catesta

Charles McPherson

74 posts in this topic

I meant in the prior post that "(bebop) ghost" was likely used pejoratively by certain people "at the time" (in Jim's words). Not that Jim was using it in that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still a good phrase. I meant that I detected no hostility towards McPherson in its use upthread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once I heard "The Chill Of Death", that fixed me as McPherson admirer for all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3.5.2022 at 2:51 PM, JSngry said:

Once I heard "The Chill Of Death", that fixed me as McPherson admirer for all time.

At first listening (and this was after hearing my first Mingus 3-LP with Dolphy in Paris, the albums with McPherson maybe were a bit a disappointment to me ("Mingus at Monterey" and "My Favourite Quintet", but now I really like them. He sounds like a more mellow Bird maybe with a softer reed (maybe in the later years 1953,54). Since Mingus played with Bird in that period I think he chose McPherson for that "Bird Sound".  It´s very significant on his solos in the jam session "Mingus at Carnegie Hall 1974 ten years later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Learned to appreciate Charles McPherson while he was member of the Nat Adderley Brotherhood in 1980 ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8.5.2022 at 8:49 AM, soulpope said:

Learned to appreciate Charles McPherson while he was member of the Nat Adderley Brotherhood in 1980 ....

Was that at Wiesen 1980. Too bad that 1980 was the only one I missed....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Was that at Wiesen 1980. Too bad that 1980 was the only one I missed....

Yep .... the band also featured Jerome Richardson ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

I really really really really really really wish he toured a little, I havent seen him in 25y

Charles is 82 years old so he probably needs to limit his touring these days. His website shows that he is playing at the Bern Switzerland Jazz Festival at the end of this month: https://charlesmcpherson.com/event/bern-switzerland-international-jazz-festival/2022-05-24/

You could always fly there. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or get one of those George Fenneman watercars and drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bresna said:

Charles is 82 years old so he probably needs to limit his touring these days. His website shows that he is playing at the Bern Switzerland Jazz Festival at the end of this month: https://charlesmcpherson.com/event/bern-switzerland-international-jazz-festival/2022-05-24/

You could always fly there. :)

you mean boat.  i could boat there.  glad hes playing, but sucks it so far for him- 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Drive.

 

Sold - provided it comes with the fried chicken, the Diet Pepsi and the first mate :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accessories sold separately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way off the track of a Charles McPherson thread.  It strikes me as disrespecting McPherson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, that one Venus cover - THAT was disrespecting Charles McPherson.

This is just BAU Organissimo Thread Drift.

Pretty sure that we all love Charles McPherson, and if I could get one of those Amphicars that could/would make the trip to Bern, yeah, I would do it. Damn straight I would.

Would you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If anyone hasn't yet gotten the two CDs he offers at his website, I highly recommend them. I put one of the tracks from Jazz Dance Suites in my BFT offering last year and it got some good reviews. The other one, a 1990 live date, is excellent as well. 

Edited by Dub Modal
Wrong link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

If anyone hasn't yet gotten the two CDs he offers at his website, I highly recommend them. I put one of the tracks from Jazz Dance Suites in my BFT offering last year and it got some good reviews. The other one, a 1990 live date, is excellent as well. 

I have both and you are correct that they are both very good.

FYI - I fixed your link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, bresna said:

I have both and you are correct that they are both very good.

FYI - I fixed your link.

Thanks! I’m sure no one wants to read about AM Best :lol:

Edited by Dub Modal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Way off the track of a Charles McPherson thread.  It strikes me as disrespecting McPherson.

Bought his two CDs as penance :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JSngry said:

No, that one Venus cover - THAT was disrespecting Charles McPherson.

This is just BAU Organissimo Thread Drift.

Pretty sure that we all love Charles McPherson, and if I could get one of those Amphicars that could/would make the trip to Bern, yeah, I would do it. Damn straight I would.

Would you?

I did a phone interview awhile back with Charles McPherson and he was furious about the photo Tetsuo Hara chose for his CD. No wonder he never again recorded for the label. 

I’d love to hear Charles McPherson in any venue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2022 at 2:43 PM, Eric said:

Bought his two CDs as penance :P

Enjoy! :tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I did a phone interview awhile back with Charles McPherson and he was furious about the photo Tetsuo Hara chose for his CD. No wonder he never again recorded for the label. 

I’d love to hear Charles McPherson in any venue.

Wow - caught a glance of the Venus cover at Discogs - WTF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.