Jackie McLean Prestige vs Jackie McClean Blue Note POLL

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't want to be without either the Prestige sides or the Blue Notes.

If I had to choose say my six favorite recordings by Jackie McLean as leader,

there would be things from both labels represented.

Lights Out-Prestige

Jackie's Pal - Prestige

Bluesnik - Blue Note

A Fickle Sonance - Blue Note

and 2 more that would require some careful thinking?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly echo the feelings expressed above about the years 1963-65, or maybe rather 1962-66 or even '67 pr '68. "Demon's Dance" is growing here! And "Let Freedom Ring" should be included, too!

So it's BN all the way... of course the band with Draper and Webster Young is wonderful, too - but much of the Prestige music sounds somewhat rough and unfinished to me. Rough Jackie remained, his intense delivery was there all the time... but the music on those albums with Tolliver, Walter Davis, Hutcherson, Moncur... those are my favorites.

I love my kids as adults but only up to a certain point. Then they made choices I simply can't support. But they had more money as adults and a better grasp of their capabilities, so before they went off on their own in search of their true selves, they were good. Real good.

:g

Have I pushed Jim's analogy too far?

Not at all, because that "certain point" is where you can grow to understand how to love somebody who does things you don't understand, much less agree with.

Believe me, kids will do that to you in a big way...

I'm sure, except that my kids are short, hairy, walk on all fours, and don't speak clearly.

So the apple didn't fall far from the tree, eh? :lol:

No, they got that from their mother.

Bluesnik is one of my least favorites. I never really connected with it.

For me, I'd say that my "connection" was really the result of an intellectual (laughing at myself) exercise. I don't think I appreciated Bluesnik until I put it into context - it's all variations on the blues. I keep that "blues" lower case, because it's not all 12-bar "classical" Blues. (Rather like St. Louis Blues or Birth of the Blues) It shows both the versatility of the form and the creativity of McLean, Drew and Hubbard, as composers.

Bluesnik is one of my least favorites. I never really connected with it.

For me, I'd say that my "connection" was really the result of an intellectual (laughing at myself) exercise. I don't think I appreciated Bluesnik until I put it into context - it's all variations on the blues. I keep that "blues" lower case, because it's not all 12-bar "classical" Blues. (Rather like St. Louis Blues or Birth of the Blues) It shows both the versatility of the form and the creativity of McLean, Drew and Hubbard, as composers.

I like "Bluesnik" a lot - always have. Different strokes, I guess.

Blue Note. Although you're all encouraging me to listen to the Prestiges again. It's Lights Out that has stayed in my memory (Elmo Hope helps things along!). I love the Hutcherson/Moncur stuff as much for the writing and the ensemble vibe as for Jackie's own playing (which is wonderful in any case). There's a Blue Note twofer from the seventies with a quartet session with Larry Willis and the young Jack DeJohnette. I particularly remember a track called Moonscape. Lots of great music amongst the Blue Notes, and the ensemble concept varies considerably even within the space of a few years (say 1964-66 as in the Mosaic box set). BTW for me the sharpness is part of his sound/personality, and it doesn't usually bother me.

I like most anything by McLean except when he is about a quartertone sharp.

That rules out quite a lot. When is McLean not sharp? That is his approach.

Not early on and usually not a quarter-tone sharp.

When he gets ReallY sharp it can be too much for me to listen to a whole album!

This was later than the Prestige years.

Edited by flat5

Bluesnik was the album that really solidified my interest in Kenny Drew, iirc.

My Kenny Drew moment came in the Dexter Montmartre recordings.

That´s it.

See, when I started to dig jazz, and of course Jackie McLean, it was a very rough period for record-buyers in my country. Most of the Blue Note albums where OOP and hard to purchase. The best way to listen to Jackie Mc Lean and of course Dexter was buying those Steeplechase records. That´s what I did. Great records are : live at the Montmatre 1972 with the long version of "Parker´s Mood", then "A Ghetto Lullaby", and of course the two albums with Dexter and Jackie together, all of them with Kenny Drew on piano. I especially liked what Jackie plays on "Rue de la Harp" and "Another HairDo" (where he also quotes 52nd Street Theme).

It was much later during the CD era, that I could purchase all the BlueNote albums, and many of the Prestige albums.

See, when I started to dig jazz, and of course Jackie McLean, it was a very rough period for record-buyers in my country. Most of the Blue Note albums where OOP and hard to purchase. The best way to listen to Jackie Mc Lean and of course Dexter was buying those Steeplechase records. That´s what I did. Great records are : live at the Montmatre 1972 with the long version of "Parker´s Mood", then "A Ghetto Lullaby", and of course the two albums with Dexter and Jackie together, all of them with Kenny Drew on piano. I especially liked what Jackie plays on "Rue de la Harp" and "Another HairDo" (where he also quotes 52nd Street Theme).

It was much later during the CD era, that I could purchase all the BlueNote albums, and many of the Prestige albums.

Someone on this board once noted Jackie's debt to Dexter as a player - that was a major epiphany to me as a listener.

Someone on this board once noted Jackie's debt to Dexter as a player - that was a major epiphany to me as a listener.

Dexter was one of Jackie´s main inspirations when Jackie was a youngster. I think, the Savoy recordings from "Dexter Rides Again" inspired him very much. It is told, that Jackie, then an established master himself, was very exited by the possibility to play and record with his youth idol Dexter.

• 2 years later...

Jackie on "Help" and "Beau Jack" from "Jackie McLean and Co." -- it's like he's opened up a vein, if that image isn't too creepy. Those performances just floored me back in the day, and they still do -- didn't think or know that musical/emotional expression of that sort was possible, though there was the example of Pee Wee Russell "Stuyvesant Blues" with Max Kaminsky (Jazztone).