True Confessions!

gdogus

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently (but may have had before and traded/sold them) do not have any of the following artists:

Ornette

Electric Miles

lots of pre-1952 jazz

Duke Ellington

Basie

lots of other big band stuff

Stan Kenton

Gerry Mulligan

Dave Brubeck

Fats Navarro

Albert Ayler

AEC (Don't tell Chuck!)

Sun RA

whoa!! oh no!!! I have a misguided idea about your political views based on this fun little thread!!! get him OUTTA HERE!!

:rolleyes:

I find this thread to be very telling.

It tells me we all have diffferent tastes, likes, dislikes, and things we have not yet discovered. Nothing wrong with that!

We have certain likes and dislikes and priorities when it comes to purchasing music that are reflective of who we are as people and how we view the world. Nothing at all wrong with that. It's just insightful is all...sometime predictably so.

So if Person A is lacking in Sun Ra, does that tell you something about the person that's different from Person B, who may not have begun exploring Red Norvo? And tell you something that reflects who they are as people and how they view the world?

edit - and do these assumptions pertain only to people in red and blue states, or world wide?

Edited by Aggie87

So if Person A is lacking in Sun Ra, does that tell you something about the person that's different from Person B, who may not have begun exploring Red Norvo? And tell you something that reflects who they are as people and how they view the world?

edit - and do these assumptions pertain only to people in red and blue states, or world wide?

looks like they pertain only to me!

• 6 months later...

I'm still finding holes I didn't know I had.

Recently found

Hal McKusick - Jazz workshop (can't put my finger on what it is that makes this different from so much other w.coast that I listen to once and then file in the basement, but this has been getting a spin a couple times a week for quite a while)

In a batch of vinyl from Chuck

Leo Smilth - Spirit Catcher

God, what a beautiful album.

As I said before, more holes than time and money, but for me that's the fun of it.

Bill

No Armstrong*

No Ornette*

No Dizzy*

No Bird*

No Nessa records

No Cecil

No Mingus (except Money Jungle)*

No Trane Impulse*

No Dolphy

No Max (except Money Jungle)*

Very little Basie

Only one Bud disc (Time Flies on BN)

My taste in jazz is about as conservative and boring as I am. Just call me the president of Blue Note-aholics Anonymous. :g

*Means I had a disc or two, but traded/sold it.

Edited by Big Al

I'm still finding holes I didn't know I had.

Recently found

Hal McKusick - Jazz workshop (can't put my finger on what it is that makes this different from so much other w.coast that I listen to once and then file in the basement, but this has been getting a spin a couple times a week for quite a while)

Bill

Geographically, McKusick's Jazz Workshop is a wholly east coast record, though it's certainly not a hard bop blowing date. BTW, if you're curious about about McKusick would sound in a less-arranged setting, check out his "Triple Exposure (OJC), where the rhythm section is Eddie Costa, Paul Chambers, and Charlie Persip. Especially interesting for Chambers fans; he's captured with exceptional clarity.

No Armstrong*

No Ornette*

No Dizzy*

No Bird*

No Nessa records

No Cecil

No Trane Impulse*

No Dolphy

Very little Basie

My taste in jazz is about as conservative and boring as I am. Just call me the president of Blue Note-aholics Anonymous. :g

And I thought MY collection was biased!

But I've no Nessa; Cecil; Dolphy; No Max (except Money Jungle);one 78 of Basie (is that more derisory than having nowt at all?); only one Bud (Bud!).

MG

Which of these are you most surprised to see on the list? I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone can listen to jazz and have no Parker! Similarly Mingus, Davis, and Ellington... and Miles?

But the real surprose to me is the repetition of Art Pepper and Chet Baker!

No Armstrong*

No Ornette*

No Dizzy*

No Bird*

No Nessa records

No Cecil

No Trane Impulse*

No Dolphy

Very little Basie

Dude, what DO you have then? :) I mean, I would think Louis, Dizzy, Parker -- those would be about as "conservative" as one could get in the jazz establishment anyway!

Although my jazz record collection mostly focuses on 1930 to 1960 (ca.) recordings (with all styles represented fairly evenly), I plead guilty to owning

- only ONE John Coltrane ("Blue Train")

- NONE of Oscar Peterson's recordings for Verve released under his OWN name

(both cases of "you can always buy them anytime anywhere anyhow once you have explored all those rarer items that may be deletde lamost faster than they were released")