Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's interesting to note that the Ellington title in the "Original Masters" release was a new or different mastering than US issues of the material. Sounded good. I've never heard the Fats Waller entry, being so happy with the US box set, and having all the JSP sets, and . . . well I've a lot of Thomas Waller.

I'm with you... I liked the Ellington set, and the Waller is the same as the US set offered by Popmarket. No missing tracks -- both have 66 sides. When I put the Euro set in my computer, the album cover that shows up is the US long box cover.

As to "complete" sets, I have the JSP sets, and am happy with them. And did RCA ever finish their "complete" series? Am I misremembering, or did it poop out, undone after being 3/4ths finished? Or was it simply years before they finally polished it off?

The EU set has the same titles as the US, except one (can't remember which).

... the Waller is the same as the US set offered by Popmarket. No missing tracks -- both have 66 sides. When I put the Euro set in my computer, the album cover that shows up is the US long box cover.

Oops. My bad. I trusted the Amazon UK listing.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

As to "complete" sets, I have the JSP sets, and am happy with them. And did RCA ever finish their "complete" series? Am I misremembering, or did it poop out, undone after being 3/4ths finished? Or was it simply years before they finally polished it off?

They completed it on CD. It didn't get to the end of the series on vinyl. But RCA France had a compete set on vinyl. I remember oogling it at the record store back before CDs.

I see that Berkshire Record Outlet has the United Archives 13-disc Miles Davis live recordings 1948-1957 for $38.87.

Davis box

Thanks! That's a good price. Amazon US doesn't carry it, and Amazon UK has it for £40.99 (= $64.06 US). I snagged a copy. FYI, they're charging $7.20 shipping.

I see that Berkshire Record Outlet has the United Archives 13-disc Miles Davis live recordings 1948-1957 for $38.87.

Davis box

Thanks! That's a good price. Amazon US doesn't carry it, and Amazon UK has it for £40.99 (= $64.06 US). I snagged a copy. FYI, they're charging $7.20 shipping.

I received the Davis box today. Fast work, BRO!

• 2 weeks later...

JSP apparently does both: commission new transfers, and "lift" existing transfers. As far as solid proof for the latter, I believe that the Charlie Patton material was "proven" to be a lift from Revenant and some compensation ordered in court.

I've sets from them that are explicitly labeled as remastered either by Davies or his protege Kendall. I've heard a few others. . . wasn't that impressed.

But I thought the JSP Patton was supposed to sound better. (Can't remember where I read this.)

JSP apparently does both: commission new transfers, and "lift" existing transfers. As far as solid proof for the latter, I believe that the Charlie Patton material was "proven" to be a lift from Revenant and some compensation ordered in court.

I've sets from them that are explicitly labeled as remastered either by Davies or his protege Kendall. I've heard a few others. . . wasn't that impressed.

But I thought the JSP Patton was supposed to sound better. (Can't remember where I read this.)

Never heard that. Anxious for more info.

Never heard that. Anxious for more info.

The JSP is said to be a copy of the Revenant box and/or the initial Yazoo CDs. Most seem to think that the best sound is on the two most recent Yazoo CDs.

http://blindman.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=41570&hl=patton

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno whether this qualifies as a bargain (4 CDs / $31.82 / FS @ Amazon, lower base price at Jazz Loft), but looks pretty good to me:

512bcw35PBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The two sessions with Ricky Ford & Sonny Fortune are intense. Or, to be drama with it, INTENSE!!!

Either way, but with confidence.

Not exactly comparable, but you can get these MP3s on Amazon for:

Crowd Scene by Mal Waldron Quintet

$1.78

The Seagulls Of Kristiansund by Mal Waldron Quintet

$2.67

The Git Go-live At The Village Vanguard by Mal Waldron Quintet

$1.78

Where Are You? by Mal Waldron Quintet

$3.56

Not exactly comparable, but you can get these MP3s on Amazon for:

Crowd Scene by Mal Waldron Quintet

$1.78

The Seagulls Of Kristiansund by Mal Waldron Quintet

$2.67

The Git Go-live At The Village Vanguard by Mal Waldron Quintet

$1.78

Where Are You? by Mal Waldron Quintet

$3.56

Good point, I noticed those when listening to clips. But I'm one of those dinosaurs who doesn't yet do the mp3 thing, for various reasons. :blink:

Another interesting box, though it's not my cup of tea (I'd like some of the constituent discs, but the whole package is too much):

517Fkeu5gAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Same proviso re. mp3...