miles65

Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

883 posts in this topic

The Wilson will be coming out next year and something this year wouldn't surprise me. 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, mikeweil said:

... or the license for the MJQ box timed out.

This might not be well known, but Mosaic has/is(in recent years)been discontinuing sets before the licenses are timed out based on lack of sales/demand....if an item is out of stock they will many times do a final restock of 250 or so to fulfill perceived demand/orders and that will be it.  It's rare that a set will reach the 5000 sale mark if at all in this day in time(last 10 years).   I'm sure this wasn't the case back in the height of the CD buying days in the late 80's through early 2000's.

The Joe Pass and Henry Treadgill sets made a comeback on last chance.

On 6/28/2017 at 4:15 PM, bigbandrecord said:

This might not be well known, but Mosaic has/is(in recent years)been discontinuing sets before the licenses are timed out based on lack of sales/demand....if an item is out of stock they will many times do a final restock of 250 or so to fulfill perceived demand/orders and that will be it.  It's rare that a set will reach the 5000 sale mark if at all in this day in time(last 10 years).   I'm sure this wasn't the case back in the height of the CD buying days in the late 80's through early 2000's.

I've always wondered about Mosaic's business model -- or lack thereof. I don't know shit from Shinola, but it seems to me that if they were properly marketed those sets should sell out relatively quickly, or at least sell all they're going to sell. I don't understand why it takes Mosaic so long to sell out a set, considering the nature of its audience: if, as seems to be the consensus here, the market is mainly old geezers, it's not as if a lot of new young customers are coming along each year who have recently become interested in James P. Johnson or Eddie Condon & Bud Freeman -- and even if they were, Mosaic is such a well-kept secret that they'd probably never even know these sets existed. So if the market for a set is old farts who already know about Mosaic, when a new set is released the only reasons an old fart doesn't buy it immediately is 1) he doesn't want it, or 2) he knows it's going to be available for a long time, so he's in no hurry to buy now. Either way, it would behoove Mosaic to shorten the time sets are available. It might also be beneficial to start selling them through Amazon, to raise awareness. IIRC, I learned about Mosaic from a review on Amazon.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I've always wondered about Mosaic's business model -- or lack thereof. I don't know shit from Shinola, but it seems to me that if they were properly marketed those sets should sell out relatively quickly, or at least sell all they're going to sell. I don't understand why it takes Mosaic so long to sell out a set, considering the nature of its audience: if, as seems to be the consensus here, the market is mainly old geezers, it's not as if a lot of new young customers are coming along each year who have recently become interested in James P. Johnson or Eddie Condon & Bud Freeman -- and even if they were, Mosaic is such a well-kept secret that they'd probably never even know these sets existed. So if the market for a set is old farts who already know about Mosaic, when a new set is released the only reasons an old fart doesn't buy it immediately is 1) he doesn't want it, or 2) he knows it's going to be available for a long time, so he's in no hurry to buy now. Either way, it would behoove Mosaic to shorten the time sets are available. It might also be beneficial to start selling them through Amazon, to raise awareness. IIRC, I learned about Mosaic from a review on Amazon.

I think they are kind of already shortening the time of availability on the sly......they are just not formerly announcing it up front.....and it's apparently these old geezers that are penny pinching like dormitory college students by not buying a set when it first comes out and then suddenly when a set is on backorder(James P Johnson set for example) everybody is kicking themselves in the ass.  The reason I mention the JPJ set is because it was at best an afterthought when it first came out.  Although I think that some of these most recent sets will only have final sales of 1500 or less,  a good business model would be more sets released each year with lower announced print runs(1000-2000 etc.)   There still is plenty of older material left that deserves the Mosaic treatment that's had shoddy CD reissues(Think the Duke Ellington Carnegie Hall Concerts 1943-1947 with it's de-natured sound).

1 hour ago, bigbandrecord said:

(Think the Duke Ellington Carnegie Hall Concerts 1943-1947 with it's de-natured sound).

Was that on Prestige? I downloaded it a while ago and only gave it a cursory listen. Funny: mine says Prestige / Universal Classics & Jazz a division of Universal Music Italia s.r.l. ... Made in the E.U. As I recall, I didn't care for the way Ellington introduced every number in a dull, distracted manner, like a bored lecturer; it really sapped the performance of  vitality.

The problem with selling Mosaic sets on Amazon is that they would have to raise prices significantly to make up for the ridiculous amounts that Amazon charges. It used to be 15% plus 99 cents, but I noticed they were taking a far larger hunk out of my sales. I have basically abandoned Amazon. Half.com was a great place until eBay bought it and ruined it. A lot of stuff that used to sell could no longer be listed. For example, they treated all cutouts as promos and banned them, even though numerous cutouts were to prevent retailers from getting credit at full price on closeouts. 

I think the main issue is that younger generations aren't interested in owning boxed sets, as they opt for downloads, streaming on Spotify or sharing digital music with friends. I'm not about to tell Mosaic how to run things, I don't blame them for dropping their printed catalogs, as they were expensive to print and mail. That's something many brick & mortar music retailers have let go, though I still get them from Jazz Messengers.

I don't know why half.com still exists: their CD prices are always substantially higher than Amazon's. As for catalogs, they were almost completely unnecessary considering how infrequently Mosaic's offerings change. 

2 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

They don't. Or at least they won't after August 31. 

Half.com Closing Frequently Asked Questions

"We believe we can provide a greater selling opportunity for our selling community, and a better shopping experience for our buyers, by focusing on the core eBay.com platform."

Ha. Judging by the bugs, Half has been neglected for years. The prices shown in search results and wishlists aren't updated, so they may or may not be accurate. 

I never knew about the Carmen Leggio Mighty Quinn release. Looking forward to getting it. Leggio was (is? RIP or no?) a fine, fine player.

The Art Farmer single is now last chance.

Posted (edited)

On 06/07/2017 at 0:14 AM, Ken Dryden said:

The problem with selling Mosaic sets on Amazon is that they would have to raise prices significantly to make up for the ridiculous amounts that Amazon charges. It used to be 15% plus 99 cents, but I noticed they were taking a far larger hunk out of my sales. I have basically abandoned Amazon. Half.com was a great place until eBay bought it and ruined it. A lot of stuff that used to sell could no longer be listed. For example, they treated all cutouts as promos and banned them, even though numerous cutouts were to prevent retailers from getting credit at full price on closeouts. 

Well, the amount amazon charge is still pretty reasonable compared to a normal retail markup. Distribution costs money. If Mosaic used a proper distributor they would have saved on running that operation themselves and maybe reached more people. All too late now I suppose but - maybe there were other ways to go - ?

Edited by David Ayers

Maybe by charging a higher price on Amazon and the regular price at mosaicrecords.com they could drive traffic to their own website. It just seems to me that a presence on Amazon is essential. If Joe Schmoe wants to buy some CDs by, for example, Ahmad Jamal he's going to go to Amazon and probably end up with one of those cheap European public domain sets and never know about the Mosaic box.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Maybe by charging a higher price on Amazon and the regular price at mosaicrecords.com they could drive traffic to their own website. It just seems to me that a presence on Amazon is essential. If Joe Schmoe wants to buy some CDs by, for example, Ahmad Jamal he's going to go to Amazon and probably end up with one of those cheap European public domain sets and never know about the Mosaic box.

Although remember the era of the euromosaic - the sets licensed with Warner for European distribution. That came and went, but was the closest to mainstream distribution Mosaic ever got. There was a time too when amazon searches threw up Mosaic sponsored ads. All in the past anyway. You can stream the Mosaic Jamal now so buyers now are a minority.

The Olivier Nelson set is now oop.

Never did get the Nelson but don't regret it either. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Never did get the Nelson but don't regret it either. 

Had it but sold it, too much stuff I didn't care for or didn't like.

I had the same reaction to Nelson set as J.A.W.  I'd much rather play his early LPs on Impulse and Verve.  

Posted (edited)

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:06 PM, Captain Howdy said:

Was that on Prestige? I downloaded it a while ago and only gave it a cursory listen. Funny: mine says Prestige / Universal Classics & Jazz a division of Universal Music Italia s.r.l. ... Made in the E.U. As I recall, I didn't care for the way Ellington introduced every number in a dull, distracted manner, like a bored lecturer; it really sapped the performance of  vitality.

LP reissues came out in the late 70's on Fantasy/Prestige.....the sound on these are fine acceptable and at least it's real......@ 1991 4 2cd sets of this material was reissued with de-natured sound on the same fantasy/prestige moniker.  Fast forward to 2010 universal music Italia releases the same identical masters with the same crappy sound as the early 1990 reissues as an 8 CD set. This is what you downloaded.  The mastering probably did more to sap the performance of vitality than Ellington introducing every number.

Edited by bigbandrecord

Got a shipping notice for the Mingus set today. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, bluesoul said:

Got a shipping notice for the Mingus set today. 

Only 3 more back-ordered sets to go.......need that Goodman set soon.

Edited by bigbandrecord

On 7/18/2017 at 9:13 PM, bigbandrecord said:

LP reissues came out in the late 70's on Fantasy/Prestige.....the sound on these are fine acceptable and at least it's real......@ 1991 4 2cd sets of this material was reissued with de-natured sound on the same fantasy/prestige moniker.  Fast forward to 2010 universal music Italia releases the same identical masters with the same crappy sound as the early 1990 reissues as an 8 CD set. This is what you downloaded.  The mastering probably did more to sap the performance of vitality than Ellington introducing every number.

Agreed. In this case, the LPs are CLEARLY superior to the CDs.

On 7/7/2017 at 6:30 AM, JSngry said:

I never knew about the Carmen Leggio Mighty Quinn release. Looking forward to getting it. Leggio was (is? RIP or no?) a fine, fine player.

Carmen died some time ago. A wonderful, wonderful man.