June 2007 Connoisseurs

Late

Don't mean to be anti-climactic, but I know a recent list of the June Connoisseurs was posted somewhere here (I read it!), but now I can't find the thread where it was lodged.

If someone feels like copying the list here, that would be great. The old 2007 "Wish List" thread is huge, so maybe we could also start a new discussion here of the upcoming Conns.

:rhappy:

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From this thread here is the list :

June 5th 2007 Connoisseurs

Andrew Hill-- Change

Jimmy Smith-- Straight Life

Kenny Cox-- Introducing Kenny Cox

Frank Foster-- Manhattan Fever

Stanley Turrentine-- Blues for Del

Stanley Clarke-- TBA

EDIT : Jazzitude lists the Stanley Clarke as ,"TBA Heads Up " . Stanley has a CD due out in June on this label , but it won't be a Connoisseur of course .

Edited by Chas

From this thread here is the list ...

D'oh! I knew I'd read it, but forgot which thread. Thanks Chas.

I see Cuscuna didn't bite on my Complete Pacific Jazz Gil Fuller Recordings idea. Or the Complete United Artists Herb Pomeroy Recordings. Ah well. Maybe in 2039.

No interest here for the Smith, Turrentine, or Clarke, but I'll be picking up the others.

Edited by Late

I see Cuscuna didn't bite on my Complete Pacific Jazz Gil Fuller Recordings idea. Or the Complete United Artists Herb Pomeroy Recordings. Ah well. Maybe in 2039.

I've suggested something similar to MC re: the EMI Pomeroy holdings. "Risky but tempting" was the reply; I think there's concern about how well it would sell. They did recently reissue the Irene Kral album with Pomeroy backing her, and that's a fine one (part of the "Great Jazz Vocals" series).

I agree, it's probably too risky — especially because Fresh Sounds reissued one of the Pomeroy large group recordings already.

Now the Gil Fuller idea — the Spanish pirates have yet to pounce! I'll have to write Cuscuna again, and tell him that I'll mail a freshly baked loaf of banana bread (*) to the Mosaic office if he'll mull it over some more.

* Goes well with Irish Breakfast tea.

I've suggested something similar to MC re: the EMI Pomeroy holdings. "Risky but tempting" was the reply; I think there's concern about how well it would sell. They did recently reissue the Irene Kral album with Pomeroy backing her, and that's a fine one (part of the "Great Jazz Vocals" series).

I've been bugging him for years about a complete Pomeroy set, with no success, and I had pretty much given up. Now it seems like the door is, if not wide open, at least cracked slightly.

By the way, are you Pomeroy fans aware of two sets which are hard to find - "Herb Pomeroy Live At Sandy's" (Red Rose Music, SACD only), and "Pramlatta's Hips - Live At The El Morocco," (Shiah) an LP set never issued on CD? Essential.

Tokyo Live would be a great Connoiseur.

That's the only Tony Williams album on Blue Note that's not out on CD yet, right?

I'm a bit saddened that Louis Smith's Smithville did not make the final list

after all. Maybe next time. I really like "Here Comes Louis Smith", the

band on Smithville is great and even though it's already out in Japan there

are two leftover tracks from that session that should be on the Connoisseur disc.

Tokyo Live would be a great Connoiseur.

That's the only Tony Williams album on Blue Note that's not out on CD yet, right?

I'm a bit saddened that Louis Smith's Smithville did not make the final list

after all. Maybe next time.

tony-williams-live-tokyo.jpg

Tony Williams' Tokyo Live came out as a 2-disc set in 1993. It received a 4-star review in DownBeat (along with Gary Bartz's Shadows, also 4-stars) at the time.

I agree — the Louis Smith is very nice.

Now the Gil Fuller idea — the Spanish pirates have yet to pounce! I'll have to write Cuscuna again, and tell him that I'll mail a freshly baked loaf of banana bread (*) to the Mosaic office if he'll mull it over some more.

* Goes well with Irish Breakfast tea.

Maybe you should just write to Fresh Sounds?

Jordi has left specific instructions at his Andorran post office box not to accept various breads.

I'd rather see it come out "officially" on EMI as well. Always the possibility of bonus tracks that way.

Why not go with the 1500 Yen edition of Smithville (TOCJ 6560)?

Does it contain the 2 extra tracks? They are really fine.

Which extra tracks?

The Japanese remaster TOCJ 6560 and all other CD reissues of Smithville that I know of have only 5 tracks.

Edited by J.A.W.

Which extra tracks?

The Japanese remaster TOCJ 6560 and all other CD reissues of Smithville that I know of have only 5 tracks.

"Tunesmith" and "Au Privave" .

First Issued on "The Other Side of the 1500 Series " ( Japan) .

Tony Williams' Tokyo Live came out as a 2-disc set in 1993.

Ah, right - it's just one of those hard to find BNs from the 80s/early 90s.

I'm still worried how long (and how much money) it'll probably take for me

to gather all those Stanley Turrentine Blue Note albums from that time...

Edited by Kyo

Which extra tracks?

Thanks.

Which extra tracks?

Thanks.

Damn.