Mark Stryker

Greatest LPs to never make it to CD

149 posts in this topic

I don't know about the greatest, but Curtis Amy's Mustang definitely merits a digital release.

Just scored two!! copies of this fine record, both yellow label radio dj mono promos, both in the same record store. The odds of that happening were pretty slim, but there they were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few of the Savoy Yusef Lateef's have not been individually released on cd and I wish someone would put out well-mastered LP facsimile cds of his entire output for the catalog. I have it all on LP but this would please me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For that matter, a lot of good music that was on the 2-LP Savoy reissues that Bob Porter produced in the 1980s doesn't seem to have reappeared on CD. Especially anthologies like "The Trombone Album," "Black California" with Patricia Willard's great liner notes, '40s-'50s swing and r-&-b, etc. Or a hot  Mutt Carey NY band from about 1947.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, not Vol. 1, but Vol. 2 of Black California made it via Savoy/Denon, minus a track or two I think. The Trombone Album also, minus a track or two, though I'm pretty sure all tracks made it on other cds. Pretty sure that the Mutt Carey material was on the Giants of Traditional Jazz cd release as well. But lots of the titles would have been nice to have like "Brothers and Other Mothers," the Harlem volumes, etc. 

91Stgxt8LnL._SX522_.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I can tell, Tiny Grimes' Profoundly Blue (Muse 1973) has not made it to CD.  I don't know how great it is, but I'd like to hear it one of these days.  It looks like I probably can pick up an LP for not that much lucre, so perhaps I shall do that.

Also, there is a Status compilation called Guitar Soul where the two Grimes tracks ended up coming out on a Fresh Sound compilation, and the Bill Jennings/Jack McDuff track has been out on a couple of McDuff compilations.  But there are three Kenny Burrell tracks that only appear to have been out on the Prestige LP The Best of Kenny Burrell, which also doesn't appear to have been out on CD.  So odd.  I may be wrong about this of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has this been mentioned? I don't remember a cd.

There%27ll_Be_Some_Changes_Made_%28album

 

Back on an earlier page someone mentioned Bobby Naughton's "The Haunt" (with Perry Robinson and Wadada). Bobby told me this will be issued on cd by Nobusiness with a bonus track.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2013 at 0:32 PM, sgcim said:

 

Yes, CTI put it out in 2011. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Moses-Records-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B0057FWU3I/ref=tmm_acd_title_0

 

I actually paid a somewhat unreasonable price for a used copy of the import, only to find (a bit too late) that the last track was damaged. So I was quite glad when it was reissued.

 

Great news. I wonder if Randy Weston was bugged that they re-issued that on CD? I don't know what he didn't like about it. It wasn't African enough?

That reminds me of the Joe Puma story. He was doing a gig with either Richard Davis or Ron Carter (I forget which), and the bass player said he was sick of doing all these standards written by white, Broadway songwriters. he wanted to do music of his people.

Joe said to him," Alright, you wait there for a minute. I'm gonna go outside and get a log, and you can beat on it."

 

Whoever it was should have taken the log and have beaten on Puma with it. He would have had to wait on a long line. Puma's blunt sense of humor burnt a lot of bridges.

Puma: Fine player, though. I've heard some stories about Puma's interactions with Chuck Wayne when they worked as a duo. They were funny bordering on bizarre, but I don't recall any details right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Has this been mentioned? I don't remember a cd.

There%27ll_Be_Some_Changes_Made_%28album

 

Chuck, that LP was briefly available on CD.  For some reason, it was re-titled Empirical.

41D3rnyxNsL.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

 

Chuck, that LP was briefly available on CD.  For some reason, it was re-titled Empirical.

41D3rnyxNsL.jpg

 

 

I have a copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i see a lot of ppl are posting Muse, Muse did have early cds, but i think they just were for current titles, c. 88-89? or did tlhey did reissues too.  what about sonny criss crisscraft, thats a older record they put on early cd, i have it..... there might be others

 

...is there a way on discogs to look at releases by format, ive never figured that out....you kind of have to click on each title....

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

...is there a way on discogs to look at releases by format, ive never figured that out....you kind of have to click on each title....

That's a feature I have been missing, too, when browsing label listings on discogs.

14 hours ago, ejp626 said:

As far as I can tell, Tiny Grimes' Profoundly Blue (Muse 1973) has not made it to CD.  I don't know how great it is, but I'd like to hear it one of these days.  It looks like I probably can pick up an LP for not that much lucre, so perhaps I shall do that.

Also, there is a Status compilation called Guitar Soul where the two Grimes tracks ended up coming out on a Fresh Sound compilation, and the Bill Jennings/Jack McDuff track has been out on a couple of McDuff compilations.  But there are three Kenny Burrell tracks that only appear to have been out on the Prestige LP The Best of Kenny Burrell, which also doesn't appear to have been out on CD.  So odd.  I may be wrong about this of course.

There were quite a few Prestige compilations they didn't remember when preparing CD reissues. They could have added the Burrell/Galbraith tracks to the "Two Guitars" album, e.g., but no .... must be real hard to look into a label discography.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just stepped over this, only Ella's tracks were on CD:

R-4653433-1395603289-2307.jpeg.jpg

The George Wallington piano solo and a Metronome All Star track never made it to CD.

 

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

That's a feature I have been missing, too, when browsing label listings on discogs.

There were quite a few Prestige compilations they didn't remember when preparing CD reissues. They could have added the Burrell/Galbraith tracks to the "Two Guitars" album, e.g., but no .... must be real hard to look into a label discography.

 

You can order the label listings alphabetically by "format".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

i see a lot of ppl are posting Muse, Muse did have early cds, but i think they just were for current titles, c. 88-89? or did tlhey did reissues too.  what about sonny criss crisscraft, thats a older record they put on early cd, i have it..... there might be others

Speaking of Muse, I was going to call out "Rope-a-Dope" but I guess it did come out in Japan in the 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2013 at 2:07 PM, clifford_thornton said:


It is. He still has copies available on vinyl and is making digital downloads available (his words were that the CD market just isn't viable).

For me the "quote function" is messed up. I was trying to quote the previous message.

I wanted to say 32 Jazz issued a double with Fast Last and Rope-a-Dope. I think Camden issued the same material along with the Bobo Shaw/Bowie session in England.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

aha -- that would make sense. Both of those Lester sessions on Muse are great. Never saw or met him, alas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I think Camden issued the same material along with the Bobo Shaw/Bowie session in England.

They did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I wanted to say 32 Jazz issued a double with Fast Last and Rope-a-Dope.

Indeed they did, and Muse also did an LP reissue of Fast Last with a new cover and called it Hello Dolly. This pissed me off to no end when my original FL came up missing, and I went looking for a replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YOU GUYS YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

 

we have to revisit APPLAUSE.............

 

Bobby Hutcherson: Natural Illusions..........................ITS ON CD........ on applause...........

Stanley Turrentine: Always Something there..........ITS ON CD..........on applause.........

theres not many but these two are the standouts you might not otherwise have..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

YOU GUYS YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

 

we have to revisit APPLAUSE.............

 

Bobby Hutcherson: Natural Illusions..........................ITS ON CD........ on applause...........

Stanley Turrentine: Always Something there..........ITS ON CD..........on applause.........

theres not many but these two are the standouts you might not otherwise have..........

Absolute shit sound on those though. It's like they digittized a well-worn Dolby cassette tape. I'll take the LP or a needle drop CD over these crappy bootlegs any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do they, oh god.  ok.  

 

dog you know what IS better than the lp?  i have paul chambers 1st bassman and "go" on early cd by some very small early us cd company "suite beat"--- no comparison between the lps and cds....i got rid of both in favor of the cd.  espically philly joe snare sound on "go", extreme hi-fi sound- even if it was not made from the master, its liek w/ the bowie cds-- its rather have an uncompressed cd of the lp cutting dub over a compressed sounding copy of the master.   

 

i totally believe u about the cds- i had my hopes up when i saw theres made in holland copies in addition to made in usa, for those applause cds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, you gotta realize that at the time, Blue Note was all but dead, and Applause was like making you parade naked in front of your conquerors and then they mock your impotence, like ha ha ha, look at the two-legged blind gerbils, they has ALL those riches and look, where is their god now?

"Applause", that was a sneer, not an enthusiatory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Dude, you gotta realize that at the time, Blue Note was all but dead, and Applause was like making you parade naked in front of your conquerors and then they mock your impotence, like ha ha ha, look at the two-legged blind gerbils, they has ALL those riches and look, where is their god now?

"Applause", that was a sneer, not an enthusiatory.

If you're talking about the original Applause LPs, you're right that they were legitimately licensed LPs from an "all but dead" Blue Note. I heard from someone that the whole deal was an accident. Before the mistake was discovered, the LPs were out there. The person answering the phone at the time probably thought, "Hey, some sucker wants to give us money for this stuff? Ha ha ha ha". And Applause seemed to just sling them out there using as little money as they could. They were pretty much an embarrassment to everyone involved.

The CDs were another thing entirely. Someone from the old Applause label found the licensing contract and said, "Hey, look, there's no expiration date on this. We can still issue these titles." They shopped this contract around to a few labels before they found a sucker willing to test the legality of it. My friend was working at One Way Records at the time and saw the contract. He laughed them out of the place. There was no way it was valid. He knew it and they knew it. Whoever made these CDs for them certainly had no access to a master tape because they didn't have a valid licensing deal in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG, those Applause CD's (and weren't they on LP too?) -- those were just about THE worst sounding things ever.  Like 6th generation cassette dubs, only worse.

To use a benchmark some here may be aware of:  However bad you think Stanley Cowell's "Brilliant Circles" sounds in it's most common Black Lion CD incarnation -- all those Applause reissues were EVEN WORSE than that.

Kind of hard to overstate just how bad they sounded, actually, come to think of it.  I had at least 2-3 of these on CD at one point - I think there were about 6-8 different Applause BN titles on CD (iirc).

Another metric:  They actually sounded much worse than the covers looked (which is also saying something).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.