down to 225, that would be awesome, and if I ever again get down to my wedding weight of 185, I will be The Most Dangerous Man Alive, i tell you true on that!

Sounds like you’re in a great place mentally, and getting there physically. 

I have a small frame, so my max weight was 217 about a decade ago. It was too much for my frame, and my legs were always shot by the end of the day. 

I’m currently clocking in around 180 now, but I have the chosen benefit of working on my feet all day, which really helps because I can be a lazy bastard at home. Like I’ve been all morning today. 

Either way, congrats. Here’s to positive momentum! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As sidewinder/Bob mentioned earlier, we got to meet in Stuttgart many years ago.  Wish I still lived there, for many reasons.  Due to move to Philly area next year though, so I'll take that.  If you make it to this side of the pond we're due for a reconnect, Bob!  Hopefully longer this time as well.

In addition, I've since met Lon, Shawn, Ray, Big Al, David Weiss, and Mike Flanigin.  Good people, all of 'em!  Other than Al's questionable fondness for Styx, of course.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 8:36 AM, BillF said:

Met (all in UK): JohnS, Ghost of Miles, Sidewinder, Head Man, R Davenport, Lark Ascending (come back Lark!)

Called on Skype: Tom 1960 (Maine), John Tapscott (Toronto), Kinuta (Tokyo).

Aggie87's post reminds me that I have twice seen Org member David Weiss play, but have not "met" him. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've met BillF a few times. He did show me a picture of ghost of miles on his phone - does that count? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Lark Ascending, a few times before and after his departure, and Alex Hawkins, a few post gig/set chats, for me. Although it seems I've been in the same concert hall as Sidewinder on more than one occasion

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Met these guys once at a Roscoe Mitchell concert:

554194_596991546978538_1903848911_n.jpg

Also had the pleasure of meeting kh1958 once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

A Lark Ascending, a few times before and after his departure, and Alex Hawkins, a few post gig/set chats, for me. Although it seems I've been in the same concert hall as Sidewinder on more than one occasion

Makes me feel like Zelig. Must have a beer sometime ! :D

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rdavenport said:

I've met BillF a few times. He did show me a picture of ghost of miles on his phone - does that count? 

Sure does!

qzH_WhgT_400x400.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Organissimo play once in Chicago, so that was Jim, Joe and Randy at that time.  Larry Kart was at the concert, and we chatted a bit.

I used to see a fair number of jazz concerts at the Jazz Showcase or Chicago Jazz Fest with sheldonm and sal.  And jazzkrow once or twice.

Met John Litweiler once in Chicago to buy one of his books (and I think I traded him the Ayler Holy Ghost box, since his had been lost in a flood or fire).  It wasn't a one-for-one trade... ;)

Met Van Basten II in Montreal and sold him a jazz or classical set, but I can't recall which one.

Met a board member in Vancouver to sell some CDs.

I think that's it, but I may be missing one or two more chance encounters.

I did see David Weiss and the Cookers play a set in Vancouver, but I think we only PM'ed after the show and didn't meet in person.  I may of course be totally mis-remembering this.

 

Edited by ejp626

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

Saw Organissimo play once in Chicago, so that was Jim, Joe and Randy at that time.  Larry Kart was at the concert, and we chatted a bit.

I used to see a fair number of jazz concerts at the Jazz Showcase or Chicago Jazz Fest with sheldonm and sal.  And jazzkrow once or twice.

Met John Litweiler once in Chicago to buy one of his books (and I think I traded him the Ayler Holy Ghost box, since his had been lost in a flood or fire).  It wasn't a one-for-one trade... ;)

Met Van Basten II in Montreal and sold him a jazz or classical set, but I can't recall which one.

Met a board member in Vancouver to sell some CDs.

I think that's it, but I may be missing one or two more chance encounters.

I did see David Weiss and the Cookers play a set in Vancouver, but I think we only PM'ed after the show and didn't meet in person.  I may of course be totally mis-remembering this.

 

True, you sold me that Ayler box in Chicago.  Thanks for the kind ;).  I hope you're thriving there in Toronto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mjzee said:

Met these guys once at a Roscoe Mitchell concert:

554194_596991546978538_1903848911_n.jpg

Also had the pleasure of meeting kh1958 once.

I recognize Chuck. Who are the other three chaps? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

I recognize Chuck. Who are the other three chaps? 

Joe, Jim and his truly.

charlesp was there that night as well.

 

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I met HutchFan at a Expansions; The Dave Liebman Group concert in Duluth, Georgia. He let me know about this concert through the organissimo board, which was closer and saved a time zone change over the one Liebman had told me about that was coming to Nashville. Not only did we have a great time, but Liebman had the concert recorded and it made up disc 2 of his live CD of the group.

We've gotten to hang out in the Atlanta area a few times, seeing Fred Hersch, Miquel Zenon and Kenny Werner with the GSU Big Band. 

I may have met other board members in passing when I attended IAJE each year between 2000 and 2008, but I wouldn't expect them to remember it, as I can't say for sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had some good discussions with David Weiss over the past couple of years. Met Nessa at the Big Ears Festival earlier this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at the record store, some bro flat out refused to tell me his handle but said im fresh in town visiting and i know u and recognize u from organissimo- looking back on it, it was weird dawg.  If it was one of you step up and let me know so i can put that to bed.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

at the record store, some bro flat out refused to tell me his handle but said im fresh in town visiting and i know u and recognize u from organissimo- looking back on it, it was weird dawg.  If it was one of you step up and let me know so i can put that to bed.       

I am Spartacus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jazz Moose years ago when we lived in the same small town.

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Image result for omg face

Aric - If I ever met you, you'd know. I am not what anyone would call "shy'. :D

At this point, I have to say that I've lost count in the number of posters I've met. There was a time when I had a job that included travel. I met Jazz fans all over the world and I always recommended this place as a great place to talk about Jazz. I imagine several of those people are reading this and saying, "Is that the guy I met who recommended I come here"? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve met Couw (twice), Claude - longtimers will remember them - and etherbored. All great people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I met homefromtheforest at an Evan Parker concert, though it took us months to realize we were both board members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.