EKE BBB

Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto (Impulse) --> fresh new monk!

339 posts in this topic

Turns out my order with amazon.co.uk was marked as dispatched !?! At the same time the refund is listed. But it is listed as sold by chalkys. The new offer is sold by amazon uk! I tried again, and so far it went through, CD was notified as being in stock. Even cheaper than the previous offer. Okay ......

Typing "Monk Palo Alto" into the search field on amazon.de only yields ads for expensive shoes ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Turns out my order with amazon.co.uk was marked as dispatched !?! At the same time the refund is listed. But it is listed as sold by chalkys. The new offer is sold by amazon uk! I tried again, and so far it went through, CD was notified as being in stock. Even cheaper than the previous offer. Okay ......

Typing "Monk Palo Alto" into the search field on amazon.de only yields ads for expensive shoes ....

Hope you don't get charged 2 or 3 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My copy has just arrived! There's hope for all of you who ordered from Amazon UK in the last couple of days.

Now to play it and see if it's worth all the fuss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

My copy has just arrived! There's hope for all of you who ordered from Amazon UK in the last couple of days.

Now to play it and see if it's worth all the fuss

Is it April 1? :blink::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, something weird about how UK all of a sudden got it, y'all come get it now, but what the hell, let's see how that goes. I like a good magic show as much as anybody!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Is it April 1? :blink::D

Not the last time I looked but given how weird 2020 has been...

And, I'm no Monk aficionado but I'd say it's definitely worth the fuss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This is an excellent Monk release - well worth the effort.

Maybe the UK’s new trade deals are kicking in? :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Mr Abbott :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

My copy has just arrived! There's hope for all of you who ordered from Amazon UK in the last couple of days.

Now to play it and see if it's worth all the fuss

Great news! I ordered a copy yesterday, but no dispatch notice yet, so crossing my fingers—also on the other side of the pond, so it’ll be sometime before it arrives, if it does indeed ship. Is the UK still under EU copyright law? No idea in the wake of Brexit how it may still apply to UK or where the UK is in terms of officially being out, but wondering if the 50-year limit is allowing this release to slip through overseas... given that the recording was made in 1968?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Great news! I ordered a copy yesterday, but no dispatch notice yet, so crossing my fingers—also on the other side of the pond, so it’ll be sometime before it arrives, if it does indeed ship. Is the UK still under EU copyright law? No idea in the wake of Brexit how it may still apply to UK or where the UK is in terms of officially being out, but wondering if the 50-year limit is allowing this release to slip through overseas... given that the recording was made in 1968?

British copyright acts says

"Sound Recordings

50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was created, or,

if the work is released within that time: 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first released." 

Does that mean that copyright actually expired on Jan 1 2019? (Which is the same as the "EU copyright law" BTW)

 

Edited by Daniel A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered my copy as well. We'll see.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a shipping confirmation from amazon.co.uk ...... no double charging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I received a shipping confirmation from amazon.co.uk ...... no double charging.

:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting for it to come out that all these copies suddenly popping up are some sort of underworld counterfeit game, or some other gangster game being played from within what's left of "the industry"

Still, I've ordered mine. Why stop now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We'll see what's in the small print on the back cover.

 

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered on Saturday, shipped today (well Monday in England).  Won’t arrive here until 9/22 - that’s OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't order from Amazon UK here in Australia anymore but can still buy from Amazon US though (no good in this situation) - amazingly I was able to place an order via Amazon Australia - we'll see what transpires

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received a notice from amazon UK that my Monk CD has been dispatched. Whomsoever screwed this release up, that will show you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am slow off the mark and honestly either way doesn't matter to me but this seems like the right place to share this, which I just found on eBay (there's a copy of Palo Alto for $80 right now). How did Boris ever come up with this title?  :blink::o

monk.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The UK saves the day ! :lol:

At least it's still good for one thing then ... still waiting for a shipping notification for my Saturday order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a shipping notice. Happy about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered last Thursday and it was shipped on Saturday. Expected delivery the day after tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep checking Amazon here in the US but it still says that the product is unavailable. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed to not be able to get an album before! I hope whatever resolution appears to have been reached for the UK is also resolved in the US soon!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not order it from amazon.co.uk ? Even with the longer shipping time you are likely to get this long before it appears on amazon.com (just my guess, but. . . .)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.