JSngry

Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

1,231 posts in this topic

Opinions on the Turrentine set??

7 minutes ago, mr jazz said:

I bought mine in 2010.  If you like that era Blue Note, it seems essential.  Just look at the players!  Some of my favorite dates in the box were in the vaults for many years, and first appeared on this twofer:

R-1292242-1363030461-1583.jpeg.jpg

yeah, if you don't already have t, now's the time. It's good stuff.

54 minutes ago, mr jazz said:

Go for it!  I don't think you'll experience regrets... also heartened to see that email (which indicates the Wilson is now expected to ship in mid-March, so hopefully not too much more of a wait on that one).

I'd also encourage anybody who's been on the fence about the 1932-40 Ellington to jump on that one as well.  I just finished listening to that set all the way through again; an amazing stretch of music.  

Got a reply now :)

And another couple o' :tup:tup:tup for Mr T!

Haven’t listened to the Turrentine set for awhile but as others have said, it’s worth it to pick it up. 

10 hours ago, mr jazz said:

Quite a good set! Been a while since I've taken it for a spin, but I'm not recalling any of the sessions being anything less than really great! 👍 👍 👍 

The Turrentine set is excellent - really nice selection of ‘sessions worthy of a higher profile’.

As soon as Jazz Messengers get it back in stock I will order one.

We should get jobs as Mosaic sales assistants.. :D

43 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Sales assistants selling to themselves or among each other ...:D If this sort of "sales perpetuum mobile" would work it would have been invented long ago. :lol:

You know, I'm looking at the Turrentine, and it's only 80 bucks. Didn't realize there were previously unissued materials involved, not many, but a few. That might be a deal maker for me.

Besides, this will put us all one step closer to that Bill Barron set that Cuscuna's surely gonna come out of semi-retirement to drive home to the finish line, one last triumph for unambiguously post-swing Mosaic sets, you go Michael Cuscuna, you GO!

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

You know, I'm looking at the Turrentine, and it's only 80 bucks. Didn't realize there were previously unissued materials involved, not many, but a few. That might be a deal maker for me.

Besides, this will put us all one step closer to that Bill Barron set that Cuscuna's surely gonna come out of semi-retirement to drive home to the finish line, one last triumph for unambiguously post-swing Mosaic sets, you go Michael Cuscuna, you GO!

For your sake (and for the sake of a good friend who's a Barron fan and who played with him once), I hope that the Barron set does happen.

Well, so far it's only happening here on the O-Board, but you know, tell a lie long enough and it becomes the truth...:g

And really, that's a set that should happen. Seriously.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

We already are - at least that's what I thought.

Can’t wait for the Barron. Will it include the unissued date with Don Cherry?

I'd love a Barron set despite having plenty of the likely contents on vinyl 

I was notified that a Mosaic order shipped yesterday. If you can't attend the open house that is coming soon, ask about getting a partial list of what they have available. Michael Cuscuna read my post here and emailed me a list, which I greatly appreciate. I guess that the Teddy Wilson is en route.

On 3/8/2018 at 0:41 AM, David Ayers said:

Can’t wait for the Barron. Will it include the unissued date with Don Cherry?

Dream on!!

22 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Dream on!!

Has this actually ever been mentioned by anyone at Mosaic? 

You think that Mobley set took a long time to sell out?  Consider how long a Bill Barron issued in this post-CD era would take to sell 5,000 copies (though I'd pre-order it).

I received my order from the upcoming open house sale. The Woody Shaw CBS set, which I had neglected to buy. Hope to listen to it this weekend after I finish transcribing and editing my interview with Jim McNeely. 

Edited by Ken Dryden

9 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I received my order from the upcoming open house sale. The Woody Shaw CBS set, which I had neglected to buy. Hope to get to it this weekend after I finish transcribing and editing my interview with Jim McNeely.

If you don't/can't get a copy of the Woody Shaw CBS set, I've got one I'd be glad to send you (in excellent shape).  I don't have a specific price in mind, but I would donate EVERY penny directly to Jim for running this board (you can pay him (the board) directly).  So while I might haggle to at least get something reasonable for it -- it wouldn't be for my own benefit -- only the benefit of the Big O Board (and I'll even throw in the cost of shipping myself).

On 14/03/2018 at 6:35 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I was notified that a Mosaic order shipped yesterday. If you can't attend the open house that is coming soon, ask about getting a partial list of what they have available. Michael Cuscuna read my post here and emailed me a list, which I greatly appreciate. I guess that the Teddy Wilson is en route.

I asked for one but didn’t hear back.:huh:

Planning on driving up to Connecticut on Thursday. Maybe see some of you there!

Edited by Jordan
Might have given too much info