Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jazzkrow

Jack Sheldon

48 posts in this topic

I just saw online on a jazz West Coast blog that Jack Sheldon passed away a few days ago. Awaiting confirmation

Confirmed in many places on Facebook. He passed away December 27th. His funeral will be January 10th

Sad to hear but he had a highly productive life. Go in peace.

Such a character!

Worked 2 times (by remote communication) with Jack.

I spoke on the phone with him while building an all star group for the Chicago Jazz Festival. This was to be a West Coast Group built around Art Pepper. It was to be a quintet and I lined up Art, Jack, Russ Freeman and Shelly Manne. I suggested Monty Budwig but Art objected and wanted Bob Magnusson. Anyway I spoke to all but Magnusson and they agreed. Unfortunately Art Pepper died before the event.

The second time was when I edited and assembled Jack's Uptown date.

He could be a charmer.

411M5RYF02L.jpg

Think I'll listen to one of the Curtis Counce dates now.

Edited by Chuck Nessa
typo

You should tell the Lester Bowie story about Jack.

Let us not forget the role he played in teaching American youth how our system of government works:

Here is a bunch of records from my Jack Sheldon collection

37559506rj.jpg

37559504xj.jpg

37559498pn.jpg

37559507pn.jpg

37559501zw.jpg

37559493oe.jpg

Glad I got to see him - he was quite a character and a fine player. Will spin his West Coast Classics CD - RIP.

What à great trumpet payer he was...

and quite an amazing character  too!

Wish I had heard him and seen him live!

The time I saw him, he played in a few reunion lineups and participated in a panel session. Still very much on form and a natural comedic talent.

Just saw him last night on an episode of "Dragnet 1970".  As many are aware, Jack Webb was a big jazz fan.  He used Shelton numerous times on his shows.  Funny and talented guy.

Edited by Dave James

I am glad I had the opportunity to see him a couple of times. 

My favorite examples of Jack's playing are on the Curtis Counce albums on the Contemporary label.

R.I.P.

I remember a snippet from the notes to Art Pepper's Hollywood Sessions box in which Laurie said simply, "Art loved Jack!" It seems he was one of those universally beloved characters. RIP.

gregmo

A very good latter-day Sheldon album:

51rJWRu0jnL.jpg

BTW, the Sheldon--Lester Bowie story I asked Chuck to tell. Bowie was at a concert or gig in the Boston area IIRC. Sheldon came out onstage and said something like: "You may notice that I look a bit different these days [a reference to his good-sized belly]. Well, I've been f---ing a lot lately, and I got pregnant."

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

A very good latter-day Sheldon album:

51rJWRu0jnL.jpg

BTW, the Sheldon--Lester Bowie story I asked Chuck to tell. Bowie was at a concert or gig in the Boston area IIRC. Sheldon came out onstage and said something like: "You may notice that I look a bit different these days [a reference to his good-sized belly]. Well, I've been f---ing a lot lately, and I got pregnant."

That is correct.

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I remember a snippet from the notes to Art Pepper's Hollywood Sessions box in which Laurie said simply, "Art loved Jack!" It seems he was one of those universally beloved characters. RIP.

gregmo

Yeh, I've always been pissed off by Pete Weldings liner notes for The Return of Art Pepper where he wastes a lot fo space knocking Sheldon's contribution.  (And IIRC Mosaic reprinted those notes in their Pepper Select.) 

R.I.P. 

To my ears he was unpredictable as a trumpet improvisor.

Martin Williams had a negative view of Sheldon too, probably based on Jack's work with Curtis Counce. IIRC, it went something like, "He imitates Miles but puts the climaxes in all the wrong places." One knows what aspect of Sheldon c. 1956 Martin was referring to, but while some of the sudden sotto voce moves that Jack liked to make back then could be rather coy, Martin didn't get that they were also a function of Jack's sense of humor.