Claude Williamson 1926 - 2016

duaneiac

I read via a West Coast Jazz message group that pianist Claude Williamson has passed away.  The message said his son confirmed that he passed away July 16.  He had been in a nursing home since suffering a broken hip last year.

He recorded albums as a leader as well as playing on albums by Chet Baker, Bud Shank, Barney Kessel, the Lighthouse All Stars and many others.

May he Rest In Peace.

Edited by duaneiac

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

R.I.P.

I bought the Affinity LP reissues of his Capitol LPs many years ago and liked them a lot, great Bud Powell inspired bebop piano. 

+1

And his records for Bethlehem, Contract and Criterion are very nice too. Bud Powell-inspired - yes, but no clone. There was more to him.

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Claude Williamson became a favorite in Japan. He made a lengthy list of recordings for Venus and other labels.

And I just pulled the trigger on copies of Blue Minor, his tribute to Sonny Clark, and Song for My Father, too. Blue Minor piqued my interest and I was amused to see that a Google search brought me right back here:

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

+1

And his records for Bethlehem, Contract and Criterion are very nice too. Bud Powell-inspired - yes, but no clone. There was more to him.

Didin't mean to say he was a clone - quite the contary. Compared to other West Coast based pianists he was a bit overlooked, methinks ...

Sorry to read this. Glad I was able to catch a solo piano recital by Claude Williamson at an open air event about 20 years ago though. It was a very impressive performance. RIP and thanks for that.

Interesting the comment above about him being a bit overlooked. The performance I saw was a bit low-key but there was no doubting the quality of the playing.

Edited by sidewinder

Williamson made three trio records with Sam Jones and Roy Haynes for Interplay Records. Quite the rhythm team!

I know and can recommend one of them: La Fiesta (1979).  This LP was also reissued on Discovery.

CW_LaFiesta.png

I haven't heard the others -- New Departure (1978) and Blues in Front (1978) -- but I bet they're good too. I plan to get 'round to them eventually.

CW_NewDeparture.png  CW_BluesinFront.png

Edited by HutchFan

I'm mainly familiar with Claude Williamson through the flawless Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges album, but he is all over the Cooper, Holman and Rosolino Mosaic, which I need to pull out.  I'll be picking up more of his work soon, as I have none of his leader dates.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Williamson, and rest in peace.