Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

No rush from my side either .... still miss a few (all but the Abrams of the penultimate batch, I think - Douglas, Lewis, Hemphill, Adams they are).

But sets by Bang, Roach, or Mitchell would be highly welcome at any time ... no need for Hill, the rest of Abrams or Lyons here, got all those, but that's some mighty great stuff there!

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The John Lindberg catalogue is thoroughly overlooked and unheard by too many.

I admit to be one of them. I might spring for a set.

Listening for the first time streaming from the website

120072-2.jpg

and there is much more that I never heard but looks very interesting.

The John Lindberg catalogue is thoroughly overlooked and unheard by too many.

I admit to be one of them. I might spring for a set.

Listening for the first time streaming from the website

120072-2.jpg

and there is much more that I never heard but looks very interesting.

One of my missing discs. My favorite of the Lindberg black saints.

The two quartet records with Mangelsdorff are also fantastic as is Bounce with a wonderous performance from Dave Douglas.

Fwiw Ed Thigpen is the drummer on those two quartet sessions - Ressurection of a Dormant Soul has some very nice thematic material with the great trombonist captivating throughout.

Ubu could've also added Steve Lacy Groups (Trickles, Troubles, The Condor, Vespers, Revenue, The Cry 1+2)

Done! Actually thought about him, but forgot to add him as I did w/Murray and Waldron ...

Those Lindbergs look indeed mighty fine! I only know two or three of his discs on other labels (between the lines mostly) as a leader and they're very good.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Lyons and Blackwell go directly on to my "must have" list. People's thoughts on the Hamilton, Lacy, Trovesi, and Sun Ra? I'm not familiar with Trovesi, what is the music like? Is the Sun Ra the retro stuff he was into late? Is the Hamilton set all Cary DeNegris? My impressions of the Black Saint Lacy's is that they are pretty heavy on Irene Aebi. Is that the case? Thanks for your input!

Great stuff! I have all the Jimmy Lyons albums, but anyone who doesn't is in for a brilliant time. Those are incredible records, all.

felser, the Lacy albums are Abei-lite. She pops up a bit on Troubles and The Condor, is on pretty much all of Vespers and The Cry, but doesn't appear on Trickles, Revenue, Dutch Masters, Change of Season, or Regeneration. I think The Cry is pretty for only the most committed Lacyphiles, but the rest of the albums are some of his very best.

Great stuff! I have all the Jimmy Lyons albums, but anyone who doesn't is in for a brilliant time. Those are incredible records, all.

felser, the Lacy albums are Abei-lite. She pops up a bit on Troubles and The Condor, is on pretty much all of Vespers and The Cry, but doesn't appear on Trickles, Revenue, Dutch Masters, Change of Season, or Regeneration. I think The Cry is pretty for only the most committed Lacyphiles, but the rest of the albums are some of his very best.

Thanks, I'm in then.

"Vespers" is still pretty effin' great (and Aebi, btw, is starving in Belgium ... tough luck, it's not like being an artist is easy over here, but this really is tough).

I've got all the Lyons discs, too ... not sure if remastering might justify buying the box. Other than that, I'm most pleased by the Lacy and Trovesi (only know one of the albums, I think, and have no exact idea what the others are like, but I just love this guy). Will have to check out what's on the Blackwell (and the Ra). As for Hamilton, I'm surely in for the ride, no matter what.

"Vespers" is still pretty effin' great (and Aebi, btw, is starving in Belgium ... tough luck, it's not like being an artist is easy over here, but this really is tough).

I've got all the Lyons discs, too ... not sure if remastering might justify buying the box. Other than that, I'm most pleased by the Lacy and Trovesi (only know one of the albums, I think, and have no exact idea what the others are like, but I just love this guy). Will have to check out what's on the Blackwell (and the Ra). As for Hamilton, I'm surely in for the ride, no matter what.

Ubu, is that serious, that Aebi is "starving in Belgium"? Where did you get that news? That would be terrible.

CAM_Fall2014_zps2a5973e8.jpg

Bumping these links so that they are on this page.

I'm mega stoked for the Lacy set, had pretty much given up hope on ever seeing it. For me the others are all interesting but i'll have to do some investigating to see whether i can't live without them. That Sun Ra looks mighty interesting, and when it comes to Sun Ra it doesn't necessarilly need to be widely considered as top notch material for me to really dig it, however i'll still do the needful as i wouldn't say i've been burned by a dud Ra before so much as there's Ra sitting on my shelf that i never revisit and i don't need to add to that pile if i can avoid it.