GA Russell

Are there any box bargains currently available?

2,485 posts in this topic

On 17/01/2020 at 3:02 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

I don't think they could fill an lp I would buy.

:lol:

On 5/18/2019 at 8:02 PM, GA Russell said:

Four Manfred Mann BBC box sets are being released today.  Each is $16.98.  I will pick up the Chapter III set for sure.

Paul Jones
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Days-Vol-Live-1964/dp/B07PKDC3ZC/

Mike d'Abo
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Days-Vol-Live-1966-69/dp/B07PK6MXGY/

Chapter III
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Days-Vol-Sessions-Rarities/dp/B07PKDC54M/

Earth Band 1970-1973
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Days-Vol-Live-1970-73/dp/B07PK6MXGX/

It was fifty years ago today that I met Manfred, and that evening attended Chapter III's concert.  He let me plug my tape recorder into his system!

So today I have opened up this Chapter III set, and listened to the first disc.  It is much better than I expected.  More swing, less heavy than the studio recordings.

15 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

It was fifty years ago today that I met Manfred, and that evening attended Chapter III's concert.  He let me plug my tape recorder into his system!

So today I have opened up this Chapter III set, and listened to the first disc.  It is much better than I expected.  More swing, less heavy than the studio recordings.

What has kept me away is the film soundtrack music on the second disc.  Please report back on that after you give it a listen!

3 hours ago, felser said:

What has kept me away is the film soundtrack music on the second disc.  Please report back on that after you give it a listen!

You bet, John.

So, I can get King Crimson "On (And Off) The Road" for about $106 total right now on ImportCDs versus at DMG for around $150.  My question is can ImportCDs be trusted shipping an LP sized box set?  Cheap is great but not if it comes damaged.

1 hour ago, AaronG said:

So, I can get King Crimson "On (And Off) The Road" for about $106 total right now on ImportCDs versus at DMG for around $150.  My question is can ImportCDs be trusted shipping an LP sized box set?  Cheap is great but not if it comes damaged.

I've bought a few box sets from them, mostly classical.  I wouldn't say they arrive in perfect condition. One had a pushed-in corner, another had a lid with a tear in the corner.  I never received one in damaged condition, more like disappointing condition.  I don't think they take the greatest care with padding the inside of the shipping box.  Still, their prices can be great.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, AaronG said:

Yes, they should be fine.  And their customer service is good if you have any issues.  They are my go-to for most CD's these days.  I ordered the 10 CD Woodstock set from them last year, and it was perfect when it arrived.

Edited by felser

13 hours ago, AaronG said:

I’ve purchased LPs from Import CDs. They were very well packed.  No damage.